Electric Cars (1 Viewer)

Marty

Why are they always so ugly?

BMW's latest effort.

bmw-i3-electric-car-2014-01.jpg.0x545_q100_crop-scale.jpg

ccfc92

on the other side tho, people flick their bean over "futuristic, out-of-this-world" cars, so the new concept cars are the in between IMO

skybluejelly

I bought an electric Renault kangoo last year for work has a bout 100 miles range ..absolutely perfect for work.. and local deliveries etc..also goes like pooh off a shovel

lewys33

I bought an electric Renault kangoo last year for work has a bout 100 miles range ..absolutely perfect for work.. and local deliveries etc..also goes like pooh off a shovel

How many years until it needs a "service" or new battery? You looked at how much that will cost?

skybluejelly

batteries are on lease £40 a month.. 4 years free service and breakdown cover included.guarantee to replace batteries if they ever fall below 75% capacity..

skybluejelly

sorry to revive an old thread..bit of a shock today ..was checking paperwork thinking im sure the van needs an mot soon and sure enough its over 3 years old now.. so book it in for an mot ..only to find out it does not require an mot as its electric ... now this is no milk float ..it does 90 mph (so i am told ) but its crazy that any electric goods vehicle does not require an mot ..surley the government are asking for trouble..they did a virtual mot on it anyway and its fine but still crazy

Grendel

Yh that is fair enough then. Don't EVER buy them ;)

Service costs will be massively lower than fuel powered cars. Less components and much much longer service intervals.

Nick

Administrator
Have seen a few i8's about, they look nice.

They always have Teslas in shopping centres, also nice!

skybluejelly

the i8s are awsome looking ..dont really like bmws but i would have one of those in a flash the back end is a great bit of design

Liquid Gold

i think our van costs about £2 for a 100 mile charge ..not that it ever goes more than a few miles a day

Does the charge go down if you just leave it parked? I'd need more than 100 miles too because I often drive to cornwall but I am interested in an electric car. Also how long does it take to charge from empty?

Nick

Administrator
I know most services have charging points now, but a pain in the arse if you want to go long distance.

skybluejelly

Does the charge go down if you just leave it parked? I'd need more than 100 miles too because I often drive to cornwall but I am interested in an electric car. Also how long does it take to charge from empty?
it goes down but not much at all..if i am honest it is fine if you are only doing local journeys but wouldn't really recommend one unless you are doing just local deliveries..the hundred miles is if you have a very light foot and like conventional vehicles ,the faster you go the less range you have.. i would say we only charge it once a week ,but like a say it just ticked a box when we were going through a green stage at work..it was good to put on publications that we had eco friendly vans

Johnnythespider

There is a new Tesla SUV does 0-60 In 3.5 seconds and has a 300 mile range. Only problem is the price at £74000.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

lewys33

Service costs will be massively lower than fuel powered cars. Less components and much much longer service intervals.

Longer service intervals yes, Less components debatable. Massively lower service costs?? You might want to check that. Find out how much is it to replace the Range Rover hybrid battery and at what intervals it should be replaced. Replacing the battery in a hybrid/full electric car is not cheap, nor do they last the lifetime of the car.

vow

Not seen any on the road, so googled it, tis nice indeed.

NorthernWisdom

Longer service intervals yes, Less components debatable. Massively lower service costs?? You might want to check that. Find out how much is it to replace the Range Rover hybrid battery and at what intervals it should be replaced. Replacing the battery in a hybrid/full electric car is not cheap, nor do they last the lifetime of the car.

That'll be why hybrids are cheap secondhand then...

skybluetony176

The green angle on electric cars don't stack up. Their carbon footprint from manufacturing is huge. This is mainly because of the lithium batteries. There's not to many places in the world that you can find lithium, Australia and the high Andes in South America are the main two locations IIRC and mining and shipping to processing plants leaves a very large footprint. Also lithium batteries are incredibly difficult to recycle. There's already mountains of used ones building up. I was reading that there's only two locations in the entire world that can fully recycle lithium batteries at a large cost so most of it is going to end up in landfill.

NorthernWisdom

The green angle on electric cars don't stack up. Their carbon footprint from manufacturing is huge. This is mainly because of the lithium batteries. There's not to many places in the world that you can find lithium, Australia and the high Andes in South America are the main two locations IIRC and mining and shipping to processing plants leaves a very large footprint. Also lithium batteries are incredibly difficult to recycle. There's already mountains of used ones building up. I was reading that there's only two locations in the entire world that can fully recycle lithium batteries at a large cost so most of it is going to end up in landfill.

New cars don't stack up full-stop really. Even if they're more efficient, the rcological thing to do is to keep your old wreck until it expires.

That said, I fancy an Alfa...

Users who are viewing this thread