Falcon Heavy Launch (1 Viewer)

dancers lance

Brilliant, the Tesla being launched into space towards Mars orbit with the spaceman chilling at the wheel and the car radio playing Bowie, just amazing.

wingy

While I get that It may be Impressive I don't see the point of the car stunt .
I know It won't really have any Impact as a piece of space junk It just typifies mans ability to waste resources and sod any consequence .

Marty

Space X have made incredible leaps in space technology. Isn't it more powerful then the Saturn 5 rockets from the moon landings?

dancers lance

I know It won't really have any Impact as a piece of space junk It just typifies mans ability to waste resources and sod any consequence .
I understand your perspective, but I just think It's amazing that a business man has just launched the largest rocket ever, at great expense, and chose to send his old car up, playing Bowie with a dummy spaceman driving it. I think I like it because it is so far removed from the destructive nature of most things that governments use the same for, It's a bit of a slap in the face in my opinion.

Covstu

I think it’s also to try and get more excitement in space launches again and try and make it cool. NASA launches are basically going unnoticed where as there is a lot more hype around the spacex launches

Marty

I think it’s also to try and get more excitement in space launches again and try and make it cool. NASA launches are basically going unnoticed where as there is a lot more hype around the spacex launches

Half the excitement is waiting for the launch to go wrong. They've had some spectacular fails, all worth it for the advancement of the human race.

dancers lance

Or.......Elon Musk is a real life Bond villain and is planning to put a huge laser on the moon that controls the weather and take over the world.....just saying!

dancers lance

Half the excitement is waiting for the launch to go wrong. They've had some spectacular fails, all worth it for the advancement of the human race.
It's the same reason people watch motor sport, yeah the racing can be exciting, but you can't beat a good crash.

dancers lance

Elon Musk himself said "it's either going to be a great rocket launch or the best firework display of all time" got to admire the man.

Covstu

Or.......Elon Musk is a real life Bond villain and is planning to put a huge laser on the moon that controls the weather and take over the world.....just saying!
About right, the man has style. I think it’s the same as amazon who will turn into umbrella Corp and make zombies

Captain Dart

Brilliant, the Tesla being launched into space towards Mars orbit with the spaceman chilling at the wheel and the car radio playing Bowie, just amazing.

This will inspire a lot of youngsters.

Bumberclart

Without the gimmicks, would he have had such a big audience? Everyone in the office has been talking about this today.
It felt like watching the first shuttle take off as a kid. Make no mistake, this is a massive game changer.

BackRoomRummermill

The car live feed is amazing on you tube , sensational and brilliant in HD never seen the earth so clear from the car

This guy has achieved what NASA we’re trying to do at a fraction of the cost, each Apollo mission launch a Billion dollars.....

This is what private enterprise vs public can achieve , if Red Jeremy Corbyn wan involved he would Nationalise SpaceX

Next Cov manager erm yes please !

Captain Dart

dancers lance

This will inspire a lot of youngsters.
It will, I watched it with my 9yr old Son and he was blown away (he thought it was CGI) when he realised that it was really happening, I could see his brain go into overdrive, he hasn't stopped watching Youtube videos on anything related since, he's even watched all of the Apollo footage he can find, It's amazing when something just clicks in a young mind.

Johnnythespider

It will, I watched it with my 9yr old Son and he was blown away (he thought it was CGI) when he realised that it was really happening, I could see his brain go into overdrive, he hasn't stopped watching Youtube videos on anything related since, he's even watched all of the Apollo footage he can find, It's amazing when something just clicks in a young mind.
I'm convinced the footage of the booster rocket landing back on the ship was CGI

Nick

Administrator

Surely this disproves the earth is flat when it shows it being Live Streamed going round and it clearly being round?

Captain Dart

Paul Anthony

Surely this disproves the earth is flat when it shows it being Live Streamed going round and it clearly being round?

Have you read the live chat on the stream? So many people are convinced It's all fakery. Some even still using it to believe the earth is flat cos, y'know. A frisbee is both flat and round.....

theferret

Have you read the live chat on the stream? So many people are convinced It's all fakery. Some even still using it to believe the earth is flat cos, y'know. A frisbee is both flat and round.....

There really are some morons out there. Not worth bothering with.

Musk is a visionary. I'm convinced he will put men on Mars, using private money and costing less than HS2. Remarkable. So refreshing to see such ambition and vision working towards something that will unify and inspire humanity.

As for the car, it was a lovely touch. So much could have gone wrong on this first test launch, and they often use blocks of concrete as dummy payloads. They were never going to fill it with expensive equipment when so much could have gone wrong.

Grendel

When I first read this I thought someone had started a thread on a big blowout meal at the pub near Hatton.

SkyblueBazza

I understand your perspective, but I just think It's amazing that a business man has just launched the largest rocket ever, at great expense, and chose to send his old car up, playing Bowie with a dummy spaceman driving it. I think I like it because it is so far removed from the destructive nature of most things that governments use the same for, It's a bit of a slap in the face in my opinion.
On the one hand it is a fantastic achievement with great potential to advance (?) mankind. On the other it has the potential to put more stuff including junk in space...it is only a matter of time before a rocket (manned or otherwise) hits a stray piece of junk!
Also it is a triumph for private enterprise...they will be looking to throw shed loads more satellites up for whatever purpose.

It is also massive self-indulgence in what the guy is so clearly obsessively passionate about. Good luck to him

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

speedie87

Can’t get too excited by this new rocket, when you compare it to the Saturn 5 rocket about the only thing that’s better is it’s cheaper. Considering Saturn 5 was designed built in the 60,s this falcon rocket just makes the Saturn 5 seem even more impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread