Gardner (1 Viewer)

Quball

Not sure if anyones already mentioned it but a quick brief read of sundays gossip section on the bbc is the following

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish is considering recalling midfielder Gary Gardner who is currently on loan at Coventry as a replacement for injured Jermaine Jenas.

clicking on the link that takes you to the full storyhttp://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/12/10/aston-villa-mcleish-considers-recall-of-gary-gardner-97319-29928447/

For those that cant be arsed to click and read this is it

ALEX McLeish is weighing up midfielder Gary Gardner’s loan situation at Coventry following the Jermaine Jenas injury episode.

Gardner must remain at the Ricoh Arena until late December, not early January as first mooted, as there is no instant recall under the standard 28-day emergency loan.

But McLeish is considering bringing the England under-21 star back to Villa at that stage despite the Sky Blues wanting to keep him for longer, possibly up until the 93-day limit.

If McLeish did opt to leave Gardner out on loan, he would have a 24-hour recall option after the first 28 days.

“There is every possibility Gary will come back, but we’ll see,” said McLeish.

“I think it is a big ask to say Gary is going to be the guy who will blow everybody away. We’ve got three out on loan as it is so I suppose we are down to 21/22 players.”

Gardner is expected to play in struggling Coventry’s Championship match against Hull today after overcoming an ear infection. Meanwhile, rookie defender Eric Lichaj is targeting a return to training in January after hip surgery.

So do you think he will go back? will we miss him if he goes back?

Astute

We would miss him if we started playing him further up the pitch to give him a chance to show us what he can do

Otis

Therefore we won't miss him.

AT seems most reluctant to play him in his rightful position.

edgy

Id imagine GG is itching to go back. Playing in such a poor quality side must be bad enough, but playing all over this dreadful diamond midfield must be driving him crazy.

Otis

If we were going to play the diamond formation yesterday with a holding player then that holding player had to be Bigi. McShuff or Thomas would have to have made way and Gardner could then have played in his rightful position.

This is CCFC though. Why on earth would we consider that!

Stevec189

Listening to AT on CWR I think he did consider it but came to the conclusion that Bigi and Conor are not good enough to play that role.

However I think Sheffers will be dropped next game and we will have a midfield consisting of 2 18 YO a 21 YO and Baker. Not convienced that is good enough!

Otis

Understand him thinking that, but if Gardner is as good as he's supposed to be then you play to his strengths and if necessary ditch the diamond formation and play to a system that accommodates the players you've got at your disposal.

Ohh..... hang on ..... wasn't that exactly what Thorn said he was going to do this season anyway?

We need goals from midfield. Gardner is a goalscoring midfielder. Not rocket science is it.

So rather than change the system he decided to play players out of position in order to continue playing the system that has brought about this terrible run of late and how many points exactly? :facepalm:

EleanorRigby

Alex McLeish could help our cause and withdraw Craig Gardener from his loan spell here and make it clear he is not having one of his starlets influenced by an ex-Scotland Yard chancer. I don't think Gardener will play again anyhow a slight injury or dead leg i should think. If he is injured he can go back i believe for treatment.

CUS Wyken

What makes me laugh I got slated on here for saying it was a bad loan and so far I've been proved right. All this he's quality and the Villa scum were coming on here saying he's quality. I don't see anything in him to believe all that hype.

And at the same time the great tactician Thorn plays him too far back. Clueless

Grendel

What makes me laugh I got slated on here for saying it was a bad loan and so far I've been proved right. All this he's quality and the Villa scum were coming on here saying he's quality. I don't see anything in him to believe all that hype.

And at the same time the great tactician Thorn plays him too far back. Clueless

He clearly is a talented player and also clearly has attacking intent. I also couldn't care less where he came from if he adds value - which he would if we played him in a more attacking role.
I managed to hear a bit of the CWR summary on the way from the ground by Andy Blair who pretty much said that the formation we play is contributing to defeats. Everyone bemoans lack of quality but then whay try and play a passing game that we have not got players to suit the roles? We have lost so many games this season by the odd goal. Better tactical judgement would invetably have gained the team more points. If it was purely that we were out of our depth then we would be hammered every week but even top sides only win by the odd goal. The person most out of their depth is not the players but the manager who proves himself more inadequate as the weeks go on.

SkyBluesAndy

Facebook User
The diamond formation is made more of a worse choice to use when you aren't even playing your 1st choice full backs because they provide the width - sorry but Wood is not a player who is going to provide this width and is not suited to bombing down the left side making crosses although I salute him for the effort he puts in anyway. It leaves us massively exposed and with zero effect going forward this way. Works better with Christie and Hussey and then you have to choose a midfield 4 that work on top of that which clearly didn't yesterday. Can't help feeling baffled by team selection, formations and subs. This system works as proved last season with better/different players but its time to change now. Slightly narrowed 4-4-1-1 for me Juke up top with McSheffrey behind, Bell on the right, Baker left and Clingan and Gardener in central holding/playmaker roles. Hussey and Chrisite full backs and Keogh and Cranie centre backs - this is assuming everyone is fit of course.

stupot07

He clearly is a talented player and also clearly has attacking intent. I also couldn't care less where he came from if he adds value - which he would if we played him in a more attacking role.
I managed to hear a bit of the CWR summary on the way from the ground by Andy Blair who pretty much said that the formation we play is contributing to defeats. Everyone bemoans lack of quality but then whay try and play a passing game that we have not got players to suit the roles? We have lost so many games this season by the odd goal. Better tactical judgement would invetably have gained the team more points. If it was purely that we were out of our depth then we would be hammered every week but even top sides only win by the odd goal. The person most out of their depth is not the players but the manager who proves himself more inadequate as the weeks go on.

I wouldn't say we played a passing game yesterday, the majority of the second half was Cameron hoooooooof to Platt and Juke.

stupot07

The diamond formation is made more of a worse choice to use when you aren't even playing your 1st choice full backs because they provide the width - sorry but Wood is not a player who is going to provide this width and is not suited to bombing down the left side making crosses although I salute him for the effort he puts in anyway. It leaves us massively exposed and with zero effect going forward this way. Works better with Christie and Hussey and then you have to choose a midfield 4 that work on top of that which clearly didn't yesterday. Can't help feeling baffled by team selection, formations and subs. This system works as proved last season with better/different players but its time to change now. Slightly narrowed 4-4-1-1 for me Juke up top with McSheffrey behind, Bell on the right, Baker left and Clingan and Gardener in central holding/playmaker roles. Hussey and Chrisite full backs and Keogh and Cranie centre backs - this is assuming everyone is fit of course.

Mcsheffrey doesn't deserve to be anywhere near our first team apart from his 1 goal he was been shit all season - too many injuries have sapped his pace and now his second touch is always an attempted tackle.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Gardner is being misused and its no wonder he's not showing us his true potential! An attacking midfielder playing just in front of the back 4 is one of the most bizarre decisions AT has made during his tenure as manager! And lets face it, there has been a whole catalogue of errors this far!

Sheffers does not justify his place in the team! He's been so bad, I wouldnt complain if David Bell started in his place (now thats desperate!!!).

:blue:

MatthewWallis

Thorn already said he can't be re called but if he went we wouldn't miss him. It would of made no difference if he got sent off yesterday because he didn't do anything all game

SkyBlue_Bear83

Oh wow, love how our fans think we are too good for Gary Gardner now "He can go back" etc. maybe if we used him correctly he would have had a better impact. He is obviously talented but I said to people who were thinking he would come in and boss games/change our season were deluded. He is suffering from the same effect Cody did when he was bought in, new player in, heaps of pressure put on him by fans when he doesn't live up to stupid expectations people had, he gets criticism.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
........... because he didn't do anything all game

Because he was out of position! :mad:

We've seen it too many times over the years where players have been slated for their poor performances, when most of them are played out of position.

If he was playing in his best position (AM) and not performing then yes, we'd have reason to complain! But as he's yet to play here, I cant see how fans can criticise him!

The Reverend Skyblue

It clearly seems to me reading all your weekly posts,as i do not get many games, that good players come to this club and under Thorn and they fro some reason totally lose either there confidence, or have ability siezure's. Cody looked good on all the Videos i saw, Gardner looked good, i feel Murphy was a better keeper at Scunny, Clingan seems to have totally lost all his talent,(thats Limited some may say anyway).
There does'nt seem to be in any of your reports i read fully that we have'nt one consistant performer.
All this has been lost on the training pitch in my humble opinion, all attacking thoughts seem's to have been out coached by Harrison and Thorn.You would have thought yesterday was a big oppertunity to get 3 points and get us back in the dogfight, we should of had thrown men forward in search of goals and an important victory to raise spirits. On reading your after match analysis it looks like we had 4 shots on goal and gave nothing at all, and once again Hull fans like very team we have played call us the worst team they have played this season. How Thorn then comes out and says we're unlucky and should of got something, is very worrying almost delusional.
If Thorn,a big IF i know, but if he goes he must take Harrison with him, or we will not move forward under the any new manager

The Rev

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

Well if they play him out of position like that then Villa won't extend the loan that is for sure. Why didn't AT play Cranie in the holding role & put Christie in at RB?

The squad is too thin & as usuallly happens at this time of year a few injuries are being picked up, so without reinforcements it is only going to get worse.

Hell we needed a couple of midfield battlers like Doyle or Carsley in the squad from the start of the season, Clingan can't cover it the whole season, he isn't quite cut out for that job.

EDIT: Then of course there is the forgotten man Deegan, isn't he more suited than Gardner, even if he can't manage the whole game because he can't be match fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least Thorn got me passionate about something again yesterday by his team selection. Firstly the fact that Mcsheff started the game, but most of all by playing Gardner as a holding midfielder. If he insists on playing this god awful diamond formation then we need a player at the tip of the diamond who gets into the box, scores goals and creates things for others. McSheff fails to do any of these but Gardner appears to have them all in his locker. What a waste of a resource to play him so deep. Bet he can't wait for the month to be up so that he can escape back to Villa Park!!

wingy

firstly rev ,we do have two stand out players in Keogh and Juke,Jack ,The reason he did'nt play cyrus at RB ,we've all been posting on here how he's needed a physical/mental rest sincw the Cardiff game if memories correct ,hs been running out of legs on a regular basis inthe last 20mins,i was just going to bring up bigi but you've edited ,he's not ready for Clingans role yet IMO, Willie while the quality was lacking i thought we saw effort and fight from everyone yesterday which is what everyones been asking for.

stupot07

It clearly seems to me reading all your weekly posts,as i do not get many games, that good players come to this club and under Thorn and they fro some reason totally lose either there confidence, or have ability siezure's. Cody looked good on all the Videos i saw, Gardner looked good, i feel Murphy was a better keeper at Scunny, Clingan seems to have totally lost all his talent,(thats Limited some may say anyway).
There does'nt seem to be in any of your reports i read fully that we have'nt one consistant performer.
All this has been lost on the training pitch in my humble opinion, all attacking thoughts seem's to have been out coached by Harrison and Thorn.You would have thought yesterday was a big oppertunity to get 3 points and get us back in the dogfight, we should of had thrown men forward in search of goals and an important victory to raise spirits. On reading your after match analysis it looks like we had 4 shots on goal and gave nothing at all, and once again Hull fans like very team we have played call us the worst team they have played this season. How Thorn then comes out and says we're unlucky and should of got something, is very worrying almost delusional.
If Thorn,a big IF i know, but if he goes he must take Harrison with him, or we will not move forward under the any new manager

The Rev

The point about good players coming to the club and then not performing/losing confidence isn't a new thing that's just happened under thorn, it's been happening for years. He had only brought in 3 players.

You say that murphy seemed a better keeper at scunthorpe - how many scunny games have you seen? Have you seen him play a whole season for them?

Yep Cody looked great in the video scoring in league 2, but 1) that was in league 2, two leagues lower against worse defenders and keepers and 2) he was/is unfit because of not having a pre season.

Gardner is 19 and hadn't played a first team game until he came here. Thorn shouldn't have played him as the defensive midfield player, however are we expecting too much from him to be the catalyst that's going to change our fortunes. I remember another Gary who used to score for fun at youth and reserve team level.

And clingan has flattered to deceive for the majority of his sky blue career. Don't forget he's suffered 3 or 4 relegations.

That said the other points are pretty valid although I would consider Keogh and Juke to be consistent.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think Gardner is and will be a decent player but he still a youngster. To expect him to come in a drag a dire team poorly managed to success is unfair.

his selection at defensive mid was a mistake. The key position of the diamond is at its attacking tip not its defensive base. The base plays in front of the supposed strongest part of our team - we need goals not safety. There were options, Thomas or Bigirimana perhaps (might be young so is Gardner but they have played in the team more than twice) But why not Crainie surely he could have done Clingans job. Poor thinking AT imo.

How does McSheffery get into the car park let alone the team!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread