Dean Austin (1 Viewer)

Martin180

It can’t have meant that, he’s only been used as a sub or replacement for Palmer. 3 games in 7 days will probably mean he has to start in place of Allen for one of next week’s matches.

We needed more in central midfield even without Hamer leaving.
And we were trying according to reports . While I wish we had signed another midfielder I'm glad we just didn't sign another Maguire and that we can hold out for the right player

Gint11

The clear issue has been the gap between Kelly & Eccles and the top 2. Having Allen back has clearly bridged it albeit one game. So prior to Allen, we’ve needed Palmer to do that or Ayari. Palmer is too hot or cold and Ayari is young. A fully fit Sheaf, Allen and COH will sort that out while we try and find the next Hamer.

covcity4life

I dunno, my hope was that £35 million in transfer funds would mean the squad would be rebuilt to withstand an injury to Ben Sheaf!
It is withstanding it?

Were 5pts off playoffs and could easily be sitting here even closer.

Mucca Mad Boys

He was put through at Lesta if memory serves
One chance. I heard a gentleman say couple of times yesterday that ‘Gyokeres would’ve absolutely buried that’.

Firstly, Gyokeres is clearly better than Simms and Wright. Secondly, Gyokeres had his fair share of missed chances.

Not only have we lost Gyokeres, it’s Hamer too and no doubt that Robins knows the midfield is his weak point by a distance.

Mucca Mad Boys

I dunno, my hope was that £35 million in transfer funds would mean the squad would be rebuilt to withstand an injury to Ben Sheaf!
Overall, I think our squad is a stronger, Wright and Simms will come good and our defence is a lot better off - where we’re going to lose an influential player in McFadz in the relative short term.

1-2 midfielders and the return of COH and our squad is looking very good again.

Martin180

Overall, I think our squad is a stronger, Wright and Simms will come good and our defence is a lot better off - where we’re going to lose an influential player in McFadz in the relative short term.

Will be interesting to see if we are still after Brekale(sp) in January as he could be Fadz long term replacement

Martin180

I think we’ll keep tabs, but Binks’ form begs the question of whether or not we try to sign him permanently or not.
Binks has been fantastic so far but I haven't seen any of our defenders who could do the Fadz role so far . Lati potentially could but his size would be a worry , has Kitching been signed to play in that role or is he just a LCB ?

shmmeee

One chance. I heard a gentleman say couple of times yesterday that ‘Gyokeres would’ve absolutely buried that’.

Firstly, Gyokeres is clearly better than Simms and Wright. Secondly, Gyokeres had his fair share of missed chances.

Not only have we lost Gyokeres, it’s Hamer too and no doubt that Robins knows the midfield is his weak point by a distance.

What Vik are people remembering? The one I remember frequently missed sitters and one on ones.

Grendel

You can’t see say Wright will come good it’s no different to saying he definitely won’t

Mucca Mad Boys

You can’t see say Wright will come good it’s no different to saying he definitely won’t
You’re right. Personally, I like some of the attributes he has to offer to have faith he’ll come good.

I feel like we’ll get the most out of him when we’re direct and play the ball into space for him to run on to the ball. Which we’re missing because Kelly and Eccles don’t really have that range.

It’ll take time to adapt to Championship football and the style Robins wants the new signings to play and vice versa, how the team plays to their strengths.

Mucca Mad Boys

Binks has been fantastic so far but I haven't seen any of our defenders who could do the Fadz role so far . Lati potentially could but his size would be a worry , has Kitching been signed to play in that role or is he just a LCB ?
I think both Kitching and Binks can play centrally and as Thomas and Kitching like to overlap, you’d think that’d be option if McFadz gets injured/suspended.

Matt smith

I think both Kitching and Binks can play centrally and as Thomas and Kitching like to overlap, you’d think that’d be option if McFadz gets injured/suspended.
Binks is very good I like him.

Jamie Allen superb, that’s why he starts every day of the week over an Ayari or a Palmer

Mucca Mad Boys

Binks is very good I like him.

Jamie Allen superb, that’s why he starts every day of the week over an Ayari or a Palmer
I think Allen and Sheaf will be the two CMs with Palmer at AM at full strength. Eccles is still developing and is a decent player but strikes me as more of a depth player.

ccfc1234

We should definitely prioritise signing Binks, you’ve got to admire him going off to Canada and Italy at such a young age to play football.
I know hindsight is easy but we had Binks before we spent 4m on Kitching we had Simms before we spent nearly 8m on Wright. Had that 12m been spent on one top perm and one top loan signing in the midfield where would we be!

Agree Binks looks a decent player and Kitching will struggle to take his place. One thing i don't like with our defender's is their desire to play 60 yard balls, they seem to have a completion rate of less than 2%

shmmeee

I think Allen and Sheaf will be the two CMs with Palmer at AM at full strength. Eccles is still developing and is a decent player but strikes me as more of a depth player.

I don’t think Allen works in a two. He needs more freedom. Either a three or the box for me.

fernandopartridge

Not sure we'll see the return of the box, he seems pretty insistent on playing two up top.

Indeed, and he'll rightly argue that we're scoring goals and we've just spent big money on not one but two strikers. 1.67 per match to date compared with 1.22 last season.

Allen can't sit though and his great strength is running in between the lines and beyond the forwards, he'll play ahead of Palmer if both fit imo.

Hertsccfc

Eccles has been a virtual ever present in the team for nearly a year now, even when we had Hamer. I think it's fair to say Robins sees something in him that a lot on here don't.

Mucca Mad Boys

Eccles has been a virtual ever present in the team for nearly a year now, even when we had Hamer. I think it's fair to say Robins sees something in him that a lot on here don't.

Would he start ahead of Sheaf and Hamer
? No.

I think he’s a solid player, but doesn’t strike me as someone who’s going to kick on take us to the next level. He’s durable and vegetative which is invaluable so he’s an asset.

It’s easier for the likes of Kelly, Eccles and even Sheaf (to a lesser extent) to look better when playing alongside Hamer. Attacking wise, we’ve struggled to create chances so far and defensively we’ve lost control in midfield around the 60-70 midfield mark. Our problem area right now is undoubtedly central midfield and it’ll be on MR’s agenda to improve that area.

Matt smith

COH starts over Palmer mate, whether you haven’t said you’d start him because you feel he’ll take a while that’s fair

but he’s way better than Palmer if we can get him right again

Mucca Mad Boys

COH starts over Palmer mate, whether you haven’t said you’d start him because you feel he’ll take a while that’s fair

but he’s way better than Palmer if we can get him right again
I think it will be a while and until he’s back and playing consistently, we can’t really count egg before it’s hatched. As we found with Jones, I’m convinced he’d have prospered had he not done his second ligament at P’boro at home in L1.

Astute

Gyokeres was better when he left us than Simms is now. But when he first joined us he wasn't. Many wondered why we wasted 1m on his signing after his loan spell with us.

Both Simms and Wright will improve with gametime and coaching. The only question is how much they improve.

Mucca Mad Boys

Only as others were injured
COH is obviously the first choice if he recovers from his ACL and his pre-injury form. He won’t even be in contention for at least a month and he’ll be eased in from then. Even then, it’s not a given he’ll be the same.

As of now, he’s not in consideration so it’s moot.

Grendel

COH is obviously the first choice if he recovers from his ACL and his pre-injury form. He won’t even be in contention for at least a month and he’ll be eased in from then. Even then, it’s not a given he’ll be the same.

As of now, he’s not in consideration so it’s moot.

Well Allen will play there - Robins likes Eccles so cannot see him out and O Hare will be ready before Palmer probably anyway - he is out for 2 months

Hertsccfc

Well Allen will play there - Robins likes Eccles so cannot see him out and O Hare will be ready before Palmer probably anyway - he is out for 2 months
I am not sure O'Hare will be back that early certainly as a consistent starter.

Users who are viewing this thread