Doug King Interview (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Hes basically very 'my way or the highway'

Hasnt endeared himself to many at Frasers hence only a 5 year deal. Have you not noticed the stadium deal is the same length as this prem package?

The ST prices he was told would go down like a cup of cold sick and still ploughed onwards

The ST hold up is apparently down to him also playing silly beggars with matchday prices

fatso

Didn't he allegedly bid 30 mill for the stadium?

Put that money into the transfer budget + Gyok and Hamer funds (Another 30 mill) and we'll be well away.

Of course he won't do that, but still
For the love of God man wake the fuck up.

Businessmen borrow the money and use the asset as collateral. Just because he wanted the stadium it doesn't mean he had the cash, any more than you or I buying a house.

You could borrow £30million tomorrow to buy the stadium if you had a sound business plan.
Except I doubt you'd convince the bank of much with your tenuous grasp of business.

fatso

Absolutely wrong

The "debt free" quote is a Financial Term that excludes all debts other than those related to working capital.

So no debt in this context means no interest
Correct, it's staggering how little some fans understand about business.

It's looking like Mr King is hoping for big business to come in to share some of the investment.

Sky Blue Harry H

It is a shame our 'new' fans from the past 2 months don't stay and enjoy the Championship and the long list of big clubs we will be playing every week.
They might - as long as some of them do, I'm happy. I know a few lads who now take there kids up with them now, that didn't until post pandemic.

Deity

Hes basically very 'my way or the highway'

Hasnt endeared himself to many at Frasers hence only a 5 year deal. Have you not noticed the stadium deal is the same length as this prem package?

The ST prices he was told would go down like a cup of cold sick and still ploughed onwards

The ST hold up is apparently down to him also playing silly beggars with matchday prices
Good.

The club needs shaking up …. Commercially we have been almost asleep ….

Sky Blue Harry H

Good.

The club needs shaking up …. Commercially we have been almost asleep ….
Agreed - stopping the p8sstaking adults getting in on JSB tickets etc needs to be done, otherwise it's losing the club shedloads of income. If they can sort out those sort of things and maximise other commercial revenues, it'll offset the need to hammer fans through ST/match day prices in the medium to long term.

Flying Fokker

I’ll give him time and support. but we’ll need to see where we’re at on August 31st.

he can’t say play offs 3 times out of next 5 years and give Robins 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps to improve the playing squad
I’d love that, the excitement of seeing us go to Wembley again. We need to get over the line ASAP.

clint van damme

Think some fans are in for a rude awakening and will be shocked as to how limited our spending power actually is - People seemed to be under the impression we’ve been taken over by an oligarch

It’s clear Doug has a strategy in place and Robins has brought into it, he’s committed the next 4 years to us so he must be on board - Whether people want to buy into it is their prerogative I guess

Not sure I've seen too many being unrealistic to be fair.
I expect an increase in budget, funded by an increase in ST sale, money from the play offs and player sales but I dont think it will be anything drastic.

Flying Fokker

Agreed - stopping the p8sstaking adults getting in on JSB tickets etc needs to be done, otherwise it's losing the club shedloads of income. If they can sort out those sort of things and maximise other commercial revenues, it'll offset the need to hammer fans through ST/match day prices in the medium to long term.
The stewards just need to check befor entry to the ground. Give people the option of upgrading, nothing heavy. As long as someone is in possession of a correct category, that is good enough.

Finham

he actually said play offs in 3 of the next 5 years, and if we do that then we would hope to push through the door in 1 of them
Yes I know, was just clarifying for someone if he had previously instead said "promotion".

Sky Blue Harry H

Give people the option of upgrading
Trouble is, nobody is going to want to go to the ticket office, 15 minutes before ko to upgrade their ticket, and the stewards certainly won't be able to do it. I agree, needn't be heavy handed about it, but by the same token, if word gets around that you can't get away with it, it'll go a long way to minimising the issue.

Flying Fokker

Trouble is, nobody is going to want to go to the ticket office, 15 minutes before ko to upgrade their ticket, and the stewards certainly won't be able to do it. I agree, needn't be heavy handed about it, but by the same token, if word gets around that you can't get away with it, it'll go a long way to minimising the issue.
It’s tough on them.. I suppose they could come earlier😀

Finham

I find it mad to believe there is just under 60,000 students go to Cov Uni and Warwick Uni - a lot of them international and the club hasn’t done much in trying to entice them in

There’s a massive market there to be tapped into
Well, we were building a stadium there so left it at that.

NorthernWisdom

I find it mad to believe there is just under 60,000 students go to Cov Uni and Warwick Uni - a lot of them international and the club hasn’t done much in trying to entice them in

There’s a massive market there to be tapped into
They sod off three years later though, so it's hardly long term. Plus they go in on a concession so won't gain you that much revenue. I'd say it's a lot of effort for not as much return as trying elsewhere.

David O'Day

They already have started doing this.

alexccfc99

They sod off three years later though, so it's hardly long term. Plus they go in on a concession so won't gain you that much revenue. I'd say it's a lot of effort for not as much return as trying elsewhere.
They sod off once a year and are replenished in the September

If they are from the UK who’s to say they wouldn’t regularly come back and if they’re from abroad who is to say they wouldn’t order merchandise to back home

I go to Uni in Leeds and all the foreign students are walking round in Leeds gear, shirts etc. and are always clambering for tickets

David O'Day

They sod off once a year and are replenished in the September

If they are from the UK who’s to say they wouldn’t regularly come back and if they’re from abroad who is to say they wouldn’t order merchandise to back home

I go to Uni in Leeds and all the foreign students are walking round in Leeds gear, shirts etc. and are always clambering for tickets
Let's see if that is the same now that Leeds are in the championship, I doubt it.

We have seen that a successful Coventry City can pull in large crowds from the local Coventry and Warwickshire population.

alexccfc99

Let's see if that is the same now that Leeds are in the championship, I doubt it.

We have seen that a successful Coventry City can pull in large crowds from the local Coventry and Warwickshire population.
Maybe but its not as uncommon as you think

My mate (a big city fan) went to Uni of Birmingham, lived with a lad from Devon who claimed he was an Arsenal ‘fan’ - took him a few games two seasons just gone, in the end he just brought a half season ticket for last season and guess what he’s gone and done now, brought one of the Premier League packages having completely fell in love with the club

NorthernWisdom

See above, not everyone has a club engrained into them
So you're pumping a lot of effort and resource into a group where many won't be interested anyway, many will already have a team, and those who might be interested don't have much disposable income, and won't be in a position to put money into the club for more than a couple of seasons at best, and then it'd be negligible. I'm really not sure effort v return pays off when there are other avenues you can target that either have a longer impact as you catch people and keep them, have demographics that spend more, and demographics that are in a position to spend more for longer.

The only way it works is if you can persuade one to get their evil dictator Dad to buy the club with his blood money.

alexccfc99

So you're pumping a lot of effort and resource into a group where many won't be interested anyway, many will already have a team, and those who might be interested don't have much disposable income, and won't be in a position to put money into the club for more than a couple of seasons at best, and then it'd be negligible. I'm really not sure effort v return pays off when there are other avenues you can target that either have a longer impact as you catch people and keep them, have demographics that spend more, and demographics that are in a position to spend more for longer.

The only way it works is if you can persuade one to get their evil dictator Dad to buy the club with his blood money.
So in that case - should we not bother targeting schools because a lot of kids parents have not bothered taking them in years and they all wear Man United and Liverpool shirts?

NorthernWisdom

So in that case - should we not bother targeting schools because a lot of kids parents have not bothered taking them in years and they all wear Man United and Liverpool shirts?
No, because they hook into the catching people at a time when you're more likely to have a longer impact category. Then when they sod off to uni they come back for games and look with disdain at their local club trying to hook them.

If I must hook up with a university I certainly wouldn't be putting any resource into it beyond turning up to a fresher's fair. I'd be letting them sponsor the club, get the message out that way, take advantage of their expertise in sports science etc... things that actually benefit the club and would have a secondary benefit of increasing awareness and interest,

nunchuckas

Even if they don't end up supporting the club, there's a constant conveyor belt of students, until we start selling out week in week out there's definitely a case for providing, say, 500 match packages to each uni for a concession fee and have students register an interest to go to x amount of games or have it used as a rewards for things. Stick them all in the same block so it can become something of a social event for all the students.

Could get the unis to do a bit of promoting in exchange for some free advertising, maybe. I think there's definitely legs for something with fairly minimal effort with 60k students here.

And even if only 5% go on to be Cov fans or part time Cov fans, that's still an easy win.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I hear Dougs already pissing a lot of people off behind the scenes

Could be a good thing 🤷

So that's why the Civil Servants are theratening to go on Strike. 🥴

Users who are viewing this thread