Do you want to discuss boring politics? (17 Viewers)

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
Bad news if you’re not in the top 30% of earners and want to marry a foreigner

Shambles….unsurprisingly looks like ill thought out, rushed, reactionary policy that might well do more harm than good.

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
I do. Scientific progress has happened under all kinds of economic systems, even communism. Unless we think the wheel was VC backed.

Im not saying it wouldn’t happen at all but no chance at the same pace/level. Happy to be proved wrong with any examples of the fast growing, innovative communist countries…genuine question.

Even China which is ahead of a lot of western countries on tech nicked most of its intellectual property from the states and some from here/Europe (only now has the West woken up to it). Its basically embraced capitalism in a way which suits its government

Ps problem we’ve had in the West in recent times is unfettered/uncontrolled capitalism which is only increasingly working for the few. Push back is coming

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Im not saying it wouldn’t happen at all but no chance at the same pace/level. Happy to be proved wrong with any examples of the fast growing, innovative communist countries…genuine question.

Even China which is ahead of a lot of western countries on tech nicked most of its intellectual property from the states and some from here/Europe (only now has the West woken up to it). Its basically embraced capitalism in a way which suits its government

Ps problem we’ve had in the West in recent times is unfettered/uncontrolled capitalism will only increasingly work for the few

Did we see a big productivity increase post 1980s reforms here and in the US? Not really. When we are inventing things like the car or the toilet we see significant gains but not so much with Disney+ and iPhones. Capitalism hasn’t slowed down the last 40 years but arguable relevant technological progress for the average man has. Capitalism now is an attention economy. And that’s the issue, it’s not concerned with anything but profit.

Communist Russia did OK at the start of the last century.

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
Did we see a big productivity increase post 1980s reforms here and in the US? Not really. When we are inventing things like the car or the toilet we see significant gains but not so much with Disney+ and iPhones. Capitalism hasn’t slowed down the last 40 years but arguable relevant technological progress for the average man has. Capitalism now is an attention economy. And that’s the issue, it’s not concerned with anything but profit.

As I say, its difficult to defend some of the stuff that happens under ‘capitalisms’ name these days.

Whether we like and/or agree with how technological progress is utilised or harnessed is up for debate but there’s no debate to be had as to what system drove most of it

clint van damme

May 3, 2015
So the Rwanda plan looks more and more like a pointless red meat for the frothers gimmick the more the details come out. What we’ve learned today against a backdrop of a backlog of over 100K claims for asylum is that there’s capacity for 100 claimants in total in Rwanda and we’re bringing vulnerable asylum seekers already in Rwanda (presumably from other parts of Africa) to the UK under the terms of the latest agreement which Sunak refused to put a number on at PMQ’s. If the failed asylum seekers we send there commit a crime while in Rwanda, Rwanda are sending them back to the UK immediately where we’ll have to deal with them again. Chris Phipps suggesting on the TV rounds this morning we’ll then attempt to send them back to their own country which begs the question why didn’t we try that in the first place. Presumably the answer is we can’t.

Also worth pointing out that we’ve spanked £140 million on this to date. Imagine if we’d just put that money into dealing with the backlog helping empty hotels and filling the labour shortage with the successful claimants. The lengths this government will go to for the amusement of gammons.

We have managed to send one useless freeloader over there this week, but perhaps I shouldn't talk about the home secretary like that

wingy

Jul 9, 2011

Ps problem we’ve had in the West in recent times is unfettered/uncontrolled capitalism which is only increasingly working for the few. Push back is coming
It's not capitalism I don't think it's possible to say anymore, another word?

Hertsccfc

Apr 29, 2018
So the Rwanda plan looks more and more like a pointless red meat for the frothers gimmick the more the details come out. What we’ve learned today against a backdrop of a backlog of over 100K claims for asylum is that there’s capacity for 100 claimants in total in Rwanda and we’re bringing vulnerable asylum seekers already in Rwanda (presumably from other parts of Africa) to the UK under the terms of the latest agreement which Sunak refused to put a number on at PMQ’s. If the failed asylum seekers we send there commit a crime while in Rwanda, Rwanda are sending them back to the UK immediately where we’ll have to deal with them again. Chris Phipps suggesting on the TV rounds this morning we’ll then attempt to send them back to their own country which begs the question why didn’t we try that in the first place. Presumably the answer is we can’t.

Also worth pointing out that we’ve spanked £140 million on this to date. Imagine if we’d just put that money into dealing with the backlog helping empty hotels and filling the labour shortage with the successful claimants. The lengths this government will go to for the amusement of gammons.
Inexplicably I can't seem to find the Taxpayers Alliance's report on this.

I think the £140 million is just what we have given to Rwanda. Of course the real cost must be much greater, especially the legal costs, not to mention all the Government, official and Parliamentary time and resources.

I think this is the biggest indicator of just how far we have lurched to the right in recent years. 'Sending them all back to Africa' was of course the principle policy of the National Front in the 70s and 80s, and was viewed as extreme at that time. Yet no condemnation of it on principle from Labour, they just focus on the Tories failure to tackle 'the problem of immigration'. Depressing times.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013
Inexplicably I can't seem to find the Taxpayers Alliance's report on this.

I think the £140 million is just what we have given to Rwanda. Of course the real cost must be much greater, especially the legal costs, not to mention all the Government, official and Parliamentary time and resources.

I think this is the biggest indicator of just how far we have lurched to the right in recent years. 'Sending them all back to Africa' was of course the principle policy of the National Front in the 70s and 80s, and was viewed as extreme at that time. Yet no condemnation of it on principle from Labour, they just focus on the Tories failure to tackle 'the problem of immigration'. Depressing times.
IIRC the £140M is just for the properties and 5 years of maintenance. The properties were supposed to be affordable housing for Rwandans but we’ve essentially stole them, although no doubt we’ve paid over the odds for them. Even if they get a property each we’ve apparently brought 100 properties based on that being the maximum amount of individuals they’re taking in a developing African country where the average wage is £161 per month we’ve brought affordable homes with 5 years maintenance at over a million pounds each. Don’t add up.

PVA

Apr 22, 2011
Imagine coming up with a policy where you have to insert 'notwithstanding UK and international law' in the key summary

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
Imagine coming up with a policy where you have to insert 'notwithstanding UK and international law' in the key summary

Not enough for some in the party still by all accounts

Said before Sunak should’ve called all the nutters out day one and removed the whip if necessary. All too late now and we’re left with a government scrambling together dodgy policy on the hoof which pleases nobody

wingy

Jul 9, 2011
Oh I don't know I can see an electoral process in enough dissaray that it's scrapped on some pretext of emergency!

Hertsccfc

Apr 29, 2018

It's not just a policy it's a law to say that something that isn't true is true. It really is incompatible with being a democracy let alone international law.

• Love
Reactions: Sky Blue Pete

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
Call me cynical but, timing is sus. Look at winter figures. I’m saying well see the usual Jan drop cos of weather, he’ll claim a success and call an election.

View attachment 32687

There’s always been rumour that an election would be called before numbers increased over late spring/summer when they’re likely to spike again. Just don’t see economic conditions being great for an election but Sunak might not have a choice if the nutters rebel and/or policy gets stuck in lords (which could be used as justification to go to the country). The bizarre thing is I think ‘boat numbers’ have reduced this year in particular economic migrants from Albania (significant reduction/increased returns this year and last) but nobody appreciates this as the nutters are focussed on Rwanda rather than singing their own praises in the press 🤷‍♂️

Also comedy that Bravermann is still kicking up a stink when ‘legal’ numbers were out of control on her watch. Politics is a strange old game

Last edited:
Reactions: nicksar

wingy

Jul 9, 2011
There’s always been rumour that an election would be called before numbers increased over late spring/summer when they’re likely to spike again. Just don’t see economic conditions being great for an election but Sunak might not have a choice if the nutters rebel and/or policy gets stuck in lords (which could be used as justification to go to the country). The bizarre thing is I think ‘boat numbers’ have reduced this year in particular economic migrants from Albania (significant reduction/increased returns this year and last) but nobody appreciates this as the nutters are focussed on Rwanda rather than singing their own praises in the press 🤷‍♂️

Also comedy that Bravermann is still kicking up a stink when ‘legal’ numbers were out of control on her watch. Politics is a strange old game
It won't matter I don't think?

rob9872

Mar 21, 2011
Call me cynical but, timing is sus. Look at winter figures. I’m saying well see the usual Jan drop cos of weather, he’ll claim a success and call an election.

View attachment 32687
Tbf anyone brave enough to row the seas in a dinghy in January, should be allowed a free pass and a trial to make the GB Olympic squad.

Reactions: shmmeee

Hertsccfc

Apr 29, 2018

The reality is that stopping the boats would not feed people who can't afford food or heat their houses or indeed reduce homelessness. It also won't speed up proples' operations or ability to see a doctor or reduce the interest they pay on their mortgage. It's an attempt at distraction from the Government's failures over the last 13 years but I think it's irrelevant now.

Reactions: nicksar and wingy

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
It's not just a policy it's a law to say that something that isn't true is true. It really is incompatible with being a democracy let alone international law.

We’ve had loads of laws that do that.

Saw something interesting. YouGov salience of immigration as n issue for voters.

As a whole immigration has been dropping as a concern since 2016, to way below where it was. But it’s come up again. However only for Tory voters. Labour voters it’s still low, Tory voters it’s gone up to 2015 levels.

I do wonder if all the focus on it from Tories doesn’t do them more harm than good. I’ve seen someone say Sunaks big issue is he keeps focusing voters on things he can’t fix, possibly due to backbench pressure.

Reactions: CCFCSteve

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
The reality is that stopping the boats would not feed people who can't afford food or heat their houses or indeed reduce homelessness. It also won't speed up proples' operations or ability to see a doctor or reduce the interest they pay on their mortgage. It's an attempt at distraction from the Government's failures over the last 13 years but I think it's irrelevant now.

It’s the idea they all get benefits that gets me. I’ve seen quite a lot of actual hard right racist stuff on Twitter recently (Thanks Elmo), and it’s literally TikTok’s of a non white person with a council house and a bunch of racists going “See!! Illegals getting British people’s houses!!”

It would be good if there was a PR campaign about what exactly you get. Afaik benefits for immigrants are significantly below brits and for illegals it’s literally nothing.

wingy

Jul 9, 2011
Irrelevant,they only purpose of the boats is a distraction,penny finally dropped for me around two weeks ago to mask the fact that we've imported 750k officially.

Reactions: CCFCSteve

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013

This is where Sunak really has issues. He already has a big majority, in the unlikely event he wins even with a big majority nothing changes for him. He still has a lunatic fringe, his party is still a battleground and he won’t last a year as leader. The clamber for a headline to throw the nutters way has severely backfired and put the Tories in a position where the only possible outcome is they tear themselves apart.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread