First city game (1 Viewer)

ProfessorbyGrace

21st February 1998

1 nil win v Barnsley

Dublin penalty
We had a decent team in 97/98. 😎 That was a horrendous game to watch though, as Barnsley parked the bus and the luggage, well and truly.

City 5 Liverpool 1 in 92/93 was my first. I was then expecting this kind of result every week, haha.

We had a decent team in 97/98. 😎 That was a horrendous game to watch though, as Barnsley parked the bus and the luggage, well and truly.

City 5 Liverpool 1 in 92/93 was my first. I was then expecting this kind of result every week, haha.
I can remember a few Liverpool games in december that had a number of goals. Terry gibsons hatrick in 83. The one that you refer to & I recall a 6-1 to them & possibly another where we scored 5

tigersb

Cov 1 Liverpool 0 Jan 1980

capel & collindridge

Until a week or two ago, I thought my first game was 1952/3 or 1953/4 when I was six or seven years old. But there was a gallery of city shirts over the years in recent thread that said we stopped wearing blue and white stripes in 1953/4 and went over to white with a single wide blue stripe instead. I remember that change of strip as being around 1955 and found it very odd. So perhaps I had seen many more early games than I realised. These must have been when we were back in the second tier in very early 1950s. I don't expect I would have had much understanding of promotion and relegation in those days - we never got near promotion throughout the fifties and the significance of a relegation in 1951/2 or 1952/3 would have gone unnoticed. But the blue and white striped shirts WERE worn by the Bantams of my childhood. I remember these very clearly from the early fifties. I think by the time I got really excited by the arrival of Tommy Capel and Colin Collindridge and had my first awareness of transfers (that didn't slide off a sheet onto a piece of paper!) the stripes had got much wider and the shouts of "Come on the Old Five!" grown less frequent .... until the first Sky Blue revolution! And now we may be on the verge of the second Sky Blue Revolution! After after almost three hours of waiting this morning to get into the queue, and then with 4,780 others in front of me, I have a profound sense of disappointment not to be getting a ticket for the Play-off Final. What changes there have been for Coventry City during my life time. But the excitement never changes!

nicksar

My first game was City v Sunderland in the FA cup in 1963 aged 9....I grew up in Hillfiields just a stone's throw from the ground.
Been a fan for 60 years .

Johhny Blue

I always consider my first proper game being at HR in 1977 - Coventry City 2 -2 Bristol City.

There were a couple of rows of seats right at the front of the Main Stand, at pitch level. You sat behind a little white wall. Remember being so close you could smell the turf and looking up in awe at players like Hutchison, Powell, Yorath, Ferguson and Wallace.

Fucking hooked from that moment on.. and will be until it’s my time to say goodbye.
You were hooked even though you sat through half a game of boring passing?

BackRoomRummermill

It was only the last 10 to 15 minutes, and I am not sure it was quite as blatant as reported. I was quite young but remember the match being really tense and exciting.
I was sat in the top tier of west end when the Sunderland score came up on the board above the spoon Kop - my dad said they should go for a draw - Bristol had come back from 2 down so they had momentum - but it was not obvious cheating it looked like 2 teams who were very tired at the end of the season - we were 15 mins late kick off - all the Sunderland thing is rubbish

Otis

1978 Cov 1-0 Leicester (Don Nardiello scored). Attendance 24,000. I was 10 years old and I can remember it like it was yesterday.
Did you see me there?

I was best man at my brother's wedding and I was under strict instructions from my brother and parents, not to go to the match, but I sneaked out and made it for the game just in time.

I was the one wearing a three piece suit and white rose in my buttonhole, standing right behind the goal in the middle of the West End. 👍

bawtryneal

Honestly don't know but would have been around 1959/60. Lived in a village near Rugby, no transport of my own, so had to go when and where anyone offered to take me. Had no link to Coventry so we went to the odd game at Leicester, not to support them but because they were First Division
Which village near Rugby Ceetee. I lived in Dunchurch as a kid. First game at highfield road was in 1966 aged 5. Think it was a birthday treat so Feb 1966.

sylus

my first game, April 1973 lost 2-0 Derby at highfield rd, i was 6. this year is my 50th year since that game.

would be lovely to mark 50 years with promotion,

Offhegoes

City v Oxford Utd - April 1988. Mark Lawrenson had recently become the Oxford manager (his first job) to try and save them from relegation. Bit of a dour game, but Big Cyrille rose highest from a late free kick to power home a header. 1-0 City. Always remember my Dad's disappointment about not being able to get a beer inside the ground and being told by the Tea Lady, "It's for the best isn't it"
I was a little disappointed not to see Lloyd McGrath or Dave Bennett playing that day.

JulianDarbyFTW

First one I can remember was the 3-4 Middlesboro game with Speedie and Slaven both getting hat-tricks, but I think my first City game was against Charlton a couple of years earlier. I was a footballing nomad in my early years, and my first ever game was actually watching the Bluenoses play someone. I was just a young kid who loved the game, but thankfully I ended up falling in love with the Sky Blues.

torchomatic

I can remember a few Liverpool games in december that had a number of goals. Terry gibsons hatrick in 83. The one that you refer to & I recall a 6-1 to them & possibly another where we scored 5

Although I had been going for over four years this was the first game I actually remember, I was 11.

Remember fans seemed to be mixed in from both sides. What really sticks in my mind is the players casually passing the ball around and that did strike me as really odd.

Last edited:

BackRoomRummermill

Although I had been going for over four years this was the first game I actually remember, I was 11.

Remember fans seemed to be mixed in from both sides. What really sticks in my mind is the players casually passing the ball around and that did strike me as really odd.
Was always the case with Liverpool and Man U I sat next to Liverpool support family in the west end a few times but no one got silly -

Jarvo87

1-1 v Ipswich, 27th Dec 1976
8 years old, with my Dad, on the Kop (recall us moving right to the very top for some reason)
Being December, remember it was bitterly cold, wet, and decidedly dank, no surprise..

BackRoomRummermill

1-1 v Ipswich, 27th Dec 1976
8 years old, with my Dad, on the Kop (recall us moving right to the very top for some reason)
Being December, remember it was bitterly cold, wet, and decidedly dank, no surprise..
Of course they had that terrace for us amongst on the left - now that place was cold !

singers_pore

Did you see me there?

I was best man at my brother's wedding and I was under strict instructions from my brother and parents, not to go to the match, but I sneaked out and made it for the game just in time.

I was the one wearing a three piece suit and white rose in my buttonhole, standing right behind the goal in the middle of the West End. 👍
No mate, I was on the old Spion Kop (crow's nest)

Milne Out

1972 Man City at Home
I was probably still a bit aggrieved at my brother going to the United game at home a few weeks earlier when Best and Charlton scored for United

Don’t really remember the game much
Seem to remember a woman ringing a bell sitting in the Main Stand. Think she was a Man City fan.

Just remember that almost everyone apart from my old man, was swearing , smoking , moaning and wearing a donkey jacket

for me it was more about the wine gums and being at a game with my Dad

Great days the 70s

Skyblueweeman

First I can remember was aged 7 in 1956 but sure I saw some before that it was V Southend Won 2-0

Now 75 and annoyed too handicapped now by Parkinson's to get down but will be with you all in spirit watching in a Pub up here now in Ripon

Over 25 of family still in Cov are going

Will miss you all

I lived in Ripon for a couple of years as a kid. Lovely part of the world. Enjoy the game at the pub...hope you enjoy the day!

Users who are viewing this thread