Desktop PC (2 Viewers)

Sick Boy

I'm looking to buy a (very) decent desktop; it wouldn't need to be used for gaming or anything but would be used more or less daily for work purposes, so would need decent specs because it's not just general browsing/email and would need a lot of storage space.
Would it be possible to get something good enough for around €1,500? Any recommendations would be great.
Cheers

Sick Boy

Do you need a monitor etc too?
No, just the actual computer, I already have 3 monitors that I use and printer etc.
I have been using a MacBook Pro but finding that it's not really coping too well with heavy daily use and not convinced spending €2-4,000 on the latest MBP is worth it.
Cheers

Nick

Administrator
What sort of thing will you be doing on it for the heavy use? Just figuring if it needs high GFX.

Sick Boy

What sort of thing will you be doing on it for the heavy use? Just figuring if it needs high GFX.
I do a lot of stuff with Excel and Google Sheets - Google Sheets can be pulling in API data for around 20,000 cells, for example. On my current MPB, this is a big problem. I don't do any kind of graphics work.

duffer

For that kind of money I think you'd get a very high spec desktop.

In fact I reckon you could half that, and still get something entirely functional, with maybe a 1Tb hard disk for storage plus a smaller, faster, SSD to run the operating system.

It's been a while since I bought a desktop, I should add, so worth checking, but that's certainly my initial take on it...

Sick Boy

For that kind of money I think you'd get a very high spec desktop.

In fact I reckon you could half that, and still get something entirely functional, with maybe a 1Tb hard disk for storage plus a smaller, faster, SSD to run the operating system.

It's been a while since I bought a desktop, I should add, so worth checking, but that's certainly my initial take on it...
Thanks - I’d be happy to spend what I put earlier if it meant it would last 5 years without problems and needing anything upgraded.

I used to be pretty clued up on computers but not so much these days. So worth pointing out that they tend to cost more in Italy, unfortunately.

Nick

Administrator
What are the places that sell them in Italy? I know here there's eBuyer etc but don't know much about over there.

Amazon for example have some great refurbs sometimes.

Sick Boy

What are the places that sell them in Italy? I know here there's eBuyer etc but don't know much about over there.

Amazon for example have some great refurbs sometimes.
There are places that I guess would be the equivalent of Currys - they seem to be more gaming PCs though. I got my last MBP from the UK but unfortunately, since the Brexit deal was introduced, there's something like a 40% charge added on top just to receive the items, so buying from the UK is no longer an option, which is annoying.
I am going to have a look later on and might post up a couple of links at some point later this week.

Philosorapter

Last edited:

Philosorapter

Might be worth investing in something like this as well to go with the above. Connect your terminals up like a TV or other computers in home etc Much faster.

Use the cloud when you are out and about, like work etc

Start of your own server here.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Might be worth investing in something like this as well to go with the above. Connect your terminals up like a TV or other computers in home etc Much faster.

Use the cloud when you are out and about, like work etc

Start of your own server here.

Erm that's an expansion module for a kvm. Absolutely no need for that in your house and it wouldn't do anything without the kvm anyway.

Philosorapter

Erm that's an expansion module for a kvm. Absolutely no need for that in your house and it wouldn't do anything without the kvm anyway.

Yep, need some switching device if you want to have wired access at home to a cloud. Depends on usage.

Philosorapter

What?

If you want access to a "cloud" you just need a basic network switch if you want it to be wired.

Depends on how many devices are attached to it and the data going through it. Could be a bottleneck.

Philosorapter

It is cheaper than getting a new PC. Holds everything in one place, away from the PC. No need for a new PC.

Philosorapter

Just reckon the transfer of data instead of onto a computer hard drive but onto a shared wired drive could be a problem with usage. Hence, a bigger switch.

Nick

Administrator
Please don't give any advice. Politely, it's absolute nonsense and somebody could end up spending money on stuff they don't need and wouldn't be able to use.

pipkin73

Look for someone who builds/repairs them.
Mine crashed so i went to a guy who has a great reputation out here.
He could not repair mine as i needed it done straight away for work, so he replaced the motherboard and the parts that were not compatible. He then discounted the parts he had from mine from the price of the new parts.

The computer is now flying and it only cost me 200€ all in.

Also with the new parts, it has cut my electricity bill by 30-40€ per month.

This way you will pay less and have it built for what you need it for.

pipkin73

Should have also said, i do graphic design/printing for a living so the computer had to have a good graphics card and CPU/RAM speed to process it all.

Fysnkysc

I'm looking to buy a (very) decent desktop; it wouldn't need to be used for gaming or anything but would be used more or less daily for work purposes, so would need decent specs because it's not just general browsing/email and would need a lot of storage space.
Would it be possible to get something good enough for around €1,500? Any recommendations would be great.
Cheers
Bit late, but any ryzen cpu and a cheap gpu like a 980 or something will be enough for you, if you're not gaming.

Fysnkysc

Cheers, will do. I used to take them apart and put them back together when I was a child but out of touch with them these days, so will PM you soon.
They haven't changed, cBle goes her cable goes there. This clicks in here this clicks in there boom you have a fully working pc. (OK there's a few screws and maybe thermal paste if you don't have a cooler with one).

Sick Boy

They haven't changed, cBle goes her cable goes there. This clicks in here this clicks in there boom you have a fully working pc. (OK there's a few screws and maybe thermal paste if you don't have a cooler with one).
I’m talking 30 years ago working on 286s and 386s but I guess they can’t have changed too much - I managed to blow up a power supply though at one point 😂 I’d actually thought about having a go at building one so may look into it.

shmmeee

I’m talking 30 years ago working on 286s and 386s but I guess they can’t have changed too much - I managed to blow up a power supply though at one point 😂 I’d actually thought about having a go at building one so may look into it.

Its way easier than it used to be, last time I had a go it was all colour coded and only went in one slot.

shmmeee

Will tag this on here. Daughter is talking about a “keyboard and mouse computer” again and I’m very keen to move her off iPads and onto proper computers. Was thinking about building one but haven’t been keeping up with PC stuff for years as I’ve been Mac only work and home.

I want a funky case an 8 year old would like, some funky accessories, then enough capacity to upgrade if she moves beyond Roblox and Fortnite for gaming or wants to get into video editing or similar. For now though it doesn’t need to do much more than browsing, very light programming, and very light gaming (think low settings Roblox and Fortnite not Far Cry 6)

I’m fine other than picking a motherboard CPU and GPU, but haven’t been following to know what combination of those is best and gives me enough headroom for upgrades.

Fysnkysc

Will tag this on here. Daughter is talking about a “keyboard and mouse computer” again and I’m very keen to move her off iPads and onto proper computers. Was thinking about building one but haven’t been keeping up with PC stuff for years as I’ve been Mac only work and home.

I want a funky case an 8 year old would like, some funky accessories, then enough capacity to upgrade if she moves beyond Roblox and Fortnite for gaming or wants to get into video editing or similar. For now though it doesn’t need to do much more than browsing, very light programming, and very light gaming (think low settings Roblox and Fortnite not Far Cry 6)

I’m fine other than picking a motherboard CPU and GPU, but haven’t been following to know what combination of those is best and gives me enough headroom for upgrades.
Don't need much power tbh. Can get a ryzen 3600, and a 1660ti and then what ever motherboard is compatible. Can probably get them for £300 ish.

Users who are viewing this thread