Football related... (1 Viewer)

singers_pore

In Iran women are not allowed to attend football matches for religious reasons. So in the recent game against Syria, some women were forced to pretend to be Syrian supporters in order to circumvent the ban.

World Cup: Iranian women refused entry to match despite holding tickets - BBC News

I am now waiting for the usual apologists to excuse this religiously-motivated discrimination against women. Shmeee, Mark82, where are you?

skybluetony176

In Iran women are not allowed to attend football matches for religious reasons. So in the recent game against Syria, some women were forced to pretend to be Syrian supporters in order to circumvent the ban.

World Cup: Iranian women refused entry to match despite holding tickets - BBC News

I am now waiting for the usual apologists to excuse this religiously-motivated discrimination against women. Shmeee, Mark82, where are you?

You hate muslims. We get it.

singers_pore

You hate muslims. We get it.

Not all all. I hate radical Islam but I have many Muslim friends. Most of them hate radical Islam as well, especially the ones who have received death threats from Muslim extremists for not being a "proper" Muslim.

The Ahmadiyya and Sufi Muslims are especially targeted by Islamist extremists and they have my full sympathy. Many of them cannot understand the attitudes of white people who make excuses for the extremists.

Many migrants come to Europe to escape the religious persecution but they then discover that the extremists have support from many white apologists. People like you in fact.

martcov

Not all all. I hate radical Islam but I have many Muslim friends. Most of them hate radical Islam as well, especially the ones who have received death threats from Muslim extremists for not being a "proper" Muslim.

The Ahmadiyya and Sufi Muslims are especially targeted by Islamist extremists and they have my full sympathy. Many of them cannot understand the attitudes of white people who make excuses for the extremists.

Many migrants come to Europe to escape the religious persecution but they then discover that the extremists have support from many white apologists. People like you in fact.

What constitutes support of extremists? How do you define it?

Gazolba

We may not like it but they are a sovereign nation, and have their own laws and customs, which we should respect. We shouldn't expect everyone else to be like us.

chiefdave

As a general rule yes you do have to regocnise another countries rules and customs but theres a point where you have to draw a line.

Should we have ignored apartheid in South Africa, how about gay men in Chechnya being rounded up tortured and, some reports say, killed.

singers_pore

What constitutes support of extremists? How do you define it?

People who make excuses for extremism or who try to deflect criticism of extremism by saying "what about..." or who say we have to accept it because it is cultural, e.g., Gazolba's post above.

singers_pore

We may not like it but they are a sovereign nation, and have their own laws and customs, which we should respect. We shouldn't expect everyone else to be like us.

Prior to 1979 women in Iran had the same basic rights as women in the UK, Europe, US and other developed countries. It was only after 1979 that women were forced to cover up and denied other basic rights and freedoms. So the denial of women to soccer matches has nothing at all to do with Iranian customs. In fact I know a couple of Iranians who would be outraged by such a suggestion.

What happened in 1979 to radically diminish the status of women in Iran? Answer = The Islamic Revolution.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread