Do you want to discuss boring politics? (11 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

In an ideal world I'd agree, but we already cant build houses fast enough to deal with population. I know anyone suggesting capping immigration is labelled a racist on here, but surely limiting at least until we can house everyone would be a long way towards solving the issue.
The issue of private landlords collecting more housing that they don’t need is the elephant in the room.

SBT

In an ideal world I'd agree, but we already cant build houses fast enough to deal with population. I know anyone suggesting capping immigration is labelled a racist on here, but surely limiting at least until we can house everyone would be a long way towards solving the issue.
Would it? The housing that would be freed up by keeping migrants out (which comes with its own costs) is not going to be automatically desirable to native Brits.

clint van damme

If capping immigration solved that issue it will cause others, e.g would only make the pensioner to working age person ratio worse and affect social care for the elderly which relies heavily on immigration.
I think we need a good look at how we do things and in all probability that would probably mean ripping up what we've been doing for decades and trying something new.

I don't think that's realistic in a single parliamentary term so would require some sort of cross party consensus and some grown up thinking rather than all this silly culture war bollocks we're getting instead.

fernandopartridge

1711453223859.png #

The population growth rate isn't very high, the volume of houses completed especially private ones is lower than it has been historically.

1711453317120.png

fernandopartridge

Probably fair to say that today's figure of net additional dwellings is better than it was under the first two terms of the last Labour government, no wonder there was a house price boom.

1711453697534.png

skybluetony176

The problem with capping immigration is you cap growth. The sensible thing would be for the government to invest in social housing thus reducing dependency on private landlords freeing up private housing stock to go back to home ownership.

fernandopartridge

Good article, this is why this pandering to the idea that Labour spends all the money should be blown to the moon imo. Governments must spend money.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Really interesting policy idea. Struggling to see anything wrong with it, enforcing TV or radio broadcasting is like herding cats. This would make it far more efficient.

shmmeee

shmmeee

How does it work? Why again are Labour discussing Tory talking points?

What talking points? The drum beat to kill the licence fee as it is has been getting louder for some time and frankly I imagine there’s just going to be more people like me who watch everything via streaming networks (aside from radio which I vakuenhighly but don’t need a licence for). This way the BBC gets funding along the same model as always and the whole “we took this granny to court for not paying her licence” stuff goes away making it far less susceptible to tabloid campaigns.

fernandopartridge

What talking points? The drum beat to kill the licence fee as it is has been getting louder for some time and frankly I imagine there’s just going to be more people like me who watch everything via streaming networks (aside from radio which I vakuenhighly but don’t need a licence for). This way the BBC gets funding along the same model as always and the whole “we took this granny to court for not paying her licence” stuff goes away making it far less susceptible to tabloid campaigns.

How does it work?

Sick Boy

Really interesting policy idea. Struggling to see anything wrong with it, enforcing TV or radio broadcasting is like herding cats. This would make it far more efficient.

It’s similar in Italy where it’s automatically paid as part of the electricity bill.

shmmeee

The next year is going to be literally nothing but:

Journalist: “Mr Starmer, will you promise more money for X?”

Starmer: “I can’t promise more money for anything”

Journalist: “Starmer says no money for X”

Isn’t it?

Not sure if better or worse than the alternate timeline:

Journalist: “Will you promise more money for X?”

Starmer: “Yes”

Journalist: “Labour promises crazy Corbynite spending spree”

Would be so nice is we had a serious media in this country.

fernandopartridge

The next year is going to be literally nothing but:

Journalist: “Mr Starmer, will you promise more money for X?”

Starmer: “I can’t promise more money for anything”

Journalist: “Starmer says no money for X”

Isn’t it?

Not sure if better or worse than the alternate timeline:

Journalist: “Will you promise more money for X?”

Starmer: “Yes”

Journalist: “Labour promises crazy Corbynite spending spree”

Would be so nice is we had a serious media in this country.
I agree with you but I'd just reframe their question back to them in relation to it not being about funding as such but about providing a level of service the public expects.

shmmeee

I agree with you but I'd just reframe their question back to them in relation to it not being about funding as such but about providing a level of service the public expects.

Every election year this happens. Everything is reduced to “how would you pay for it?” And there’s no room for a “well actually” answer cos it’s election time and everything has to be three words long and in bright colours so the normies understand.

As a left wing leader you either say “I’m doing this” and face constant cries that you’re going to max out the credit card. Or you don’t and you’re told you’ll do nothing. On the right you just need to go “I’ll be a c**t to this group of people you don’t like” and it’s a free pass.

Frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread