SVN.png
Slovenia

EST.png
Estonia

LTU.png
Lithuania

SMR.png
San Marino

Just reflecting on England and therefore the future.

Anyone else slightly disappointed with that Euro qualifying group above for 2016? Seem certain to qualify out of that I would think and then it will be back into a major tournament for us to fail yet again. Think it would be much better if we had a much tougher group. Let us see what the team are really made of.

Playing San Marino and Estonia (ranked 101st int he world) and Lithuania (ranked 106th) is hardly going to test our mettle is it. We do usually qualify for finals of competitions, but then of course flatter to deceive.

This is another group we should be able to get out of with little trouble (top 2 qualify).

Switzerland are not a bad side at all, but I think if we want to progress we need stiffer competition from the off, not a breeze through and then to fail miserably in the tournament itself.

I wonder who might be in the squad in 2 years time and how many of the current senior players (if any). Would only guess at Joe Hart.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I could see something like

Hart
Forster
Butland

Stones
Cahill
Jones
Smalling
Flanagan
Walker
Shaw
Gibbs

Wilshere
Barkley
Lallana
Sterling
Ox
Henderson
Walcott

Rooney
Sturridge
Wickham
Welbeck

Looks extremely weak to me, unless several of Ox, Barkley, Sterling, Shaw progress to be world beaters then we will go out at the group stage again. Who would be captain? Rooney or Hart would be my call

Our youth teams always seem to do well, our U17s have won the 2010 and 2014 european championships. The U21s were runners up at the 2009 tournament, they just never make the step up whether that is due to lack of chances at club level or otherwise.

Will be interesting how these players develop
Powell
Bamford
Zaha
Ravel Morrison
Will Hughes
Jack Robinson
Andre Wisdom
Ward-Prowse
Redmond
Chalobah
McEachran

Don't hold out much hope for them tbh, fully expect most of them to fade away and become the Wayne Routledge's, Darren Bents, Aaron Lennons and Scott Parkers of tomorrow

Otis

Thought Zaha was going to be a really good player for the future, but he seems to have stalled somewhat, same as Josh McEachran.

I hear good things about Morrison and Will Hughes, so time will tell I guess.

One thing we do need is a very good out and out goal scorer. A real goal poacher. I don't believe that Sturridge quite fits that profile. Any really good up and coming strikers out there? Don't Everton supposedly have a new wonderkid, or did I hear that wrong?

Otis

Oh and I wish Kyle Walker had have been fit. Would have him in the team anyday over Glen Johnson, who now seems a shadow of the player he once was.

Otis

Another player I thought might make the step up was Tom Ince, but again after early promise I don't think he has reached the heights it looked like he could.

Otis

Found this interesting on the same subject.

A report from 2008 on England stars of the future.

http://soccerlens.com/top-20-future-england-football-stars/16341/

Jose Baxter now at Sheff Utd.

Mark Beevers now at Millwall

John Bostock now playing in Belgian 2nd division.

Nathan Delfouneso? Who's he? Never heard of him.

Delph playing for Villa in the Premiership, so he's done alright for himself.

Drinkwater at Leicester

Henderson made it to the national set up.

Hoyte playing for Dagenham and Redbridge in League 2

Lansbury's at Forest

McEachran still with Chelsea but loaned out here there and everywhere

Mellis is plying his trade at now League One Barnsley.

Moses plumped for Nigeria

Ranger is now a 'free agent.'

Rodwell now a bit of an outcast at Man City. West Brom apparently interested.

Freddie Sears? THAT Freddie Sears?

Jojo Shelvey. Done alright for himself.

Welbeck made the England setup.

Wilshere made the England setup

Aiden White plays for Leeds.

Michael White plays for Harrogate Town.

Guessing we can expect a similar return from this current crop. Promise at 16-17 is so often just that and nowt else, promise!

SkyBlue_Bear83

January 2013, these 15 teens were indentified (albeit by the Mail). Not sure how many of them have progressed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2260119/Englands-future-15-teen-stars-YOU-excited-about.html

Think George Green many have been the player I heard about.

Don't know a lot about then, Jack Grealish was on loan at Notts County the season just gone. Had a good season at league 1 level. Future international though?

Max Clayton was dubbed the next star to come out of the Crewe academy when he first came onto the scene. Although I know a lot of Crewe fans now don't really rate him, scored against us at the Ricoh

Chalobah has done well in loan spells at Watford and Nottingham Forest in the championship from Chelsea and Will Hughes is a main part of the Derby team

I've heard of a couple of the other players such as Jerome Sinclair and Di Girolamo but know nothing about them, I doubt many of the other on the list have yet made more than a handful first team appearances at a competitive level

Marty

I'm going to make an effort to attend the finals even if we don't reach it, would be class to hire a camper and just try to attend as many games as possible.

We'll breeze it through that group scoring about 100 goals and conceding 2, pumping our hopes up, flags will be out pubs will be rammed and we'll flap it again scoring 2 goals and conceding about 100. Then we will go through the same arguments that happen now only for the same fecking things to happen 2 years later.

Otis

We'll breeze it through that group scoring about 100 goals and conceding 2, pumping our hopes up, flags will be out pubs will be rammed and we'll flap it again scoring 2 goals and conceding about 100. Then we will go through the same arguments that happen now only for the same fecking things to happen 2 years later.

Yep!! Indeed.

That's why I'd much rather see us in a tougher group. When we are in these weaker groups it makes us look a lot better than we actually are.

Get Germany or France in our qualifying group and top that and THEN we are talking.

CJ_covblaze

With the layout of the E2016 it's virtually impossible for us not to qualify no matter what teams are in our group. The main problem with playing crap teams is the way how the FIFA rankings work we would be in a worse position points wise after beating San Marino 7-0 than we were beforehand!

We've got Switzerland & Estonia booked up. Getting Scotland (rumoured to be a done deal), Ireland and Slovenia sorted asap. Really looking forward to this campaign and France. For anyone that wants to go to the games out there I'd recommend you to start going now to at least every home game otherwise you'll really struggle to get tickets. Trust me once you start going you'll catch the bug and will become addicted. It's not as expensive as some make out, you'll meet some great people and visit some amazing places.

Something that gets my goat is how the FA have just changed the way how EnglandFans works. We now get one cap for going to the arse end of nowhere in Eastern Europe or a friendly in Sydney but we get two for paying 20 quid to walk into Wembley! Logically it was the other way round before. Wonder if that was Greg Dyke's idea?

Brighton Sky Blue

With the layout of the E2016 it's virtually impossible for us not to qualify no matter what teams are in our group. The main problem with playing crap teams is the way how the FIFA rankings work we would be in a worse position points wise after beating San Marino 7-0 than we were beforehand!

We've got Switzerland & Estonia booked up. Getting Scotland (rumoured to be a done deal), Ireland and Slovenia sorted asap. Really looking forward to this campaign and France. For anyone that wants to go to the games out there I'd recommend you to start going now to at least every home game otherwise you'll really struggle to get tickets. Trust me once you start going you'll catch the bug and will become addicted. It's not as expensive as some make out, you'll meet some great people and visit some amazing places.

Something that gets my goat is how the FA have just changed the way how EnglandFans works. We now get one cap for going to the arse end of nowhere in Eastern Europe or a friendly in Sydney but we get two for paying 20 quid to walk into Wembley! Logically it was the other way round before. Wonder if that was Greg Dyke's idea?

Useful stuff CJ. Very keen for us to get Scotland as it'd be far easier for me to go than it would to get to Wembley!

Brighton Sky Blue

Yep!! Indeed.

That's why I'd much rather see us in a tougher group. When we are in these weaker groups it makes us look a lot better than we actually are.

Get Germany or France in our qualifying group and top that and THEN we are talking.

They've made it pretty easy for anyone half decent to qualify for the Euros. Fully expect the Scots to come through their group containing Germany.

SkyBlue_Bear83

What do people think of Andros Townsend? Burst on to the scene at the start of the season and was fantastic in the first quarter of the season, second half of the season very stop start with injury and an ankle injury put him out of the world cup.

I think he has ability but needs a lot of coaching and to be more disciplined, what I particularly like is that he is very two footed and can go on inside or outside on either foot. Not many English players can do that, needs to improve his decision making but that should improve with experience. Personally I think their is talent their.

Also what do people think on Theo Walcott, I think he is vastly overrated. He is a very instinctive finisher but I can't see many other strengths other than pace, he's 25 now and still has yet to master footballing basics.

Just been having a debate on this on another forum and I seem to be on my own. Does anyone agree with me or am I crazy?

Which will be the better player for England by Euro 2016?

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't really follow Scottish football but you think they will finish above Poland and ROI?

Would definitely favour them over the Republic. Poland will be tighter but they should win at Hampden and be good enough for at least a draw away. Strachan is making the world of difference to them at the moment.

Marty

I've never been to an England game, does it work on the basis of say a club ran side, where the ST holders are looked after first and then whatever is left over goes on general release?

I really fancy going to the competition, even if it's just for a week.

stupot07

Group E

ENG.png
England

SUI.png
Switzerland

SVN.png
Slovenia

EST.png
Estonia

LTU.png
Lithuania

SMR.png
San Marino

Just reflecting on England and therefore the future.

Anyone else slightly disappointed with that Euro qualifying group above for 2016? Seem certain to qualify out of that I would think and then it will be back into a major tournament for us to fail yet again. Think it would be much better if we had a much tougher group. Let us see what the team are really made of.

Playing San Marino and Estonia (ranked 101st int he world) and Lithuania (ranked 106th) is hardly going to test our mettle is it. We do usually qualify for finals of competitions, but then of course flatter to deceive.

This is another group we should be able to get out of with little trouble (top 2 qualify).

Switzerland are not a bad side at all, but I think if we want to progress we need stiffer competition from the off, not a breeze through and then to fail miserably in the tournament itself.

I wonder who might be in the squad in 2 years time and how many of the current senior players (if any). Would only guess at Joe Hart.

This is one of the biggest problems, we don't play too side competitively enough, we generally play European bilge qualify quite comfortably then everyone starts getting a bit excited building up to the tournament because of a) qualifying comfortably and b) managing to get a decent result against the odd good side in a friendly where both teams have made 7-8 subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

CJ_covblaze

I've never been to an England game, does it work on the basis of say a club ran side, where the ST holders are looked after first and then whatever is left over goes on general release?

I really fancy going to the competition, even if it's just for a week.

Kinda yeah. However to get tickets for tournaments and away games you have to be an Englandfans member. This costs £75 for a Euro/WC qualifying and tournament campaign. Some complain about the cost but you will get a fiver off tickets for all home games and 15% off in the store so it's not bad value really.

Due to demand anyone wanting to go to France will need a large amount of caps beforehand. That's why I advise to start going now if you fancied it.

If Dave was starting from scratch now to get to an enough caps (around 20-25) he will need to go to every home game (should be 8-10 before E2016) plus at least a couple of away trips. One issue is that not every ground is like Basel, Dublin and fingers crossed Celtic Park where we should get as many as we want. The grounds in Estonia, Slovinia, San Marino and Lithuania all compare to those in League One/Two so the allocations will be very limited meaning Dave will struggle to get tickets and caps for those games too.

Having said this there is the possibility of getting tickets for games through the UEFA ballot (for what it's worth!). There's also touts but there are obvious risks there.

What I would say is, tournaments are so much more than a few dozen games. A few of my mates are going to France just to experience the atmosphere. Can guarantee they'll still have a great time.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

This is one of the biggest problems, we don't play too side competitively enough, we generally play European bilge qualify quite comfortably then everyone starts getting a bit excited building up to the tournament because of a) qualifying comfortably and b) managing to get a decent result against the odd good side in a friendly where both teams have made 7-8 subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
Then all our players will be labelled world class for a decent performance against a country who are an even worse team than Cov

Marty

Kinda yeah. However to get tickets for tournaments and away games you have to be an Englandfans member. This costs £75 for a Euro/WC qualifying and tournament campaign. Some complain about the cost but you will get a fiver off tickets for all home games and 15% off in the store so it's not bad value really.

Due to demand anyone wanting to go to France will need a large amount of caps beforehand. That's why I advise to start going now if you fancied it.

If Dave was starting from scratch now to get to an enough caps (around 20-25) he will need to go to every home game (should be 8-10 before E2016) plus at least a couple of away trips. One issue is that not every ground is like Basel, Dublin and fingers crossed Celtic Park where we should get as many as we want. The grounds in Estonia, Slovinia, San Marino and Lithuania all compare to those in League One/Two so the allocations will be very limited meaning Dave will struggle to get tickets and caps for those games too.

Having said this there is the possibility of getting tickets for games through the UEFA ballot (for what it's worth!). There's also touts but there are obvious risks there.

What I would say is, tournaments are so much more than a few dozen games. A few of my mates are going to France just to experience the atmosphere. Can guarantee they'll still have a great time.

Great info, I think I may avoid the England games then, in reality I'm not going to spend £400+ on the off chance I'll get a ticket. If I could say set up camp in a city that England will play in so you can be involved with all the build up etc etc, then just attend other games.

It appeals to me so much going to this tournament, best to treat it as a holiday with a couple of football games included I think.

Otis

Great info, I think I may avoid the England games then, in reality I'm not going to spend £400+ on the off chance I'll get a ticket. If I could say set up camp in a city that England will play in so you can be involved with all the build up etc etc, then just attend other games.

It appeals to me so much going to this tournament, best to treat it as a holiday with a couple of football games included I think.

My missus has said she wants to go on holiday in France, but I have always been against it.

She has absolutely no idea about any football tournaments anywhere, so I may just suggest I've had a change of heart and maybe we should go the year after next!

Users who are viewing this thread