Funny that...... (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Coventry City's average league gate fell by 27 per cent in their first season since their relegation from the Championship.

The Sky Blues averaged 10,973 in 2012/13 to make them the third most supported club in League One - down from 15,120 the previous campaign.

City are the 24th best supported club in the Football League.

But the Sky Blues travelling support rose by 21 per cent to an average of 1,115 - the second highest in the division.

The 4,009 City supporters who made the trip to the MK Dons was the tenth biggest away following for any game in the Football League, although on the the day the number was declared nearer to the 5,000 mark which would take City up to fourth.

The Ricoh Arena attracted on average the second highest number of away fans (812) in League One.

lordsummerisle

The 4,009 City supporters who made the trip to the MK Dons was the tenth biggest away following for any game in the Football League, although on the the day the number was declared nearer to the 5,000 mark which would take City up to fourth.

There's 4009 people who wouldn't mind us playing out of the City then at least.

WillieStanley

It makes sense to me... Lower league, lower home attendances. Grounds we've rarely, if ever had the chance to visit - higher away attendances.

Astute

Ground like a morgue at home. Good fun on away days. Terracing to stand on. And as said new grounds to go to.

If we end up moving away from the Ricoh I can see our away games being sellouts most of the time.

dongonzalos

Ground like a morgue at home. Good fun on away days. Terracing to stand on. And as said new grounds to go to.

If we end up moving away from the Ricoh I can see our away games being sellouts most of the time.

And not giving SISU money
It will grow.....

Grendel

I suppose what Don is trying to suggest (though of course I would never be so bold as to assume what don is thinking) is that the amount of away supporters versus home supporters is much higher as this proves some supporters refuse to attend home matches.

Now I am sure that our resident professors are far better than me at suggesting how one would prove or disprove this. I am now hesitant to suggest a way so I will leave it to the more educated amongst us to come up with the appropriate statistics.

pusbccfc

Hoping we manage a couple hundred extra joining us on the away travels next season.

letsallsingtogether

I'll be going to more if we are not at the Ricoh...:blue:

dongonzalos

I suppose what Don is trying to suggest (though of course I would never be so bold as to assume what don is thinking) is that the amount of away supporters versus home supporters is much higher as this proves some supporters refuse to attend home matches.

Now I am sure that our resident professors are far better than me at suggesting how one would prove or disprove this. I am now hesitant to suggest a way so I will leave it to the more educated amongst us to come up with the appropriate statistics.

This makes me feel uncomfortable :)

I am suggesting our away attendance went up due to the anger people feel towards SISU and our home attendances went down for the same reasons.

Other than a massive change in ticket prices between the two I can't see a rationale explanation for the anomaly

lordsummerisle

This makes me feel uncomfortable :)

I am suggesting our away attendance went up due to the anger people feel towards SISU and our home attendances went down for the same reasons.

Other than a massive change in ticket prices between the two I can't see a rationale explanation for the anomaly

Possibly though, as was mentioned earlier the atmosphere is so awful at The Ricoh and we generally don't do very well there.

skybluericoh

Possibly though, as was mentioned earlier the atmosphere is so awful at The Ricoh and we generally don't do very well there.

The problem at the ricoh is that the fans are too sparse now, The JPT with the one stand, helped to create an atmosphere, but then over the top stewarding has for along time been killing it, poor performances, fewer fans, silly rules like 'that banner doesn't have a fire certificate', more fans getting hacked off, the spiral continues downwards.

Away, tightly backed in, sing and shout pretty much what you like, no silly 'you can't say that about SISU' stewarding, much better experience. Away days for me over home days at the mo.

lordsummerisle

The problem at the ricoh is that the fans are too sparse now, The JPT with the one stand, helped to create an atmosphere, but then over the top stewarding has for along time been killing it, poor performances, fewer fans, silly rules like 'that banner doesn't have a fire certificate', more fans getting hacked off, the spiral continues downwards.

Away, tightly backed in, sing and shout pretty much what you like, no silly 'you can't say that about SISU' stewarding, much better experience. Away days for me over home days at the mo.

Last season there was of course a lot of "new ground" syndrome, people possibly not that excited this season about going to Brentford or whoever as they were last season.

Think pretty much the same happened on first relegated from the Premier League, large decline in home crowds(though some of this, even more so in League One due to smaller away followings), large rise in away support.

The smaller away support would have to be quite a large factor in home attendances I'd have thought.

Users who are viewing this thread