Flower/Hohaia Super League Incident (1 Viewer)

Im sure everyone has seen the horrific actions of Wigan Warriors player Ben Flower in the Super League Grand Final the other night. Just wondered what everyone's views on this matter and what should Flower's punishment be? Should he be allowed to return to the game? He's already been charged with a Grade F offence, which carries a minimum 8 match ban. Greater Manchester Police are also contemplating action against the player for assaulting St Helens' Lance Hohaia. So what does everyone think about his actions and possible punishment?

Otis

Didn't see it, but didn't he punch him a second time while he was already down from the first punch?

Otis

Just watched it now.

That was shocking. And cowardly too.

Certainly should recieve a big fine and long ban.

Had a reply from a former professional Rugby Union player on Twitter, who says it should be an 8 game ban and a fine. I think that's a little lenient

duffer

It's a hideous assault that - it's the second punch, when the bloke is already laid out on the ground and clearly unable to defend himself that bothers me most. What kind of animal do you have to be to do that?

One-year ban and up before the beak for assault at the very minimum, I'd say. He couldn't complain if he got more.

The player he punched put his forearm in Flower's face. The assaulted player has been charged with a Grade B offence which carries a 1-2 match ban. And Flower is being investigated by Greater Manchester Police

olderskyblue

The player he punched put his forearm in Flower's face. The assaulted player has been charged with a Grade B offence which carries a 1-2 match ban. And Flower is being investigated by Greater Manchester Police

It was a bit more than "put his forearm in his face". He ran full out at him and smashed his forearm into his face. I would have reacted to that too. (if i'd not been out for the count)

bringbackrattles

There's always been punch ups in Rugby but it was only two minutes in to the match which shocked everybody including the player who was on the end of it. Talking of punch ups a load of travellers were in the Wheatsheaf on Saturday night and they started throwing punches at each other,with one lad taking his shirt off but while doing so he got caught with a right hander.
Then it stopped and they carried on drinking as if nothing happened !

There was something from both sides but no-one can condone the actions of Flower. You see forearms being used in Rugby Union all the time and it leads to Handbags at Dawn, but I've never seen it result in an attack like this

bringbackrattles

I used to play for Pinley and the Standard in the eighties and punch ups were the norm,but any sly off the ball stuff or just plain thuggery was quickly punished,if you know what I mean ? In other words the thug was targeted and the ref would often turn a blind eye ! but in professional rugby it shouldn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread