Do you want to discuss boring politics? (20 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Clearly worked out who’s gonna be driving the gravy train going forward.
And clearly feels sure that the government in waiting has politics he's comfortable with

The Labour leadership continue to say "fuck you" to me and anybody else with even a modicum of progressive belief

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

dutchman

"Keir Starmer and Rachel Reeves are ditching Labour’s flagship policy pledge to spend £28bn a year on green investment, party sources have said.

The sources said the party would keep the core mission of investing in green infrastructure, as well as already announced plans such as the creation of GB Energy, a publicly owned clean energy company, and a mass home insulation programme.

But it will in effect cut its green ambitions by about two-thirds, given that the previously announced schemes are set to cost just under £10bn a year by the end of the parliament.

The change, after a spate of recent government attacks portraying the £28bn figure as a likely tax rise, has been pushed for by key figures around Starmer including Morgan McSweeney, Labour’s director of campaigns, and Pat McFadden, the party’s campaigns coordinator."

shmmeee

It was probably the wrong term.

It's a depressing way to go about a campaign - now what can Labour do but what do I want it not to do or look like? Which of those points are they actually focusing on apart from "I worry they will borrow and spend too much"

It’s an effective way though. Point is we should all be aware of quite how fringe our own hobby horses are to an organisation trying to get votes. Rightly it not three times as many people care about over spending than Palestine. Which you wouldn’t grok from reading left wing commentary.

duffer

Worth a read of this if you’re wondering about Starmers priorities when trying to get elected, voter concerns about Labour:

View attachment 33875

I'm confused. What was the sample and where was it drawn from?

And secondly, what did it tell us that we don't already know, i.e. that Starmer doesn't have a single principle, pledge, or promise, that he won't abandon in search of a vote (or a tick in the box from a focus group).

The man's not a leader, he's a weather-vane - he blows with the wind.

Stand by for more austerity, more cruelty, more inequality, just with a thin veneer of competence and a red tie.

Grendel

And secondly, what did it tell us that we don't already know, i.e. that Starmer doesn't have a single principle, pledge, or promise, that he won't abandon in search of a vote (or a tick in the box from a focus group).

Stand by for more austerity, more cruelty, more inequality, just with a thin veneer of competence and a red tie.

He has - I suppose rather cleverly - has decided moderate conservatism is a way to secure a long term stay in government as essentially the middle class and successful working class voters are the key.

He can easily finish the Tory Party for good by offering an economic strategy that benefits those that matter

He is essentially a John Major style conservative and Reeves is his Lamont.

I don’t know why Shmmeee finds it funny as he is - as many now agree - a Major type Conservative who no longer cares about core Labour values

fernandopartridge

It’s an effective way though. Point is we should all be aware of quite how fringe our own hobby horses are to an organisation trying to get votes. Rightly it not three times as many people care about over spending than Palestine. Which you wouldn’t grok from reading left wing commentary.

It is currently effective. I'm not sure how such a lack of depth is going to serve his first term as people just see themselves getting poorer and services continuing to decline.

SkyBlueSoul

Always a chance it's been clipped to get more headlines but the PM having a £1000 charity bet with a broadcaster about whether he'll send any immigrants to Rwanda feels.....off

shmmeee

Always a chance it's been clipped to get more headlines but the PM having a £1000 charity bet with a broadcaster about whether he'll send any immigrants to Rwanda feels.....off

I think we should do this for every policy. Exam grades down? Gillian Keegan has to swim in a bath of beans. Trains late? Mark Harper has to personally refund all passengers.

Bit of accountability is what politics needs.

In all seriousness a multi millionaire making £1k charity bets as he presides over a cost of living crisis is very off.

fernandopartridge

I think we should do this for every policy. Exam grades down? Gillian Keegan has to swim in a bath of beans. Trains late? Mark Harper has to personally refund all passengers.

Bit of accountability is what politics needs.

In all seriousness a multi millionaire making £1k charity bets as he presides over a cost of living crisis is very off.

It begs the question as to why he's involved in politics

duffer

If it follows the usual forum process, then shortly following this doesn't one of them have to DM the other and offer them out for a fight... 😁

All joking aside, if true it feels wrong at any number of levels.

Brighton Sky Blue

He has - I suppose rather cleverly - has decided moderate conservatism is a way to secure a long term stay in government as essentially the middle class and successful working class voters are the key.

He can easily finish the Tory Party for good by offering an economic strategy that benefits those that matter

He is essentially a John Major style conservative and Reeves is his Lamont.

I don’t know why Shmmeee finds it funny as he is - as many now agree - a Major type Conservative who no longer cares about core Labour values
In which case what is the point of the party? We seem to have moved to a Republican/Democrat system of far right and centre right options

shmmeee

Laugh all you want but it seems to mean “doesn’t always agree with me”

A government promising spending and tax raises isn’t right wing by any stretch of the imagination. The same goes in the US BTW where Biden has been more progressive than most.

duffer

Apologies, shmmeee, not quite getting the humour mate. Unless I'm missing it, that does seem to be the truth about Starmer (and his 'vote for the Welfare Cap' sidekick, Reeves).

At least the Tories pretended to have an aim, remember "levelling up". It was bullshit, of course, but it got them some votes. What's Starmer's catchphrase,

"Vote for us, we're not (quite) Tories"?

"Vote for us, we might not make things worse"?

"Vote for us, more of the same, but less drama"?

"Vote for us and I'll tell you what we're going to do later"?

What an epic failure of ideas and leadership.

I'll let you dig it out because I'm supposed to be working, but there were also some quite telling percentages on how popular a lot of previous Labour policies were.

Ditched because Starmer is incapable of unwilling to say or promise anything of meaning. Welcome to a country where you can now vote centre-right or far right.

Brighton Sky Blue

Sounds pretty left wing to me. Right wing govt would remove all regulation on education and let it be a race to the bottom, no?

So you are just using it to mean “does stuff i disagree with”
How on Earth is undermining the right to strike a left wing idea? And education is a great example, academisation has turned it into a privately run but state funded enterprise where anyone can apply to set up a school.

shmmeee

How on Earth is undermining the right to strike a left wing idea? And education is a great example, academisation has turned it into a privately run but state funded enterprise where anyone can apply to set up a school.

Regulating individual actions with government legislation is the very definition of left wing.

I agree about academisation

fernandopartridge

Laugh all you want but it seems to mean “doesn’t always agree with me”

A government promising spending and tax raises isn’t right wing by any stretch of the imagination. The same goes in the US BTW where Biden has been more progressive than most.

Biden hasn't committed to some meaningless fiscal rule in order to look economically credible, because 14 years of a government supposedly wedded to the same rules has done everybody wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread