Garden Leave (1 Viewer)

no_loyalty

I will be telling my boss tomorrow that I’m leaving the company and working my months notice. I am going to tell him I’m joining a competitor (I’m not) so he puts me on garden leave, just wondering if I would get away with it?

fernandopartridge

I will be telling my boss tomorrow that I’m leaving the company and working my months notice. I am going to tell him I’m joining a competitor (I’m not) so he puts me on garden leave, just wondering if I would get away with it?
Are the new job going to request a reference?

A lad at my place left to join a so called competitor, he had a 3 month notice period. He had the whole summer off paid, the lucky lucky c**t.

Just realised actually, I'm sure you can withdraw your notice. On a 3 month notice you could get yourself a few weeks off only to withdraw.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

no_loyalty

Are the new job going to request a reference?

A lad at my place left to join a so called competitor, he had a 3 month notice period. He had the whole summer off paid, the lucky lucky c**t.

Just realised actually, I'm sure you can withdraw your notice. On a 3 month notice you could get yourself a few weeks off only to withdraw.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Looks like I’m not going to be able to, as in the contract for my new company it states:-

“It is company policy for us to approach 2 of your previous employers - please provide details of the referees who will be able to confirm your employment record for the last 12 - 18 months, or longer”

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Probably wise not to lie, I am just finishing something similar but my notice was 12 months and they chose to put me in the garden for the whole year, loved travelling and doing very little, looking for a job now and not looking forward to getting back into that if someone does make me an offer.

LastGarrison

Must be a theme as I’ve just done the best part of three months on gardening leave as well (employment officially ends this Friday) but as I timed it to be after the start of September they also owe me my bonus which is the equivalent to another 3 months pay so I might just sit it out until the new year! 😀

In all seriousness if you are going down that route just make sure your contact doesn’t have any clauses about joining competitors within a certain time period as that can cause numerous problems if they decide to pursue it.

However, you’re not obliged to tell them where you are going so you could insinuate that you are going to a competitor by saying that you’re ‘Staying in the sector’ etc. and put the ball in their court.

Flying Fokker

Life is not about screwing your old employer. They buy your Labour based on mutual trust. I’d be happy to put you on gardening leave. Straight out of the door.

ovduk78

Probably wise not to lie, I am just finishing something similar but my notice was 12 months and they chose to put me in the garden for the whole year, loved travelling and doing very little, looking for a job now and not looking forward to getting back into that if someone does make me an offer.
What kind of job requires 12 month notice?

Mild-Mannered Janitor

What kind of job requires 12 month notice?
A lot of real estate firms have long notices for fee earning partners to stop them taking their business to the competition, they believed it would freeze them from their contacts so you couldn't do valuation work, sales, lettings etc and that the firm would retain the work. They are old fashioned contracts and cannot buy out the people from them, I wasn't a fee earner but made the same grade as them running the ops teams of Finance, HR, IT, legals etc and then they wanted to take the role to the US, Happy days

ovduk78

A lot of real estate firms have long notices for fee earning partners to stop them taking their business to the competition, they believed it would freeze them from their contacts so you couldn't do valuation work, sales, lettings etc and that the firm would retain the work. They are old fashioned contracts and cannot buy out the people from them, I wasn't a fee earner but made the same grade as them running the ops teams of Finance, HR, IT, legals etc and then they wanted to take the role to the US, Happy days
Isn't it a pain if you want to move jobs? "So Mr MMJ, when can you join us?", "In 12 months!!"
How can they be legal when they stop you working for someone else for such a long time? Of course the good side is being paid 12 months to do nothing 🤣😉

shmmeee

Isn't it a pain if you want to move jobs? "So Mr MMJ, when can you join us?", "In 12 months!!"
How can they be legal when they stop you working for someone else for such a long time? Of course the good side is being paid 12 months to do nothing 🤣😉

Certain industries or certain levels it’s standard. So the people hiring also likely have someone giving a years notice.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

I always joked it would be a real pain if I wanted to leave but they probably would have only held me until they found a replacement, with fee earners, they often just negotiate a deal now on shared fees with newco etc but would still freeze out typically 3 months and no garden leave.

Anyway, if anyone is hiring, am available for work from 1st October, I have applied to be COO of the club but a lack of running a club before may hinder that, otherwise, if you can remove your COO's then I am happy to replace them, more likely, going to go back and work in Finance and be a business partner though as I enjoyed that for years before.

NorthernWisdom

Tbf if he's got a 12 months notice, he's probably earned enough to not care n if nobody hires him for a few months!

Terry_dactyl

I always joked it would be a real pain if I wanted to leave but they probably would have only held me until they found a replacement, with fee earners, they often just negotiate a deal now on shared fees with newco etc but would still freeze out typically 3 months and no garden leave.

Anyway, if anyone is hiring, am available for work from 1st October, I have applied to be COO of the club but a lack of running a club before may hinder that, otherwise, if you can remove your COO's then I am happy to replace them, more likely, going to go back and work in Finance and be a business partner though as I enjoyed that for years before.
I reckon it’s in the bag!
When you get the position at the club can you find a job for me too. I’d seen something advertised by the City a while back that I could actually have done. I didn’t apply as it would’ve meant relocating and therefore never seeing my family.
It was tempting.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Tbf if he's got a 12 months notice, he's probably earned enough to not care n if nobody hires him for a few months!
I am very lucky, having been there 25 years, redundancy this month and savings does give me time, still need to find something to pay the mortgage and something I enjoy doing but have I time on my side unlike many others who have far less notice periods and less service when firms make redundancies etc so no bleating from me.

Mcbean

Just be prepared to be walked out of the door within a short period - in our company you go that day - HR take you to your desk they allow you to take only personal items

duffer

I'd love a few months/years off, but I'm not keen on gardening. Would they let me do something else instead? 🙂

I worked, indirectly, for a boss who put anyone who handed their notice in out of the door on the same day. It was madness, and cost us a fortune because he churned staff like crazy, him being a complete micro-managing, nitpicking, arsehole. I don't think he liked me much either, in fairness!

I always thought most decent professionals will serve their notice and do their bit until they leave, and gardening leave was mostly a reward for someone who'd done a good job and was being put out to pasture, or paranoia on behalf of the employer, as in MMJ's case above. 😁

Sbarcher

An ex-colleague left for a competitor and my company tried to enforce a 12 month rule in joining a competitor. He was on gardening leave for 1 month then joined the other company straight away. He told the company he would take them to court claiming "restraint of trade". He got away with it.

Frostie

An ex-colleague left for a competitor and my company tried to enforce a 12 month rule in joining a competitor. He was on gardening leave for 1 month then joined the other company straight away. He told the company he would take them to court claiming "restraint of trade". He got away with it.
Have done the same. Those things are rarely enforced.

Users who are viewing this thread