bringbackrattles

Aug 19, 2013
As I'm a window cleaner I get to know many of my customers well, and its not just at Christmas I get a tip/present for doing a job. This week a customer knowing I'm a football fan gave me a Barcelona top with Messi's name on the back, he got it he said from a stall in Benidorm. Obviously a replica and not his real shirt but its brand new and in great condition. I was well chuffed and it will go in my football collection. He was grateful that as he couldn't do his garden I tidied it up, his missus had stopped moaning ! Has anybody received a nice gift for doing a job for somebody ?

Last edited:

Gazolba

Jan 26, 2013
BBC says 'outside the UK'
I'm an IT worker and I used to browse the online help forums. When random people asked for help on something that was in my particular area of experitise, I would post messages helping them solve their problem. I did this for quite a few years and people would say "Thanks" and I never thought much about it since that's all I expected. One time, however, I helped this young lady more than usual. She actually emailed me her database and I worked on it for a few hours and emailed it back redesigned to work better than before. I gather she worked for a very small company of just a few people. After I had helped her, her company sent me a 75 dollar gift card for Starbucks. Later on, I helped her with the database again, and the company sent me another Starbucks gift card for 50 dollars.
Since I visit Starbucks very seldom, I enjoyed those gift cards for a couple of years, buying the occasional coffee, hot chocolate or piece of cake for myself and my kids.
That is the one and only time I ever received a gift for doing someone a favour, but it was much appreciated.

Otis

Mar 26, 2011
As I'm a window cleaner I get to know many of my customers well, and its not just at Christmas I get a tip/present for doing a job. This week a customer knowing I'm a football fan gave me a Barcelona top with Messi's name on the back, he got it he said from a stall in Benidorm. Obviously a replica and not his real shirt but its brand new and in great condition. I was well chuffed and it will go in my football collection. He was grateful that as he couldn't do his garden I tidied it up, his missus had stopped moaning ! Has anybody received a nice gift for doing a job for somebody ?
Someone once gave me £100 of theatre vouchers for helping them out. That was pretty cool.

People offer me money, but I usually turn it down.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Mar 20, 2011
When I worked at hereward I was key worker for about 15-20 students
At Christmas I used to get gifts of all the families one year I got boxes of biscuits, tins of chocolates a few bottles of wine and a 2 cases of beer
To be honest I kept the beer, wine and a tin of chocolates and gave the rest to my parents and the wife’s mum and dad

LastGarrison

Mar 25, 2011
Earlier this year I got given a hand made statue of the Greek God Hermes.

It’s pretty cool actually but reminds a bit of Billy Bowden because of the bent finger.

Reactions: clint van damme

Terry Gibson's perm

Mar 17, 2014
Nuneaton
In my first job one of the directors retired and I had to carry his stuff to his car when I was doing it he said do you want a tip so I said yes he said here you go never work on weekends, I chucked the stuff into his car

Terry Gibson's perm

Mar 17, 2014
Nuneaton
I wonder how many people fell for the people offering to send cash scam.

My neighbor let someone from Microsoft log into his computer that didn’t go well.

Nick

Administrator
Feb 25, 2008
Coventry
I had the Microsoft bloke on the phone for 40 minutes. Trying to make him explain to me what he meant by playing dumb.

"Oh you mean the computer?"
"yes, yes I need to fix this for you"
"You have seen the virus on windows?"
"yes I can see you have a virus"
"but I am using a Mac?"

He swore and hung up.

Reactions: Terry Gibson's perm

eastwoodsdustman

Sep 11, 2011
I had the windows call last week too. Bloke told me his office was under Victoria station in London. Kept him going for a while before telling him that my daughters had taken the laptop to school for the day.
The time before I played along for 5 minutes and then said that we had a Mac and I thought he meant the actual windows in the house had a virus. He also swore and hung up.

Back to topic, I get the odd crate of beer or bottle of booze, a polish vodka with an oak twig being a highlight, but last week some one gave me 30 euros for helping him.

Reactions: kdrinkell

Users who are viewing this thread