Get a grip, this is a rebuilding season. (2 Viewers)

Voice_of_Reason

You can't just throw a team of virtually new players and expect immediate results regardless of their value.
This season is like other seasons since MR took over management where a rebuild was needed in the past.
MR stressed this was a season of consolidation and it would take time. The only missing links are that Gus has not been replaced and a striker of Vic's quality. I think both Ellis and Wright will come good.
Trust the process, this is a season of a mid table consolidation ready for a push next season.

AFCCOVENTRY

You can't just throw a team of virtually new players and expect immediate results regardless of their value.
This season is like other seasons since MR took over management where a rebuild was needed in the past.
MR stressed this was a season of consolidation and it would take time. The only missing links are that Gus has not been replaced and a striker of Vic's quality. I think both Ellis and Wright will come good.
Trust the process, this is a season of a mid table consolidation ready for a push next season.

That’s fine but Middlesbrough are in the same boat and look how they’re performing?

I get players need to gel but the reality is some of the new players are have been struggling to perform. For an example a striker in front of goal with a great goal scoring opportunity has to score. It has nothing to do with gelling.

I do agree this season is a right off .If we get some midfielders in Jan then mid table is as good as it will get. Until then this is a bottom half team.

The bigger issue is there will be lower crowds next season based on this one if it ends like we started. So Doug won’t be happy with lower season ticket sales.

There’s pressure all round the club for performance and results to pick up.

Alkhen

Yep had a feeling this season would be a bit of a building year. Didn't expect us to struggle quite as much but either way I looked at it the league looked stronger and we looked weaker so promotion was never really likely.

I mean even if we'd hung onto Gus there is no way on paper we should be able to compete with the 3 that got relegated from the Prem. So it's probably a good time to build with a little less pressure. It's so clear we are missing a dynamic midfield player. I really hope we go big in January and get an established player and at least another prospect that we can bed in

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Everyone has a degree of patience, but two things make that a challenge in the end.

The first is the money we've spent. You would expect some sort of immediate return from certain players. That isn't really happening. The second is that the management is making a lot of poor decisions. What we did yesterday was something many of us have been calling for, for a long while. Certain players have been benched that also should have been playing. It is a concern when a fairly unanimous calling from the fans is actually correct, and the manager looks wrong.

We all get that it can take some time, we've seen enough shit as a fan base. Some of the things that have been happening have been a bit concerning though. I think it's acceptable to voice that.

Alkhen

Everyone has a degree of patience, but two things make that a challenge in the end.

The first is the money we've spent. You would expect some sort of immediate return from certain players. That isn't really happening. The second is that the management is making a lot of poor decisions. What we did yesterday was something many of us have been calling for, for a long while. Certain players have been benched that also should have been playing. It is a concern when a fairly unanimous calling from the fans is actually correct, and the manager looks wrong.

We all get that it can take some time, we've seen enough shit as a fan base. Some of the things that have been happening have been a bit concerning though. I think it's acceptable to voice that.

Agreed to a degree but was so obvious yesterday that the strikers are feeding of scraps. I love Eccles, Allen and Sheaf but they are not the players you need to quickly break lines with balls for the front 3 to run on to. It especially hampering Simms in my opinion he was in good position more than a few times and no ball came. The one time it did he had a decent effort fizz wide.

This team and these new players would look a whole lot better if we had that ball playing dynamic midfield pivot to spring attacks quickly.

We just don't have that after Hamer left

Voice_of_Reason

I agree, but in at least 4 games this season we could, and should have won. That would have put us in the play offs on 28 points. Referee decisions have gone against us, eg v Preston. Yesterday, Stoke have the best defence in the league over the last four games yet we still created chances. Only in about 4 games this season have we been dire.
I don't think we are too far off a really good team just need to replace Gus.

Esoterica

I think, with the right creative signing in January, that we’re going to be excellent next season and I’m in the vast minority in enjoying watching the squad develop.
But football is entertainment and an escape, for many, from the real life issues that a lot of folks have. The euphoria or despair has the power to make or break a weekend or the time until the next fixture. I totally get why some people see it through such a myopic lens.

Alkhen

I think, with the right creative signing in January, that we’re going to be excellent next season and I’m in the vast minority in enjoying watching the squad develop.
But football is entertainment and an escape, for many, from the real life issues that a lot of folks have. The euphoria or despair has the power to make or break a weekend or the time until the next fixture. I totally get why some people see it through such a myopic lens.
Good take. My 11yr old lad, who like most kids is in it for the goals and glory usually, walked away yesterday saying that was a good game.

It's all about progress and finding a system that works and yesterday felt like a big step forward.

Last edited:

Voice_of_Reason

Good to see most understand this judging by the replies.

Voice_of_Reason

I think most people understand this is a transition season. However Doug King has repeatedly stated we will be in the play offs 3 out of 5 seasons and will never be looking at relegation. He also assured us we upgraded in every position during the summer.

If you want people to have patience and understand the process, don’t lie to them
How has Doug lied ? This is season one out of five. The players signed were bought for development, not for immediate impact. To expect us to replace Gus and Vic with better players is impossible. However, I respect your opinions.

lord_garrincha

With them being on the pitch watching Godden, hopefully the 2 new strikers can see the levels they need to aspire to become first choice in that central role.

Greggs

Were season tickets marketed as such?

stupot07

We have played 17 games in all competitions, that's over a third of a season. At some point the gelling argument starts to lose its weight regardless of whether this is a transition season or not. Averaging 1 log after 16 league games, a few places above relegation is not good on any level.

Obviously I'd doesn't helped that season tickets were marketed as 'operation premier league' with people asked to pay considerable more.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frankly_Mr_Shankly

Keep dreaming buddy 👍

Greggs

Where is mid table coming from? You sound rather arrogant. We've got 2 points from 18.

pusbccfc

Where is mid table coming from? You sound rather arrogant. We've got 2 points from 18.

The worry is, all people keep saying is that we're a mid-table side and are playing good football.

Since the Middlesbrough win (days after losing to a League 2 side) on August 12th we've won 2 games. That's not mid-table form..

Grendel

How has Doug lied ? This is season one out of five. The players signed were bought for development, not for immediate impact. To expect us to replace Gus and Vic with better players is impossible. However, I respect your opinions.

How long is it taking to develop? When you see Ipswich running away with second spot, Cardiff with zero funds to spend and the likes of Hull and Preston challenging how can you seriously say 20th and 3 wins to date is remotely acceptable? Especially as prices to see games are up and the match experience is poorer?

Hertsccfc

I am now largely resigned to this being a season of transition at best but I don't share your positively about that. It doesn't necessarily follow that the outcome long term will be improvement. In my view you have to look to improve all the time, otherwise decline can easily set in especially as the crowdbase becomes disinterested.

Replacing two outstanding players and a couple of very good loans was always going to be difficult. However, if we had carried on with the same approach as recent years we could have continued to progress. Just going for potential with an eye for making future profits, at the expense of a blend of experience and effective use of the loan market is a risky strategy. I know the common view is that we will be getting £15M minimum for Simms in a year or two but what happens if he gets injured or if it just doesn't happen?

So many managers fall for this 'we're building long term' strategy and pay the price when the team falls away. That just might happen to Robins.

Brighton Sky Blue

Cast your mind back to the begining of last season's games when early on we lost 4 in a row and some were writing us off as rubbish and doomed.
People didn’t expect to be storming the league. They just also didn’t expect to be in a battle for survival which make no mistake, this team is in one.

Hertsccfc

A year ago today (albeit a few games further into the season due to the WC) we'd just won our 4th game in a row and we're 2 points off the play offs with a game in hand...
Last season there were legitimate reasons for our slow start, which were arguably outside our control.

Matt smith

How long is it taking to develop? When you see Ipswich running away with second spot, Cardiff with zero funds to spend and the likes of Hull and Preston challenging how can you seriously say 20th and 3 wins to date is remotely acceptable? Especially as prices to see games are up and the match experience is poorer?
‘The team needs time to gel’

Cally Fedora

Some of the team is gelling. Defensively we have started to look ok. Going forward Robins needs to decide who his best two are (Wright and Simms for me). You can’t carry on with three CF’s as the link to midfield is missing and it looks disjointed like yesterday.

slyblue57

thank god u ve explained it to me, I did nt realised that we are the only team thats signed new players, phew, great news pusb

Ashdown

Normally haven’t we built and progressed , this time round we’ve built and gone backwards. You would have thought by mid November the manager would at least know his best 11 and formation. It seems we have to wait for Saddlebrains every week to give us a clue as to what we are trying this time around.

Super Graham Withey

Normally haven’t we built and progressed , this time round we’ve built and gone backwards. You would have thought by mid November the manager would at least know his best 11 and formation. It seems we have to wait for Saddlebrains every week to give us a clue as to what we are trying this time around.
And the solution is? Last season 2 high quality players dragged some very average players into a play off final with a good deal of luck along the way. Expectations were and still are way two high for this season. Don't forget for all the bodies through the door we sold Hamer and Vik for more than we've spent. Thinking of which I haven't heard the Doug King song lately...

pusbccfc

And the solution is? Last season 2 high quality players dragged some very average players into a play off final with a good deal of luck along the way. Expectations were and still are way two high for this season. Don't forget for all the bodies through the door we sold Hamer and Vik for more than we've spent. Thinking of which I haven't heard the Doug King song lately...

Tbf we've been rubbish since that song stopped being sung

Users who are viewing this thread