False league position? (1 Viewer)

Greggs

Hear me out. I think we can now safely say those first 8 games we're a fluke, if we replace those games with an average points total of roughly 12points then we'd be sitting comfortably in the playoffs, perhaps more of a real showing of our actual ranking in this league. I'll be honest, I've never once thought of the playoffs as achievable, and I thought we'd be out of our depth if we did squeeze in. But, if we manage to continue or form, it's a real possibility. Making the playoffs leaves us being 3 solid performances away from the big time! I'm actually starting to believe and dream! Exciting times being a Sky Blue again.

procdoc

Hear me out. I think we can now safely say those first 8 games we're a fluke, if we replace those games with an average points total of roughly 12points then we'd be sitting comfortably in the playoffs, perhaps more of a real showing of our actual ranking in this league. I'll be honest, I've never once thought of the playoffs as achievable, and I thought we'd be out of our depth if we did squeeze in. But, if we manage to continue or form, it's a real possibility. Making the playoffs leaves us being 3 solid performances away from the big time! I'm actually starting to believe and dream! Exciting times being a Sky Blue again.
Completely agree. The pitch fiasco at the start of the season could very well cost us.

skybluelee

Evidenced here, mate, which I posted on the match thread. We’re 4th based on results since the rocky start.

Attachments

• 2C0E9176-48B4-4F28-B2E6-0C27947F353E.png
    2C0E9176-48B4-4F28-B2E6-0C27947F353E.png
    565.5 KB · Views: 81

Alkhen

We have done so well given the circumstances but I dunno if I can allow myself too get carried away.

It's the same every year. People piss the bed when we have a bad run of results and get carried away when we go on an unbeaten run. Thing is when you look at the fixtures in the good/bad runs they look about par from where we are squad-wise.

We lost a couple on the bounce against Burnley and Norwich then mess up the Wrexham fa cup tie and this place is toxic. Go unbeaten against teams below or around us and the dream is on.

Not saying we can't but April looks pretty brutal especially with our small squad. 7 games including Blackburn and Watford who are challenging.

Would be amazing if we can sneak into the mix but I won't be shocked if we fall short

Evo1883

Posted elsewhere but since the catastrophic start on amd off the field and losing 3-0 at Norwich Screenshot_20230318_232112_Chrome.jpg

slowpoke

We have done so well given the circumstances but I dunno if I can allow myself too get carried away.

It's the same every year. People piss the bed when we have a bad run of results and get carried away when we go on an unbeaten run. Thing is when you look at the fixtures in the good/bad runs they look about par from where we are squad-wise.

We lost a couple on the bounce against Burnley and Norwich then mess up the Wrexham fa cup tie and this place is toxic. Go unbeaten against teams below or around us and the dream is on.

Not saying we can't but April looks pretty brutal especially with our small squad. 7 games including Blackburn and Watford who are challenging.

Would be amazing if we can sneak into the mix but I won't be shocked if we fall short
Personally I think we are the team those above are looking over their shoulders at and none will fancy playing us over two legs, let’s keep the faith.

Greggs

That's why I'm using the whole term as an example, rather than just getting excited due to a short term good run of form. Replace those first 'flukey 8 games' with even a low a average points total, then over the whole season we are a play off team.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

kenny jackett pompey GIF by Portsmouth Football Club

Grendel

I'm proud that we've found a way to be successful without him, if we'd sold him for 5 million last summer we'd be pissing it.

When he returned to the team he had a big impact

The Hyam sale in tbe end was a positive

Alkhen

Personally I think we are the team those above are looking over their shoulders at and none will fancy playing us over two legs, let’s keep the faith.
If we sneak in then we have a great chance. It's just the gaps left by injuries and lack of backup in the squad that concerns me. But results grow confidence.

There is a good chance we will be in that 6th place if we beat Stoke in the next round of fixtures. Norwich have Sheff U and Millwall play West Brom. Imagine the boost of confidence the squad would get from that.. ok maybe I'll dream a bit

Would need West Brom to lose/draw today though.

That's why I'm using the whole term as an example, rather than just getting excited due to a short term good run of form. Replace those first 'flukey 8 games' with even a low a average points total, then over the whole season we are a play off team.
Yeah probably accurate, that start really hampered us such a shame. More annoying as I can't see a way we can keep the squad together in the summer. If by any miracle we can then we would be a real force.

robbiethemole

Bloody hell Greggs! you’re slipping, a good sensible post instead of a wind-up. Totally agree, we are a good bet to sneak in at the last.

Last edited:

shmmeee

If we sneak in then we have a great chance. It's just the gaps left by injuries and lack of backup in the squad that concerns me. But results grow confidence.

There is a good chance we will be in that 6th place if we beat Stoke in the next round of fixtures. Norwich have Sheff U and Millwall play West Brom. Imagine the boost of confidence the squad would get from that.. ok maybe I'll dream a bit

Would need West Brom to lose/draw today though.

Yeah probably accurate, that start really hampered us such a shame. More annoying as I can't see a way we can keep the squad together in the summer. If by any miracle we can then we would be a real force.

Swansea Bristol is the only game today isn’t it?

Evo1883

You could also argue Simon Moore cost us 7 points in those first 4 games

In an alternate reality we'd be on 64 points now

Tommo1993

Vowed to never go to Middlesbrough again after freezing my nads off there in the 10/11 season, but it could be a massive game this time and I’ll have to miss it because I go on holiday the day before.

How long after the last game is the P/O first leg?

Evo1883

Vowed to never go to Middlesbrough again after freezing my nads off there in the 10/11 season, but it could be a massive game this time and I’ll have to miss it because I go on holiday the day before.

How long after the last game is the P/O first leg?
I imagine blackburn away midweek 4 games to ho has the potential to be huge and a massive midweek following

bawtryneal

The table never lies.

If there was a table for just the last round of matches ( ie yesterday) we would be top. 😉

PVA

It's pretty much what a lot of people were saying at the start of the season.

It was very obvious that we weren't, long term, a bottom 3 side and I never thought we would get relegated.

Alkhen

Oop just clocked we are due to play Blackburn on the 19th April, if they win today they will have an FA Cup Semi Final on the 22nd or 23rd. Reckon that is really good news for us. Surely they will be worried about going full beans and getting injured before potentially the biggest game of their career?!

Come on Blackburn

SheafIsGod

Plus the O'Hare injury has cost us a few points. Took us a while to adapt to play without him
Nothing to do with losing O’Hare and everything to do with losing McFadzean. We’re playing much better now with an we ever did with O’Hare.

Alkhen

Oop just clocked we are due to play Blackburn on the 19th April, if they win today they will have an FA Cup Semi Final on the 22nd or 23rd. Reckon that is really good news for us. Surely they will be worried about going full beans and getting injured before potentially the biggest game of their career?!

Come on Blackburn

backing up homer simpson GIF

CDK

Supporting city since the late 60s have seen it all from the JH and the snoz and the golden Milne era topped off by by our demise under handbags joys Sisu and we always rise like a phoenix from the ashes so don't get carried away or down about the city .
Also know that robins is our king and he will get us back to the premier League don't think it's this season but next season with a long-term CBS deal in Doug kings back pocket.

Happy_Martian

Think we also need to address the elephant in the room. Two of our now-regular first team midfielders are homegrown talent. And that they are performing to Championship standard is as worthy of praise as our team performances.

The Hyam sale in tbe end was a positive

At the time I would have said that it was a terrible decision. But I honestly can't disagree with hindsight. Watching the Blades - Blackburn game earlier, Hyam was culpable for two of Sheffield Uniteds goals, first was a shot through Dom's legs and the winner passed over a stooping Hyam into the top corner. Any touch with his head would have deflected it over. Now we've got 3 lads who will put their bodies on the line (or anywhere in the goalmouth ;) ) while they're wearing the Sky Blues.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Come on Blackburn

Now that Blackburn are out of the FA cup, they will be more determined to make the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread