Do you want to discuss boring politics? (28 Viewers)

David O'Day

Think we fucked our chances of winning that war pretty early on and the appearance of a french fleet basically swung Yorktown for the yanks and brought the end. From what i remember from my uni days the Russians piled in on us at one point too.

Also the French and Spanish sniffing around the sugar islands in the West Indies as well help the Americans

clint van damme

Not sure if anyone has seen this, but I thought this article was quite interesting on how the Afghan army essentially dissolved.

How this stuff was ignored when factored into the withdrawal plans is shocking.

It's quite incredible.
Similar ro Iraq where Blair and Bush were warned of the Sunni/Shia schism that would develop post Saddam and totally ignored it.

It's the political equvilant of Saturday when we went into a game of football without a nominated penalty taker. Absolute amateur hour.

skybluetony176

I see Desmond Swayne and John Redwood are talking absolute bollocks in Parliament again. Redwood being corrected by Teresa May of all people.

derbyskyblue

Sorry to change tack completely , but i see sunak is after the triple lock pension.
Didnt this do for Theresa May (apart from brexit ) ? Quite a dangerous move sunak could be making here....for him and us.

CCFCSteve

Sorry to change tack completely , but i see sunak is after the triple lock pension.
Didnt this do for Theresa May (apart from brexit ) ? Quite a dangerous move sunak could be making here....for him and us.

Think it makes sense as a one off tweak. Wage growth is currently 7-8% due to Covid. Difficult to ask everyone to tighten belts and then increase pensions by that amount. It’s an anomaly year.

As well as Brexit, think it was the social care proposal that did for May (an issue still to come for the government !)...and just a generally shit manifesto and campaign, which lost her majority

skybluetony176

Think it makes sense as a one off tweak. Wage growth is currently 7-8% due to Covid. Difficult to ask everyone to tighten belts and then increase pensions by that amount. It’s an anomaly year.

As well as Brexit, think it was the social care proposal that did for May (an issue still to come for the government !)...and just a generally shit manifesto and campaign, which lost her majority
We already have one of the worst pensions in Europe, even this “anomaly” year wouldn’t change that. It’s a cop out to “level up”. Barely a month since he made that speech. Clearly just more Boris bluster.

fernandopartridge

Nobody has to tighten their belts to afford better pensions, get in the real world about where the money comes from Steve.

CCFCSteve

Nobody has to tighten their belts to afford better pensions, get in the real world about where the money comes from Steve.

We’re potentially on the way towards recession at some point in the coming months, might not feel like that at the moment due to covid bounce back/gov support, but it’s a distinct possibility. Even if not there will be decisions people won’t like.

If you put up personal taxes, it’s likely to suppress spending at a time many industries like hospitality, are desperate for it. CT is already going back up. Other company taxes when companies are just about holding on ?

If there’s £6-8bn free I’d personally put it towards social care, maintaining temp UC or replenish some of the foreign aid budget (using it solely for vaccinations in developing world). An increase in pensions above inflation obviously helps the poorest pensioners but also puts hundreds of millions /billions in pockets of people who don’t necessarily need it.

Ps I know we’ve got differing views on continually printing more cash.

Reactions: Dog

CCFCSteve

We already have one of the worst pensions in Europe, even this “anomaly” year wouldn’t change that. It’s a cop out to “level up”. Barely a month since he made that speech. Clearly just more Boris bluster.

What I’m saying, if it’s a government decision to level up pensions with other countries that’s one thing, if it’s caused by a total unforeseen anomaly it’s another.

Any decision to change the triple lock will hurt the Tories, as that’s more their voting base, they wont do it lightly.

Ian1779

What I’m saying, if it’s a government decision to level up pensions with other countries that’s one thing, if it’s caused by a total unforeseen anomaly it’s another.

Any decision to change the triple lock will hurt the Tories, as that’s more their voting base, they wont do it lightly.
That won’t happen though will it, they will have a compliant media to rely on that will tell the story of it being the fault of wokies/young/welfare claimants/foreigners etc… and it won’t impact them at all.

skybluetony176

What I’m saying is that the government has the golden opportunity to level up as per Boris’ keynotes levelling up speech and they’re choosing not to. Why should anyone believe anything else in that speech?

skybluetony176

That won’t happen though will it, they will have a compliant media to rely on that will tell the story of it being the fault of wokies/young/welfare claimants/foreigners etc… and it won’t impact them at all.
We seen it yesterday in the commons. Parliament recalled to discuss the Afghanistan crisis and Desmond Swayne and John Redwood took the crisis as an opportunity to stoke the culture war they want. Two of the front pages this morning lead with John Redwoods attack. Pleased to say that The Mail was critical at least although it has targeted specifically Raab who presumably is going to fall on his sword so Boris doesn’t.

skybluetony176

Changed the clock deliberately placed in the background but not his wrist watch. Good old honest Boris. Can’t even level up his timepieces when setting up a fake photo opportunity.

wingy

Changed the clock deliberately placed in the background but not his wrist watch. Good old honest Boris. Can’t even level up his timepieces when setting up a fake photo opportunity.

Unless he uses that old trick of advancing his timepiece so as to never be late .
Lol

Sharp eye's though.

dutchman

If the Tories use the pandemic as an excuse to not raise pensions this year then next year they'll find a different excuse and so on the year after that.

You can always find a reason why something should be raised or not raised if you look hard enough.

Dog

A: Happy to be a (beautiful) Freak.
B: Kids as young as four are still human beings and should be listened to. I'm sure you'd agree. If you don't agree with listening to children, please expand.
C: I wish I was an actual tampon. I could use myself for five days a month and save a load of money.
Kids as young as 4?

Ask any 4 year old about themselves. All they will know is their name and if they are a boy or a girl. Yet some want us to believe that they know much more. And now some want us to believe it should all be done without the knowledge of their parents?

It has gone so far now that even those in the gay community can't even agree on titles given. I challenge anyone to name half of the titles given to those who don't comply to 'normality'. It was over 50 at the last count. Yet children are now supposed to understand all of this and decide who and what they want to be.

Let children be children. And the occasional one that knows they are trapped in the wrong body given all the help they need.

I am knocking on in years now. I have had two families to bring up. The older children were confident. The younger children have struggled with self identification because they have been told to question everything. I have a daughter who has just started uni. She was taught to think she is gay if she had feelings for another girl. This is normal for a girl growing up. I am very close to her and always have been. She is closer to me than her own mother. She has told me she will make sure any children that she eventually has will not be swung by popular demand like she was herself. So I get my own thoughts from personal experience and not from those who shout the loudest.

And yes I do have several gay friends. I used to go clubbing in gay nightclubs. Rockshots in Newcastle was my favourite. All they wanted was equality. Had a heart to heart with one of them recently. His thoughts are that it has become a competition to be the most different to others in the gay community. He doesn't even know what titles are to be given these days. And he says worse of all are those who are 'straight' thinking they know best or just want to make a name for themselves making statements that even the gay community don't agree with. And most people are too scared to talk about as they know someone is always ready to be overly upset about anything and everything.

Grendel

Kids as young as 4?

Ask any 4 year old about themselves. All they will know is their name and if they are a boy or a girl. Yet some want us to believe that they know much more. And now some want us to believe it should all be done without the knowledge of their parents?

It has gone so far now that even those in the gay community can't even agree on titles given. I challenge anyone to name half of the titles given to those who don't comply to 'normality'. It was over 50 at the last count. Yet children are now supposed to understand all of this and decide who and what they want to be.

Let children be children. And the occasional one that knows they are trapped in the wrong body given all the help they need.

I am knocking on in years now. I have had two families to bring up. The older children were confident. The younger children have struggled with self identification because they have been told to question everything. I have a daughter who has just started uni. She was taught to think she is gay if she had feelings for another girl. This is normal for a girl growing up. I am very close to her and always have been. She is closer to me than her own mother. She has told me she will make sure any children that she eventually has will not be swung by popular demand like she was herself. So I get my own thoughts from personal experience and not from those who shout the loudest.

And yes I do have several gay friends. I used to go clubbing in gay nightclubs. Rockshots in Newcastle was my favourite. All they wanted was equality. Had a heart to heart with one of them recently. His thoughts are that it has become a competition to be the most different to others in the gay community. He doesn't even know what titles are to be given these days. And he says worse of all are those who are 'straight' thinking they know best or just want to make a name for themselves making statements that even the gay community don't agree with. And most people are too scared to talk about as they know someone is always ready to be overly upset about anything and everything.

how very astute of you

Grendel

Let’s be honest David Schneider was far more likely to be tied up than Mr Raab if that phone call happened

Users who are viewing this thread