FA Cup Thread: Examples Of Media Writing Us Off (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

Snap my grandson and another in the in law family also predicted this, don't know if anyone backed it!!!!
I'm gutted I didn't! But as I said, I guess I've not won much on exact score predictions before so that's probably why I don't bother now.

Just had a look and we're 66/1 for 3-1. Now I'm a little tempted on that!

Otis

The media are touting Southgate to Man U now. Maybe they they think we will get Ten hag ‘sacked in the morning’ of the 22 April 😜
What an awful move and his previous reigns as a club manager were not at all fruitful.

Can't see Man U being a good fit for him at all.

Sky Blue Pete

The thing is we didn’t just win at wolves we were by far the better side and should have won comfortably
Wah wah wah but we only had 8 internationals playing cos we’ve got injuries
We were missing Craig Dawson at the back and he’s really tall
Wah Wah Wah

We handed them a lesson

Now we just need that bit of luck cause we certainly didn’t use any in the last game

San Francisco

The thing is we didn’t just win at wolves we were by far the better side and should have won comfortably
Wah wah wah but we only had 8 internationals playing cos we’ve got injuries
We were missing Craig Dawson at the back and he’s really tall
Wah Wah Wah

We handed them a lesson

Now we just need that bit of luck cause we certainly didn’t use any in the last game

They pretty much had their first choice defenders all playing and we had our first choice winger out injured. We should've been 4/5 up by the time they scored.

Senior Vick from Alicante

Just a thought on Southgate, he would be mad to go to United with the squad they have. It still needs a massive rebuild and would end up going the same way as Moyes but the money he will be offered may be worth the grief. I don't think he's been that good a manager either with the talent he has at his disposal.

JulianDarbyFTW

Just a thought on Southgate, he would be mad to go to United with the squad they have. It still needs a massive rebuild and would end up going the same way as Moyes but the money he will be offered may be worth the grief. I don't think he's been that good a manager either with the talent he has at his disposal.
Agree with the Moyes comment. He's on a hiding to nothing if he goes there, but he's also a very ordinary manager being pulled along by a few good international players. I think we do well as a country despite him, not because of him.

Mucca Mad Boys

Agree with the Moyes comment. He's on a hiding to nothing if he goes there, but he's also a very ordinary manager being pulled along by a few good international players. I think we do well as a country despite him, not because of him.
Just as our success was down to our players previously…

Southgate’s critics can’t even praise him for the environment he’s fostered in the England camp. Players are unified and actually enjoy playing for England unlike previous ‘golden generations’.

Italy and France were favourites in the games we lost. As for Croatia, we were slight favourites.

Last edited:

skybluericoh

Slightly off topic, but sir Alex knew when he quit that the pipeline was empty. I think the same will happen to Liverpool, when they were at the top of their game they had a conveyor belt of talent coming through. The ‘boot room’. Shankley to paisley to fagan Dalglish souness, the list went on for years.

mmttww

Just as our success down to our players previously…

Glad someone else pointed this out. Criticism of Southgate is so damn fucken lazy!

Bellingham has been available for one tournament. Before that, CM was bang average.

He got a team with Maguire as a first choice CB to be competitive at tournaments, ffs!

Frostie

I still choose to believe this Goldbridge chap is just a character created by an actor to go viral for weekly doses of stupidity, but then that would mean most 'influencers' are also in on the joke which seems unlikely. The world's just full of idiots isn't it
He is.
He was a Forest fan who saw an opportunity to go viral by critiquing the biggest club in the world & their fervent, global fanbase.

He doesn't go to their games & Mark Goldbridge isn't even his real name.

Mr Panda

He is.
He was a Forest fan who saw an opportunity to go viral by critiquing the biggest club in the world & their fervent, global fanbase.

He doesn't go to their games & Mark Goldbridge isn't even his real name.

Didn't know this! I think he's pretty entrepreneurial if that's the case - he'll be doing well financially I expect

torchomatic

Sadly, I spent last night looking at Wolves video blogs on YouTube. All the ones I saw quite rightly stated we were the much better team and despite Wolves being injury hit, they still had a first choice defence. In fact, in the 97th minute when they were still leading 2-1 they had seven defenders on the pitch! Just shows how well we did. Saturday wasn't a smash and grab, it was Coventry playing to their strengths and a tactical masterclass from MR. He totally threw GON with the way we set up. Definitely worth looking at a few of them if you have nothing better to do.

I only saw one talking heads thing outside the ground afterwards where one guy said they were the better team and we were a "bang average championship side". The only negative out of all the stuff I watched. Fascinating stuff.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sadly, I spent last night looking at Wolves video blogs on YouTube. All the ones I saw quite rightly stated we were the much better team and despite Wolves being injury hit, they still had a first choice defence. In fact, in the 97th minute when they were still leading 2-1 they had seven defenders on the pitch! Just shows how well we did. Saturday wasn't a smash and grab, it was Coventry playing to their strengths and a tactical masterclass from MR. He totally threw GON with the way we set up. Definitely worth looking at a few of them if you have nothing better to do.

I only saw one talking heads thing outside the ground afterwards where one guy said they were the better team and we were a "bang average championship side". The only negative out of all the stuff I watched. Fascinating stuff.
Serves O’Neil right for doing his scouting on this forum

Mucca Mad Boys

Glad someone else pointed this out. Criticism of Southgate is so damn fucken lazy!

Bellingham has been available for one tournament. Before that, CM was bang average.

He got a team with Maguire as a first choice CB to be competitive at tournaments, ffs!

England have been chronic underachievers - how we didn’t make at least one semi-final between 1998 and 2010 is genuinely beyond me.

Yet, Southgate does it back-to-back and we miss out against eventual finalists v France and he’s a shit manager? Make it make sense!

Southgate’s legacy that needs to be continued is the positive culture around playing for England which is no small thing. There’s a similar culture at Man U that needs to be turned around and perhaps Southgate could actually do a decent job there.

Hertsccfc

England have been chronic underachievers - how we didn’t make at least one semi-final between 1998 and 2010 is genuinely beyond me.

Yet, Southgate does it back-to-back and we miss out against eventual finalists v France and he’s a shit manager? Make it make sense!

Southgate’s legacy that needs to be continued is the positive culture around playing for England which is no small thing. There’s a similar culture at Man U that needs to be turned around and perhaps Southgate could actually do a decent job there.
Yes Southgate is by far the most successful England manager in my living memory. We have had some truly horrendous ones. During my childhood we rarely qualified for major tournaments and since then we've usually under achieved until Southgate arrived. I agree a lot of that has been the result of the positive culture he has brought to the team.

Last edited:

shmmeee

He’s not done it in a big game. And like Simms people will have doubts until you do. Beating Iran and the like doesn’t inspire confidence the same as putting a hattrick past Maidstone doesn’t. Needs the stoppage time equaliser in the big cup tie.

Hertsccfc

He’s not done it in a big game. And like Simms people will have doubts until you do. Beating Iran and the like doesn’t inspire confidence the same as putting a hattrick past Maidstone doesn’t. Needs the stoppage time equaliser in the big cup tie.
He's done it in a bigger game than any other England manager since 1966.

Hertsccfc

Which game?
Euro semi final. No other manager has won one since 1966. Also only one other has won a World Cup Quarter Final.

Our record in major tournaments under Southgate is demonstrably better than under any other manager since 1966.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Was beating Germany not a big game? I don’t think we had beaten them in KO game since 1966.

In 2018, we probably had enough to beat Croatia but even if we’d won, we were going to be big underdogs against France or Belgium. It was the only tournament where there was no expectation because our team outside Sterling and Kane (attacking players) was lacking in big players.

TomRad85

I find it hard to believe even semi competent managers wouldn't have done what Southgate did as a minimum with the draws he's had. I wouldn't want him here that's for sure, absolutely honking club manager.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SBT

I find it hard to believe even semi competent managers wouldn't have done what Southgate did as a minimum with the draws he's had. I wouldn't want him here that's for sure, absolutely honking club manager.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
All our previous managers dating back decades have performed similarly or (more commonly) worse than Southgate, and many of them had much better squads at their disposal.

shmmeee

Euro semi final. No other manager has won one since 1966. Also only one other has won a World Cup Quarter Final.

Our record in major tournaments under Southgate is demonstrably better than under any other manager since 1966.

Denmark were heavy underdogs for that game though. That’s the point. In the actual big game that followed he bottled it.

shmmeee

Was beating Germany not a big game? I don’t think we had beaten them in KO game since 1966.

In 2018, we probably had enough to beat Croatia but even if we’d won, we were going to be big underdogs against France or Belgium. It was the only tournament where there was no expectation because our team outside Sterling and Kane (attacking players) was lacking in big players.

What endears a player or a manager to fans isn’t achieving what’s expected of you/the squad, it’s pulling off the unexpected. That’s why we cheered louder for the goals against Wolves than Maidstone. And why Robins is a better manager than Kompany.

Users who are viewing this thread