Dallas / America in General (1 Viewer)

PTA

10.5 firearm deaths per 100K of the population in the US, 2.0 in Canada, 0.2 in the UK.
This shows America's mental health problem is the main issue as apposed to the guns themselves. All mass shootings have been perpetrated by mentally ill citizens. I doubt said citizens would be able to aquire guns in Canada due to proper background checks (which do not occur in the US).

chiefdave

Tell you what though, the execution of the bloke on the floor defies belief
Have you seen the Castile video? That's unbelievable as well. Pulled over for a broken tail light. He told the police he had a gun and he was licensed to carry. Was asked for his ID and was shot four times in the drivers seat reaching for his license.

Members of the public shooting people is bad enough but why are people who are supposed to be trained using lethal force with little or no provocation so frequently?

SkyblueBazza

America is fucked.
Everyone has a gun so everyone is jumpy.

They want guns but don't like what happens with them .
One of the black dudes that got shot was shot by a chinese officer.
Right there the racist call falls flat on it's face.
Are you suggesting that this 'Chinese' Policeman is not racist? Do you know him?
Every, race, creed, colour is equally capable of being discriminating in any manner and number of different scenarios whilst otherwise being a model of civility.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SkyblueBazza

Feel a bit sorry for Obama on this subject. He's tried and tried to bring in gun reform and they chuck it out every time. If their Presidents can get shot and they still don't tighten gun laws then there is no chance of change.
He may worry that the Police will shoot HIM if he makes too strong a case too!

Gazolba

As mentioned in previous posts, it's pretty pointless discussing this issue unless you live or have lived in the USA. The news you get over here does not give enough perspective into the issue. It would be like trying to understand the ins and outs of Brexit by reading the headlines in a US newspaper.

ccfc92

Terrible situation, the freedom to carry arms seems to me to be a freedom too far. The USA needs to get a grip on its domestic arms race

I doubt this calmed nerves or tensions either

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...otester-went-from-most-wanted-to-innocent-man
........ but why do you need to carry a gun to a peaceful demonstration?????????

I'm just back from NYC, and saw Fox news when all this was happening.

The guy was interviewed the following day, and it was all normal stuff, until he was asked this very question and his response was : "It's my right as an American, second amendment etc"

ccfc92

As mentioned in previous posts, it's pretty pointless discussing this issue unless you live or have lived in the USA. The news you get over here does not give enough perspective into the issue. It would be like trying to understand the ins and outs of Brexit by reading the headlines in a US newspaper.

Americans were going on about that loads when I was there after Brexit and saying how bad it is, crazy etc.

I said to them it's like USA, Mexico and Canada in a union, then Mexico dictating to the USA, they changed their tune and were like:

giphy.gif

ccfc92

No matter how much evidence is present to show that America's gun laws are the issue or trying to get people to look at the statistics compared to other wealthy developed countries they still cling to the 2nd amendment like something written about arms in 1791 has anything to do with 2016.

American's bang on about the 2nd amendment but then act like some sort of world police with the authority to tell other countries they have no right to be armed!

Wasn't this ammendment to protect themselves and towns from attacks initially? When the US was finding its feet?

ccfc92

Yeah fuck that mate your right very messed up , they live in a movie kind of world ,Americans are like characters and very fat as well, which in fact wouldn't go down well if some mad c**t was trying to take pot shots

This is spot on IMO, like the guy says about the US army further down this thread, I think they genuinely believe they are in a movie.

I love America, and the people are generally really friendly, but they can be so cringey at times with their beliefs and movie mentality.

chiefdave

Wasn't this ammendment to protect themselves and towns from attacks initially? When the US was finding its feet?
Exactly, nothing like the situation now. Plus the weapons at the time were single shot and had to be fired at close range, and will still often miss or misfire.

armybike

To deter a tyrannical government, prevent slave revolts and repel invasion - unfortunately the twitchy paranoia has moved from muskets to high power assault rifles!

Captain Dart

To deter a tyrannical government, prevent slave revolts and repel invasion - unfortunately the twitchy paranoia has moved from muskets to high power assault rifles!

Or a multi billion dollar industry which the politicians can't reproach or reign in.

SkyblueBazza

That's a fair point...but extend it - what impressions do we get of various aspects of life about being in China/Russia/Iran/N.Korea/Saudi Arabia (I use these as examples since they're usually portrayed as the baddies).

If we imagine a culture the same as our own suddenly being introduced to their regimes then it appears a horrifying prospect. However, given the alternative to what they know & have accepted (look at Lybia/Iraq)...and what they have now - who is right or wrong? Which method of rule is best? Surely it varies according to 'civility' & culture & many other factors including religious beliefs & local values.
The biggest problem imo is historically & presently various countries, including our own, driving a hard bargain & provoking & deeply influencing some of these 'developing nations' to the point where we are now reaping the consequences.
'Foreigners' have their own values & beliefs that we neither fully understand nor have previously & currently show sufficient respect to/for.

Gazolba

This is spot on IMO, like the guy says about the US army further down this thread, I think they genuinely believe they are in a movie.

I love America, and the people are generally really friendly, but they can be so cringey at times with their beliefs and movie mentality.

325 million people living in the USA in an area fifty times bigger than Great Britain. That puts into perspective how ridiculous generalisations like your post are.

ccfc92

325 million people living in the USA in an area fifty times bigger than Great Britain. That puts into perspective how ridiculous generalisations like your post are.

Does it?

Is it just me who has posted "generalisations", as you put it, on this thread?

Captain Dart

Thought this was interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread