England v Costa Rica (2 Viewers)

Otis

Let's see your team here.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Celtic), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion)

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Chris Smalling (Manchester United)

Midfielders
: Ross Barkley (Everton), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Southampton), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards
: Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)

Not great is it!!

Would stick with Hart. Replace johnson with Jones and Baines with Shaw.

Would like to see both Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain (if fit) play and so too Wilshere (again, if fit). Up front it's pretty much just Sturridge or Rooney I would say. Besides the defence, it is up top that worries me the most. Where is the next Shearer/Linekar/Owen coming from?

-------- Hart ----------

----- Jones Cahill Jagielka Shaw

Oxlade-Chamberlain Wilshere Lallana Sterling

-----------Barclay -----------

---------Sturridge ------------

Would worry about the lack of tackling ability within the midfield there and strength we could most certainly do with a holding midfielder for sure, but I don't think Henderson is good enough and I think we need to rest Gerrard. Squad is very thin.

What I think will happen is that Gerrard will play, have one last really good game and go home a retired 'hero.'

Terry Gibson's perm

----------Hart---------
Johnson,Cahill,Jones,Shaw
Ox,Wilshire,Henderson,Sterling
------Barclay-------------
---- Sturridge-------------

With Joe hart to captain the side

Otis

Do think it will have to be Henderson or Gerrard. Think we'll have to have some sort of holding player there. Don't think Wilshere has the discipline to do that, so your team looks pretty accurate.

Brighton Sky Blue

The irony of us being the only team to beat Costa Rica but finish bottom of the group would be quite something.

Otis

Costa Rica though will now surely not play their first 11. They will want to get through without injury or suspensions. Only thing that can get worse for England is if Costa Rica play their second 11 and still soundly beat us.

That happens and I do think Hodgson is going to get a hell of a lot of flak from back home.

Terry Gibson's perm

He will get stick from the press but the FA have said his job is safe and are still talking about winning it in 2022, my suggestion Mr Dyke is take half your salary until 2022 and then when we win it you get all the money back.

Otis

Interesting from training today?

BBC reporting that at the training session today both first team fullbacks and Gerrard sat out and watched. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Luke Shaw in.

turlykerd

My heart wants England to bow out in style with a massive performance,a great win with fast fluent attacking football, showing what we can do when it all clicks ... My head wants us to get hammered forcing the hand of the sweet FA and making the choice of RH unattainable.

stupot07

Interesting from training today?

BBC reporting that at the training session today both first team fullbacks and Gerrard sat out and watched. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Luke Shaw in.

I'd be making more changes that that.

Hart
Johnson (only rightback in the squad) jones (smalling is even more shocking) Cahill shaw
Henderson wilshire
Ox Barkley lallana
Rooney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

No Sterling? :eek:

I'd like to see both Ox and Sterling play. Both really quick and have the ability to terrorise defences.

I'd give Jones another go at right back. Simply based on the fact that I think Johnson is far too past his best to ever play for England again.

stupot07

No Sterling? :eek:

I'd like to see both Ox and Sterling play. Both really quick and have the ability to terrorise defences.

I'd give Jones another go at right back. Simply based on the fact that I think Johnson is far too past his best to ever play for England again.

No, he struggled in the last game so I would leave him out, he also offers little defensive cover and neither he nor ox use their pace to run in behind. In general they like to run at you from deep and with Barkley in there who's also similar I think it would be a bit samey. That's why I'd bring lallana in, he likes to pass the ball, get it forward then make third man runs into the box. We've not seen sterling in the box at all in 2 games.

Johnson is shite, and shouldn't play again, but jones isn't a right back, so that's why I'd play him centre back (smalling is shocking IMO).

It will be interesting when Walcotts fit as he is different to both ox and sterling And looks to get in behind which opens up passes for Rooney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Walcott's touch lets him down though. Sometimes I think he just puts his head down and runs and hopes for the best, with the bal bouncing off his shins have the time.

And the thing is about Johnson, he is finished. Can't see him ever playing for England again, so why play him on Tuesday? I don't rate Jones but he has played full back before and he is the sort of utility player who will I'm sure figure in Hodgson's plans for the future.

I think Sterling suffered against Uruguay due to the fact he had to make way for Rooney. Had he kept the same role he had against Italy he may well have had the same sort of joy.

stupot07

Yeah know what you're saying about Walcott, however he is different from anything else we've got in the squad. It's the fact that he's not interested in dribbling but looks to run on in behind. No one in the current squad does that. That pushes defences back and creates more space for the likes of Barkley. His touch is poor but he's a decent finisher. I think we need to start picking the best team not the best group of individuals.

Agreed Johnson is finished, but just feel that if Jones is going to end up a centre back it would be best to play him there now.

Otis

Sounds like I don't rate Walcott, but in fact I do. He is unpredictable at times and he does have a good footballing brain when it comes to movement. Shows a great deal of intelligence at times off the ball.

Paxman II

I think we should change the keeper too. Not been impressed with Hart. Fails to come off his line, gets caught out of position and I also question his athleticism. Suarez caught him failing to watch his near post from a corner twice! The cross that Baliotelli scored his winning header from he could have come for. Just not convinced.

The rest of the team must be all those we thought would make the team in the first place but didn't because Roy was just not brave enough to drop Rooney.

Jagielka is not good enough. Johnson is out of form.

Team: Smalling at Right back as it's unfortunately the only choice we have. Jones Cahill Shaw

Henderson holding (he had a competent two games)

the Ox Wilshire Llanna Sterling

Sturridge

Barkley not ready yet. He's also a bit like Rooney, a free agent roving around that just does not suit a team game.

Otis

I'd still pick Barclay.

He may be raw but what better time to pick him that in match that doesn't matter one little bit.

I reckon he'll play and I hope he does.

Paxman II

It seems that Lampard will play and captain the side. While that's not what I wanted it is a reward for a player who has been fantastic for England.
Hodgson has also said he wants Gerrard to continue playing for England.

So now for me we are getting to the nitty gritty of it all.
At this point in time I would have finally bitten the bullet and concentrated solely on my young guns. He still can't quite do it though can he? There in lies the problem and why he played Rooney the other night instead of dropping him to the bench.

This for me is why we need a manager who will take the young guns on and have no loyalty for the aging stars.
You must be ruthless. The country needs a different mentality if we are to win tournaments.

Otis

Why not give Lampard his last ever game in a friendly after the world cup is over?

Really would like to look at the future England team tomorrow to be honest. We all know what Lampard can and can't do. I really want to see how the likes of Lallana and Wilshere play together, Barclay and Sturridge, Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Oh well, I can dream I suppose.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Why not give Lampard his last ever game in a friendly after the world cup is over?

Really would like to look at the future England team tomorrow to be honest. We all know what Lampard can and can't do. I really want to see how the likes of Lallana and Wilshere play together, Barclay and Sturridge, Sterling and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Oh well, I can dream I suppose.

I think Barkley, Lallana, Shaw, Sturridge and Sterling will all be playing tomorrow. Ox isn't considered fit enough

ccfc92

Suarez missing the game vs England, now that is a "what if....?" if ever there was one :thinking about:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Team has been named for tomorrow

Foster
Jones
Cahill
Smalling
Shaw
Lampard
Milner
Barkley
Lallana
Sturridge

Can't remember the other player, it was Wilshere or Henderson I think

Otis

Team has been named for tomorrow

Foster
Jones
Cahill
Smalling
Shaw
Lampard
Milner
Barkley
Lallana
Sturridge

Can't remember the other player, it was Wilshere or Henderson I think

Milner and Smalling!!

Hoorah. The future of English football is secure!

And where's Sterling? With Sterling or Oxlade Chamberlain we at least had a bit of real pace about us in the middle of the park and down the flanks. Now in the middle we have the ever slowing, always aging Frank Lampard and the super speedy James Milner.

Oh well.

Glad at least Lallana and Wilshere are playing together.

stupot07

Oxlade hurt his knee in training yesterday

What a waste of a squad place, should have took carrick from the back up squad.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
What a shower of shit! How the fuck did England even qualify for the finals? There's hope for us Paddy's yet!

turlykerd

I turned over for the last 15 minutes to the Italy game...just to stop myself from selfharming ... And I caught a proper game.

England have been terrible..just terrible

SkyblueBazza

A few points from me...
1. Anyone that expects or even thinks we are anywhere near world-beaters has not been watching English football with their brain in-gear for about 15-20yrs
2. Better performance tonight, actually did enough to win it IMO
3. The defining comment for me about England's football future was from the commentator on ITV tonight...words to the effect that Costa Rica were supposed to be the whipping-boys in this group! EVERYONE casting judgement about Roy Hodgson needs to think about whether they're victims of negative media propaganda because that's their line now & when he was with Liverpool. THEY said Costa Rica were the whipping-boys. THEY got it wrong...THEY are not "experts" at all. Don't fall for their idiotic agendas on anything let alone football.

PUSB

J

Jack Griffin

What a waste of a squad place, should have took carrick from the back up squad.

They never f***ing learn

Users who are viewing this thread