Englands World Cup Squad 2014- who would you pick and why? (1 Viewer)

ohitsaidwalker king power

Hi all. A brief debate on the main CCFC forum re Englands world cup chances 2014 led me to ponder the options for squad selection.I know its only January so lots of opportunity to consider alternatives.
So if you were the England manager- who would you pick and why?
There is lots of resource out there- I found this link
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...pick-your-23-then-compare-to-our-choices.html
Which is quite a novel approach?

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/world-cup-team-specials/england/to-make-world-cup-squad
How the bookies see it.

Should we rely on the experience of Gerrard, Lampard, Cole... or blood "the kids" Lallana, Oxlade Chamberlaine etc with a view to them gaining experience in what we all acknowledge(apart from the rabid press!!) is a world cup England have little or no chance in?

All welcome of course, not limited to "Englishmen"... although those from a non English persuasion- if you could temper your world cup "anxieties:eek: " for England's fate to reasoned arguments would be great.:wave:

Last edited:

The Penguin

I probably went more youth than experience, though there are still some old heads (Gerrard and Cole in particular). Wouldn't take Lampard personally, think at international level he's past it. My squad was:

Keepers: Hart, Foster, Butland
Defenders: Baines, Cahill, Caulker, Cole, Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Jones, Smalling
Midfielders: Barkley, Carrick, Chamberlain, Gerrard, Lallana, Rodwell, Wilshere
Forwards: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Townsend, Walcott

I'd maybe swap out either Townsend or Walcott for a more traditional centre-forward type like Andy Carroll, but I wouldn't be starting him ever.

I also avoided picking people like Barry and Milner, because while I understand the notion that they "do a job" I don't think that job is remotely approaching international class, and their careers are on the way out.

I definitely think youth should be prioritised ahead of experience. It's the next World Cup we should be worried about, the weather will be much more to our liking and a great deal of the youngsters will be in their prime.

Just my opinion :)

stupot07

I'd probably go. Still plenty of experience gerrard, Cole, Rooney plus walcott,Johnson and jagielka who have a fair number of caps.

Keepers: Hart, Foster, Forster

Defenders: Baines, Cahill, Caulker, Cole, Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Walker, Smalling

Midfielders: Barkley, huddlestone, Chamberlain, Gerrard, Lallana, cleverly, Wilshere

Forwards: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Walcott, sterling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

SkyBlue_Bear83

GK: Hart, Foster, Forster
Defenders: Johnson, Walker, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Dawson, Cole, Baines
Midfield: Chamberlain, Barkley, Gerrard, Wilshere, Lallana, Carrick, Hudds, Townsend
Strikers: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert

Outside shouts could be Curtis Davis, Gareth Barry, Jay Rodriguez. I'd also consider asking Terry if he wants to come along as I think Cahill and Terry are developing a very good understanding at Chelsea

stupot07

every body seems to pick johnsson and walker two of the worst defenders at international level.

There's a dearth of talent for English right backs....I'm struggling to think of any that play regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

thaiskyblue

There's a dearth of talent for English right backs....I'm struggling to think of any that play regularly.

i agree, but i believe first and foremost defenders should do just that, anything else is a big bonus.

stupot07

i agree, but i believe first and foremost defenders should do just that, anything else is a big bonus.

I agree, but I really can't think of anyone else, I don't like the thought of playing jones or smalling out of position, Richards doesn't play, lowton's having a mixed season, is clyne English? Jenkinson doesn't play enough.

stupot07

i think we are average at best, don't rate smalling or jones, never seen much of lowton , and who is cline ?

He's the lad at Southampton that came from crystal palace. I've not really seen that much of him to be honest.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
As a Coventry-born "Paddy", I'm not a huge England fan, but would LOVE to see them do well in the World Cup. 1966 was such a long time ago and I remember it well. Even my old mum, a real old Cork lady, was leaping around when the final whistle went!
As for the team, I'm not too good at making selections, but I would certainly include Southampton's Ricky Lambert. Sturridge and Welbeck should also be included. Just my worthless opinion :thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread