End Product - The Statistics (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I posted this on another topic, but think it probably deserves its own thread. I was looking at the stats from last night and once again we have dominated possession, set pieces, and shots. However, we lost 2-0. Result aside, it feels like you could copy and paste the same figures for about 80% of our games this season. It got me thinking, so I went through and looked at the goals and assists from our team per player. The list is core squad members, and their stats include their full CCFC career, which obviously means in some cases games across other leagues and not just the Championship.

Fantaky Dabo: 94 games, 5 assists, 0 goals.
Jake Bidwell: 10 games, 0 assists, 0 goals.
Jake Clarke-Salter: 28 games, 0 assists, 0 goals.
Dominic Hyam: 180 games, 1 assist, 9 goals.
Michael Rose: 83 games, 4 assists, 3 goals.
Kyle McFadzean: 112 games, 2 assists, 5 goals.
Ian Maatsen: 33 games, 1 assist, 3 goals.
Todd Kane: 25 games, 5 assists, 1 goal.

Gustavo Hamer: 76 games, 9 assists, 8 goals.
Ben Sheaf: 62 games, 5 assists, 0 goals.
Jamie Allen: 70 games, 4 assists, 3 goals.
Liam Kelly: 144 games, 11 assists, 3 goals.
Jordan Shipley: 160 games, 14 assists, 20 goals.
Josh Eccles: 26 games, 1 assist, 0 goals.
Callum O´Hare: 125 games, 20 assists, 10 goals.

Viktor Gyokeres: 56 games, 5 assists, 17 goals.
Matty Godden: 78 games, 6 assists, 32 goals.
Martyn Waghorn: 23 games, 2 assists, 1 goal.
Tyler Walker: 53 games, 3 assists, 11 goals.

It raises a few points:

- We have some great players in the squad, but there is probably more dead wood not contributing than people think.
- If we are insistent on the wingback system, we need players in those positions to contribute with assists and goals, which they aren´t doing enough.
- If the strikers are having an off day, we are unlikely to score. The midfield are extremely goal shy other than Hamer, who often sits deep anyway.
- There are a few players that had better stats in lower leagues, but aren´t performing to this level.
- Some CBs have more assists and goals than midfielders.
- I know as a CB it isn´t your job to score, but they should be a threat at set pieces. We are extremely poor at utilising them in my opinion (but that is a separate point not necessarily linked to these stats).

People can of course interpret this information as they want to, and I hope we can have a good debate about it. It isn´t just a case of having a go because we lost last night. There is a bigger picture here that probably needs addressing and has been on my mind for a while. Certainly from a personal perspective it gets so frustrating to watch us dominate so many games but come up short too often.

Interested to hear other people´s opinions on this.

Last edited:

rexo87

I posted this on another topic, but think it probably deserves its own thread. I was looking at the stats from last night and once again we have dominated possession, set pieces, and shots. However, we lost 2-0. Result aside, it feels like you could copy and paste the same figures for about 80% of our games this season. It got me thinking, so I went through and looked at the goals and assists from our team per player. The list is core squad members, and their stats include their full CCFC career, which obviously means in some cases games across other leagues and not just the Championship.

Dominic Hyam: 180 games, 9 assists, 1 goal.

It raises a few points:

- We have some great players in the squad, but there is probably more dead wood not contributing than people think.
- If we are insistent on the wingback system, we need players in those positions to contribute with assists and goals, which they aren´t doing enough.
- If the strikers are having an off day, we are unlikely to score. The midfield are extremely goal shy other than Hamer, who often sits deep anyway.
- There are a few players that had better stats in lower leagues, but aren´t performing to this level.
- I know as a CB it isn´t your job to score, but they should be a threat at set pieces. We are extremely poor at utilising them in my opinion (but that is a separate point not necessarily linked to these stats).

People can of course interpret this information as they want to, and I hope we can have a good debate about it. It isn´t just a case of having a go because we lost last night. There is a bigger picture here that probably needs addressing and has been on my mind for a while. Certainly from a personal perspective it gets so frustrating to watch us dominate so many games but come up short too often.

Pretty much agree with most of that. I also think as poor as our wing backs crossing is there is a completely lack of bodies and movement in the area when we get the ball wide. I would love to see Hamer or Allen trying to get into the box and support the strikers when the ball is wide but this never happens. Our strikers are also not good in the air so really getting the ball wide and crossing the ball in doesn't really work. The only time we look dangerous is when we go through the middle and through Ohare but that becomes fairly easy to defend against

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

SBT

Player A - 74 goals, 57 assists in 405 career games
Player B - 124 goals, 69 assists in 463 games
Player C - 73 goals, 91 assists in 407 games

Who’s the best option for us in the #10 role this season? Answers below!

Player A - Jamie Paterson
Player B - Martyn Waghorn
Player C - Paul Pogba

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Player A - 74 goals, 57 assists in 405 career games
Player B - 124 goals, 69 assists in 463 games
Player C - 73 goals, 91 assists in 407 games

Who’s the best option for us in the #10 role this season? Answers below!

Player A - Jamie Paterson
Player B - Martyn Waghorn
Player C - Paul Pogba

Waghorn's stats for us are not good to be honest.

cc84cov

Sparks said Dabo is better than Kane

Dabo stats are woeful compared to Kane who’s got 5 assists and 1 goal in 25 games compared to 0 goals 5 assists in 94 games

Kane should be first choice

Evo1883

Sparks said Dabo is better than Kane

Dabo stats are woeful compared to Kane who’s got 5 assists and 1 goal in 25 games compared to 0 goals 5 assists in 94 games

Kane should be first choice
Dabo has better defensive ,dribbling and passing stats , beats kane in most metrics besides chance creation , but kane takes set pieces too

Some whopping myths about dabo on here atm

NorthernWisdom

Dabo has better defensive ,dribbling and passing stats , beats kane in most metrics besides chance creation , but kane takes set pieces too

Some whopping myths about dabo on here atm
Dabo also arguably suits our style of play better.

(Now, I was going to say that that does beg the question why we signed another first team RWB when budget is limited, but Dabo does miss a fair few games).

slowpoke

Not counting yesterday as the whole team were poor but in my opinion Dabo has a bit to do to up his game all round, I hope he can.

Evo1883

Kane is a better Wing back in a flat 4 I can see your argument

If you only want a wing back to put a decent cross in then yes I suppose you would prefer him (10% more accurate at best) despite him being weaker at basically everything else

Evo1883

Not counting yesterday as the whole team were poor but in my opinion Dabo has a bit to do to up his game all round, I hope he can.
Dabo helped create 4 of our shots on goal, more than any other player in the team his pass accuracy was third best in the team .. he was the second best rated player in our team yesterday on OPTA .. skybluestalk rated him the worst player on the pitch ... bias plays a huge role in the nonsense people spout

NorthernWisdom

Dabo helped create 4 of our shots on goal, more than any other player in the team his pass accuracy was third best in the team .. he was the second best rated player in our team yesterday on OPTA .. skybluestalk rated him the worst player on the pitch ... bias plays a huge role in the nonsense people spout
Dabo seems to have gone from hero to zero because the manager bafflingly put him at centre back now and again (and occasionally, if less bafflingly, LWB).

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think that having the two of them vying for the place, both with different attributes and allowing a bit of rest with rotation when necessary in a very athletically demanding position can only be good.

Are there better players than them in that position? Certainly. Are we likely to be able to afford them? No. So rather than arguing about which is better let's enjoy the fact we've got the choice. It'd be nice to have a similar dilemma on the left next season.

Philosorapter

Dominic Hyam: 180 games, 1 assist, 9 goals.

It raises a few points:

Earlsdon, entertain me. Could you redo the stats just with Championship games, if possible?

slowpoke

Don’t give a shit what OPTA says only what I see with my own eyes and I don’t think Dabo is playing anywhere near what I’ve seen he can do and hasn’t for a while. I think he does need s run of games though and hopefully he can improve, he’s a top player on form.

Evo1883

Don’t give a shit what OPTA says only what I see with my own eyes and I don’t think Dabo is playing anywhere near what I’ve seen he can do and hasn’t for a while. I think he does need s run of games though and hopefully he can improve, he’s a top player on form.

So you see what you want to see then , fair enough atleast you admit that

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Earlsdon, entertain me. Could you redo the stats just with Championship games, if possible?

I knew someone would ask! But you did very politely, so I am happy to oblige ;)

Here is the list based on Championship games (CCFC only).

Fantaky Dabo: 52 games, 1 assist, 0 goals.
Jake Bidwell: 9 games, 0 assists, 0 goals.
Jake Clarke-Salter: 26 games, 0 assists, 0 goals.
Dominic Hyam: 76 games, 0 assists, 5 goals.
Michael Rose: 39 games, 1 assist, 2 goals.
Kyle McFadzean: 70 games, 1 assist, 5 goals.
Ian Maatsen: 31 games, 1 assist, 3 goals.
Todd Kane: 23 games, 4 assists, 1 goal.

Gustavo Hamer: 72 games, 9 assists, 8 goals.
Ben Sheaf: 58 games, 4 assists, 0 goals.
Jamie Allen: 50 games, 1 assist, 2 goals.
Liam Kelly: 36 games, 1 assist, 2 goals.
Jordan Shipley: 35 games, 2 assists, 4 goals.
Jodi Jones: 7 games, 1 assist, 0 goals.
Josh Eccles: 10 games, 0 assists, 0 goals.
Callum O´Hare: 81 games, 13 assists, 6 goals.

Viktor Gyokeres: 54 games, 5 assists, 16 goals.
Matty Godden: 43 games, 4 assists, 17 goals.
Martyn Waghorn: 21 games, 2 assists, 1 goal.
Tyler Walker: 50 games, 3 assists, 9 goals.

cc84cov

If you only want a wing back to put a decent cross in then yes I suppose you would prefer him (10% more accurate at best) despite him being weaker at basically everything else
Why has the manager picked Kane ahead of Dabo when both fit ?

Calista

The point is that very few in the team can shoot properly, and we need to bring a couple in to do that next year. It's stating the bleedin' obvious, but you don't score by sweeping it tamely wide or too near the keeper. Go through the squad and ask yourself how confident you would be in each player to finish a clear chance from 15 yards.

Don't get me wrong, this is probably our most entertaining team since we dropped out of the Prem, and we knock it around superbly. It's just a shame so few can pick the right spot and hit it with power and accuracy. You'd like to think Robins could teach them, but I'm not sure it's something that can be learned once you are a pro in your twenties?

clint van damme

We're 11th in the league and are 11th top scorers. Lack of goals isn't quite the issue its being made out to be though clearly if we want to bridge the gap to the top 6 we need improvement.

Millwall are above us with 9 less goals but they have a fantastic defensive record.

Sick Boy

We're 11th in the league and are 11th top scorers. Lack of goals isn't quite the issue its being made out to be though clearly if we want to bridge the gap to the top 6 we need improvement.

Millwall are above us with 9 less goals but they have a fantastic defensive record.
The entire defence is a much bigger priority at the moment, we give away so many pathetic goals.

Users who are viewing this thread