Doug King's radio interview (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueGuy

Doug had a radio interview this morning (mentioned on BBC 5 live). I was busy at the time. Did anybody catch it? Was it just relating to the incident with Palmer?

DaventryCov

I did listen and at no point did he say he would go in January.
When asked if he’d stay beyond this window, why didn’t he say he will? If we’re serious about trying to go up this season we need to keep him even if it means going for free in the summer

No.
He basically said that clubs should forfeit matches in the event of incidents of racial abuse and that point deductions should be imposed for further transgressions. Whilst such penalties would hurt clubs, peer pressure would produce a much more timely and effective solution to the problem than criminal prosecutions which take much longer to investigate and process.

Larry Fan

A lot of talk and very little action. Seems to love the sound of his own voice. Unsure the need for these constant interviews. Even making the racism incident about him as he did with the banners last week.

Manchester_sky_blue

No.
He basically said that clubs should forfeit matches in the event of incidents of racial abuse and that point deductions should be imposed for further transgressions. Whilst such penalties would hurt clubs, peer pressure would produce a much more timely and effective solution to the problem than criminal prosecutions which take much longer to investigate and process.
He's right, it's the only way it will stop. Much as I hate the thought of innocent fans being punished for the actions of a minority of morons there really is no other way.

Balli001

When asked if he’d stay beyond this window, why didn’t he say he will? If we’re serious about trying to go up this season we need to keep him even if it means going for free in the summer
Because if we are offered a ridiculous amount he will sell him. If he said he would stay then sold him idiots like you start crying and demand he sells the club.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Peer pressure could be powerful at some point and people should be ok to speak up and report or challenge but what happens when that eventually escalates and the innocent fan gets battered by the idiot or a group of fans believe they have the right to beat up the idiot.

Needs a lot of thinking through but retrospective action on teams who persist and repeat should warrant some form of punishment, I know that affects so many innocent fans but take Wednesday, this isnt their first instance this year and I am sure on a west ham fan vlog who is in the home end when sheaf gets his second, Palmer runs past and is waving at the crowd someone shouts a racial slur at him.
Also footage of coin being thrown at the end - need to manage this with evidence and deal with accordingly

alexccfc99

A lot of talk and very little action. Seems to love the sound of his own voice. Unsure the need for these constant interviews. Even making the racism incident about him as he did with the banners last week.
May well be wrong but I'd put good money on that you slagged Joy off for never doing an interview in about 10 years

I don't know what some of our fans want

alexccfc99

Disappointing to hear there were 26 seats broken in the HOME end v Leicester. It's that sort of behaviour that will have the SAG pushing for more segregation again.
Surely down to overcelebrating - as much as we have attracted some dickheads to our fanbase recently you would really hope no one is going round ripping our own seats out

SkyBlueSoul

Surely down to overcelebrating - as much as we have attracted some dickheads to our fanbase recently you would really hope no one is going round ripping our own seats out

Shouldn’t happen don’t think it’s malicious just over celebrating goals etc.
Yeah of course, I imagine we'd have already heard about it if they were ripped out and used as frisbees or whatever. 26 is still a lot though. Impossible to police, don't want to take the fun out of the corner (I assume that's where it happened) but also can't keep giving SAG/police an argument for reducing capacity.

shmmeee

Something about handing one person the power to forfeit a game feels off to me. Super unlikely but what’s to stop be going and being racist at a Leicester game to lose them the title. If it’s a crowd chanting or similar then yes 100% as the FA have failed to provide a safe working environment.

SkyBlueMatt

That would be my guess, 14-16 climbing on chairs. It's silly but I can't deny that I've done it. Safe standing would eliminate this too.

zuni

Something about handing one person the power to forfeit a game feels off to me. Super unlikely but what’s to stop be going and being racist at a Leicester game to lose them the title. If it’s a crowd chanting or similar then yes 100% as the FA have failed to provide a safe working environment.

talking to the wife and said the same thing, if a random cash ticket purchase what can stop them buying a seat to do that exact thing and be untraceable...buy it to try and create an issue for another team such as points or abandoning a game

bigfatronssba

As a season ticket holder you should be responsible for your own seat.

If you break it you should pay for it to be fixed or have to sit on a spike for the rest of the season

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

That would be my guess, 14-16 climbing on chairs. It's silly but I can't deny that I've done it. Safe standing would eliminate this too.

I can say that at the back of 17/18 5-6 chairs came away from the wall following the celebrations. The overcrowding on the back row is staggering, there’s 2-3 to a seat leading to fans standing on seats to see anything. This wasn’t intentional damage.

There’s one idiot who has a single season ticket on the back row and brings two friends up with him every week, despite them having tickets at the other end of the stadium and being told to fuck off.

If the club/stadium could stamp down on overcrowding, nobody would have a reason to stand on their seat.

alexccfc99

I can say that at the back of 17/18 5-6 chairs came away from the wall following the celebrations. The overcrowding on the back row is staggering, there’s 2-3 to a seat leading to fans standing on seats to see anything. This wasn’t intentional damage.

There’s one idiot who has a single season ticket on the back row and brings two friends up with him every week, despite them having tickets at the other end of the stadium and being told to fuck off.

If the club/stadium could stamp down on overcrowding, nobody would have a reason to stand on their seat.
I used to sit last seat on the end of the right hand side of block 16 till last season, not my scene anymore tbh - Realised it wasn't for me anymore when I saw someone tip an avalanche of coke onto their phone after we scored against Blues last season :ROFLMAO:

CCFCSteve

Yeah, this would always be the concern and why I’ve always thought it would be very hard to implement these type of penalties, however, I suppose there’s certain checks they could do on the individual(s) before issuing any deduction. If they’ve been a season ticket holder for 10 years probably safe to say theyre a fan of the club.

It could/should be on the table at least. From the posts it looks like Sheff Weds might’ve had a history of issues. Again that’s not to say it’s more than a minority but if fans know they’re on a warning for a points deduction I’d imagine there would be better self policing/stewarding of the crowd - we’d all hope that it wouldnt need something like this for fans to call others out but looks like it is for some clubs

shmmeee

The fear of arrest and/or public infamy? It’s an incredibly far-fetched scenario.

Its an extreme example. But the point is I feel punishing a club for just one fan isn’t proportionate. In this case where the fan has apparently had form the club should be fined and if it’s a wider issue then docked points/behind closed doors/etc.

And as I say if a player has been getting it consistently then I fully support the team walking off and forfeiture.

Just uncomfortable about cancelling the game if one person does something once then gets kicked out/leaves.

The line for me for punishing the entire club should be “have they failed to take reasonable steps to stop it happening?”

SkyBlueMatt

I didn't think it would be intentional, just people not thinking rationally.

Ever since I've been to football, the back rows have always been boisterous. Though I'm not sure I'd expect that in B18.

Tell them to come over to 15, more the merrier. It makes for a better atmosphere. There is usually people standing in my seats when I get up there. Never had an issue when telling them to make space or shift out, it's always friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread