Do we even miss Hamer? (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We don’t miss him as our league position shows. But he would still get in our team. As for him being 2x the player Sheaf is that’s just fantasy. He would also improve our set piece.
I’d argue that with a central midfielder of Hamer’s calibre we’d have done better in the first 1/3 of the season when we were being overrun in midfield with no creative output.

with regards to Sheaf - as above Hamer’s creative output was miles better than Sheaf. The fact they were so good together was because they complimented each other. Sheaf’s defensive work allowed Hamer’s attacking output. We also miss Hamer’s box to box qualities where he’d regularly break up play when tracking back

I love sheaf, but he’s confined to the defensive aspect…. Granted he’s just scored 2 goals but that’s an anomaly rather than the norm

Saddlebrains

Seen vik mentioned and There was a big difference between the 2 in leaving

Vik was frustrated summer 22 as we rebuffed a bid from Leeds. Hence leading to the training ground bust up with Godden and the Norwich away lineup as has been done to death on here

Vik and Robins spoke, with Robins telling him show us all how good you are and lead our charge, and if you want to go then, you can go

Leeds then came back in in January. This time Vik was the one who said No, and had a gentlemans agreement with Robins that if we dont go up in the summer, he will leave and to a team of his choice.

Vik was upfront and honest every step

Hamer however I'm led to believe was quite vociferous in pre season about how his son being in Holland and his break up etc was why he wouldnt sign a contract and wanted to wait until Jan to see if things had changed/improved

This was thought of as fair enough, and only when he made it clear via his agent that Sheff Utd had offered him the best part of 50k a week did them 'issues' seem to dissipate and we were told basically accept this or its for free next summer

Viktor is held within the ranks in a lot higher esteem from what i understand

David O'Day

No, not really.

Hamer in for Eccles means Sheaf sits more and then he doesn't get to be the brilliant midfield general he currently.

TomRad85

Vik was frustrated summer 22 as we rebuffed a bid from Leeds. Hence leading to the training ground bust up with Godden and the Norwich away lineup as has been done to death on here

Vik and Robins spoke, with Robins telling him show us all how good you are and lead our charge, and if you want to go then, you can go

Leeds then came back in in January. This time Vik was the one who said No, and had a gentlemans agreement with Robins that if we dont go up in the summer, he will leave and to a team of his choice.

Hamer however I'm led to believe was quite vociferous in pre season about how his son being in Holland and his break up etc was why he wouldnt sign a contract and wanted to wait until Jan to see if things had changed/improved

This was thought of as fair enough, and only when he made it clear via his agent that Sheff Utd had offered him the best part of 50k a week did them 'issues' seem to dissipate and we were told basically accept this or its for free next summer

Vik>>>>>>Gus

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Grendel

You were saying that we don’t miss Hamer becuase of our league position - then surely you’ve got to apply the same to Gyokeres.

Hamer would 100% improve our side - and you’d have to be blinkered to think otherwise

Hamer had only 4 goals in the first 30 games last season - it’s unlikely we’d be able to play the formation we have with him - couldn’t see o hare in a 3 with him.

Gyokeres would fit into this system

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Why are you talking nonsense and working off guess work ?
It’s not guess work is it? You said we don’t miss Hamer because we’re unbeaten in 10 and 6th in the league.

At a massive cost , in reality he is not that good - be careful not to do a disservice to our current squad either ... 10 games unbeaten

Of course not and he went , I don't know what he is on but for sure he is back in the championship next season - there is no loyalty. Why are people asking for an ex player when after 10 unbeaten games we have all we need

Do you think that we would be unbeaten less with Hamer ...................

Still waiting why ............... we are 10 unbeaten i am not the person looking silly ...

So applying your quotes - you’d apply the same to Gyokeres as “you’d be doing a disservice to our current squad”

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Hamer had only 4 goals in the first 30 games last season - it’s unlikely we’d be able to play the formation we have with him - couldn’t see o hare in a 3 with him.

Hamer would fit in next to sheaf, he’d be a much better fit than Eccles or Allen.

I mentioned before aswell, he’d have added more to us in the start of the season. The games against Leicester and Wimbledon drastically turned when he left the pitch

BackRoomRummermill

Hamer would fit in next to sheaf, he’d be a much better fit than Eccles or Allen.

I mentioned before aswell, he’d have added more to us in the start of the season. The games against Leicester and Wimbledon drastically turned when he left the pitch
He has gone now - get over it - we have developing team - today he gave away a penalty at home, we don’t need him , we are top of the Championship form table or at least joint top . The thread title says do we miss Hamer and I say no !

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He has gone now - get over it - we have developing team - today he gave away a penalty at home, we don’t need him , we are top of the Championship form table or at least joint top . The thread title says do we miss Hamer and I say no !
And as I stated before - we’d have done a lot better in the first 15 or so games with him, we’d be pushing the autos. Now we’re currently locked out the top 4 effectively because we’re unlikely to make up the 11-15 points to catch them up

BackRoomRummermill

It’s not guess work is it? You said we don’t miss Hamer because we’re unbeaten in 10 and 6th in the league.

So applying your quotes - you’d apply the same to Gyokeres as “you’d be doing a disservice to our current squad”

And as I stated before - we’d have done a lot better in the first 15 or so games with him, we’d be pushing the autos. Now we’re currently locked out the top 4 effectively because we’re unlikely to make up the 11-15 points to catch them up
That is on so many levels complete guesswork …

covcity4life

Playing this formation gives 1 of our central midfielders more freedom .. look how far forward sheafs getting in general
Whilst Eccles generally sits in .

Torp sounds to me to be the one who will be pulling the strings centrally in the final 3rd with a good shot on him too and an eye for a pass
He likes to dribble I read so yeah I expect him in final third a lot and sounds like he likes a long range shot too.

alexccfc99

I get he’s playing in for me one of the worst premier league sides of all time but thought Gus was fucking dross today

BackRoomRummermill

Did you watch us at all last season? I believe the answer is there.

Even this season, Hamer played v Leicester and Wimbledon. Both games he went off after 60-odd minutes and we dropped off soon after.
Again the post says do we miss Hamer … we are on a 10 game run so based on that fact I say No ! We don’t miss Hamer !

Brighton Sky Blue

Again the post says do we miss Hamer … we are on a 10 game run so based on that fact I say No ! We don’t miss Hamer !
He would improve most teams in this league, but the money we got for him is making us a more well rounded squad.

He is of course also becoming more well rounded in a different sense.

TomRad85

He would improve most teams in this league, but the money we got for him is making us a more well rounded squad.

He is of course also becoming more well rounded in a different sense.
Definitely in danger of being mistaken for the ball and being hammered into the top corner soon.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think that is how most of us saw it as well, Hamer should have just been straight up after the Luton match that he wanted to move on and we could have sold him to the highest bidder. Instead we were basically strong armed into accepting an offer from Sheffield Utd

Brighton Sky Blue

Definitely in danger of being mistaken for the ball and being hammered into the top corner soon.

I can’t blame him. The German Doner Kebab in Sheffield that we went to after the game was brilliant. And the city has two of them so he can always hide from Wilder in one while his manager searches the other.

GaryJones

I would have Hamer back tomorrow!
In fact if we can get over the line this season and get to the Premier League I would consider buying him back.
For almost every game this season he has been Sheff Utds stand out performer.

TomRad85

I can’t blame him. The German Doner Kebab in Sheffield that we went to after the game was brilliant. And the city has two of them so he can always hide from Wilder in one while his manager searches the other.
Thought he still lived in Leam with you. Probably bump into him if your going for a kebab at Halikarnas.

Mucca Mad Boys

I’m sure Robins would disagree with that.

Signing Victor Torp shows we’re looking for different attributes to Eccles and Sheaf in the first place.

The bottom line is this: Hamer is a better player than Sheaf, Eccles and even COH.

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s not said that. He’s said he’s his own man, as in don’t judge him against Hamer.
Statistically, there are similarities in the way they approach the game.

MR is a shrewd man manager, he’s not going to say Torp is Hamer 2.0 because there will be all sorts of expectations piled on him.

itsabuzzard

Did you watch us at all last season? I believe the answer is there.

Even this season, Hamer played v Leicester and Wimbledon. Both games he went off after 60-odd minutes and we dropped off soon after.
But we've got a very different team now. The answer to the question is no.

Users who are viewing this thread