Driving round Coventry in the 80’s (1 Viewer)

Boosh

There were cars in the 80s?🤯 I thought it was horse and carriage until 2000 at least?

duffer

The cars! Two Austin Landcrabs, a Reliant Robin, Vauxhall Viva HC estate (properly rare), couple of Series Landys, and a surprising amount of Talbots. When's the last time you saw a Talbot on the road?!

Poor lane choice on Four Pounds Ave though... 😁

fernandopartridge

The cars! Two Austin Landcrabs, a Reliant Robin, Vauxhall Viva HC estate (properly rare), couple of Series Landys, and a surprising amount of Talbots. When's the last time you saw a Talbot on the road?!

Poor lane choice on Four Pounds Ave though...
You did see a lot of Talbots until the early 90s but TBF Peugeot retired the brand by then. The tinny sound of their engines was always distinctive.

duffer

I always assumed it was a safety feature so you could hear them coming.

Talbot: Loud tappets save lives! 😄

Otis

Poor lane choice on Four Pounds Ave though... 😁
Erm......I owned a Talbot

Umm.... and a Reliant Robin.

Hide Reaction GIF by flor

duffer

Pretty sure there is an Avenger Tiger parked on Queensland Avenue just be fore the traffic lights.

You didn't see many of them about even in those days, as I recall. I'll rewatch!

My old man had both a Chrysler 180 and a Chrysler 2 litre at some point. I loved how they looked as a kid. They really are incredibly rare these days.

Knowing my old man, I suspect he bought them because he could get a 100% discount on any spares, direct from the supplier as it were. 😄

Astute

Pretty sure there is an Avenger Tiger parked on Queensland Avenue just be fore the traffic lights.
My first car was an Avenger Tiger in a lovely green colour. Paid £250 for it. But my mother found out and went mental. She made me sell it. Couldn't argue as I was only 15 at the time. Got £300 for it.

A few months later I bought a moped. It was a Fizzer. On the road legally at 16. Looked a right beast for a moped and unrestricted.

Both worth a fair bit of cash now.

OffenhamSkyBlue

My first car was an Avenger Tiger in a lovely green colour. Paid £250 for it. But my mother found out and went mental. She made me sell it. Couldn't argue as I was only 15 at the time. Got £300 for it.

A few months later I bought a moped. It was a Fizzer. On the road legally at 16. Looked a right beast for a moped and unrestricted.

Both worth a fair bit of cash now.
I had an unrestricted Fizzer from age 16 - used to get about 55 out of it (with a fair wind and gradient!!), and certainly dumped on the kids who had brand new mopeds that could only do 30!!
My first car aged 17 was a 10-year-old Canley-built Triumph Toledo. Loved it! It listed to starboard a bit when i sold it due to the amount of filler in the bottom of the driver's door!!

Astute

I had an unrestricted Fizzer from age 16 - used to get about 55 out of it (with a fair wind and gradient!!), and certainly dumped on the kids who had brand new mopeds that could only do 30!!
My first car aged 17 was a 10-year-old Canley-built Triumph Toledo. Loved it! It listed to starboard a bit when i sold it due to the amount of filler in the bottom of the driver's door!!
Similar speed to the one I had. Cracked the piston rings a couple of times but was an easy enough job to do.

RedSalmon

A teacher at school had an Avenger Tiger, it looked amazing!!

On a different note (Duffer) the Chrysler 180 was a good looking car but totally messed up by the way it was developed. If you have the time look it up on Wiki, it will make you weep!!

Irish Sky Blue

Think it must be early ‘87 as the trees don’t seem in bloom plus there is no one driving around with sky blue ribbons attached to their car bonnet.

ajsccfc

What's the name of the pub at 3:20 ish that was knocked down for sky blue way to come in? I'm sure it was my old man's local until he was forced down to the hand and heart instead

Users who are viewing this thread