Dallas / America in General (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Absolutely shocking.

I watched a documentary about the police and black people and there is no doubt there is some dodgy stuff going on. One video showed a man answer his door who had mental issues, they said hands on your head and he didn't do it about 4 times and they just started shooting him on his doorstep with no actual danger to them.

Now people start sniping at police in return but end up shooting innocent black people?

Absolutely stupid, the police should come down hard and send any copper down / death penalty who randomly kills somebody, regardless of race. I can understand they might feel threatened, but some of the things are shocking that go on.

1 guy had driving ban or something, he was running from a copper so the copper shot him. A bystander filmed the copper then alter the scene so it looks like he had pulled a gun.

Covstu

it is bizarre, isn't there 4 explosives out there in the city at the moment also??

Nick

Administrator
Last I read they had searched and said there wasn't.

They can't keep sweeping any police death under the carpet, regardless of race. Just give every policeman a go-pro.

Fair enough if a man is trying to kill you, shoot him but not just for no reason.

Liquid Gold

You think our society is split at the moment the polarisation in america is frightening and they have assault rifles!

Pipehitterz

America is fucked.
Everyone has a gun so everyone is jumpy.

They want guns but don't like what happens with them .
One of the black dudes that got shot was shot by a chinese officer.
Right there the racist call falls flat on it's face.

Nick

Administrator
You think our society is split at the moment the polarisation in america is frightening and they have assault rifles!

Yep, on that documentary there were people walking down the street with huge assault rifles you would see on call of duty for protection from the police. Another guy had his kids in the car and a gun with him all of the time.

Nick

Administrator
America is fucked.

Yep, it doesn't help that any man and his dog could pull a gun.

Liquid Gold

They really need to get a handle on their police though, by all accounts they have been like this for years but its only with the proliferation of smart phones that people actually see it take place. Respect in the police can only happen if they obey the laws that they enforce.

eastwoodsdustman

I can't comprehend how people can walk alongside someone in the street carrying an assault rifle and not be worried by it. They are a bit messed up there to say the least.

ajsccfc

This was tweeted by the Dallas police dept. Scary for a number reasons - the law allows anyone to walk around in public like that, but also that he's a completely innocent man and on the videos of the shootings he was clearly seen not taking part, and actually volunteered his weapon and himself to police and was quickly downgraded to 'person of interest'. Despite this the tweet remains, people know who he is and he's receiving death threats by the minute.

RegTheDonk

Just give every policeman a go-pro.
I agree and make it a disciplinary offense if they don't use it.
I know its obviously not gun related, but West Mids are rolling out body cameras to all their cops. Very sensible, will help protect them AND us in the long run.

clint van damme

America is fucked.

Right there the racist call falls flat on it's face

you cannot be serious?!

skybluedan

I can't comprehend how people can walk alongside someone in the street carrying an assault rifle and not be worried by it. They are a bit messed up there to say the least.

Yeah fuck that mate your right very messed up , they live in a movie kind of world ,Americans are like characters and very fat as well, which in fact wouldn't go down well if some mad c**t was trying to take pot shots

Nick

Administrator
This is legal to own and walk down the street with:

article-2254469-16AD985D000005DC-392_634x588.jpg

B-Ban-Boogie

I wrote out a big rant about guns here in America but it'll make no difference

I never thought i would write this, but this country is on the brink of civil war .... everyone is fucking nuts!!

Edit : Just gonna add this ..

This is how easy it is to get a concealed weapons permit in Florida....

About 5 years ago, me and wife went to a 'concealed weapons permit' class and there were about 10 people in the class.. Young, old, male, female, black, white..

It was just after a gunshow and the instructor brings out a huge BAG of bullets that he had taken out of guns that morning off people who had forgotten to take them out of the guns they were bringing to sell??????
He stated that the incompetence of some people scared him so he was pleased there was such a variety of ages at the class..
We sat there... in a warehouse type place, where the gunshow was held... (it was more like a convention center building really) and the instructor spent 35 minutes asking us questions on guns laws (which hardly anyone got right) then he gets out a handgun (pistol) and a revolver (the one where you can spin the barrel if anyone doesn't know). He then hands them around and you feel the weight etc and he then explains how to hold it...
You kinda feel a little uneasy with a gun surrounded by all these people to be honest.

After another 20 minutes of the guns being passed around, you then all go outside of the building and then one by one, you go back in.
The instructor gives you some ear muffs, a .22 pistol and you have to shoot the gun, one time, at a target about 40 feet away .....

You get a certificate to say you had completed the class.. you send that away, with finger prints and a picture and if your not in the system you can carry a gun...!!!
THAT'S IT...!!
(And no... i didn't go through with sending my certificate off)

Edit 2 : there was some weird spacing issues there when i posted that.. ?

Last edited:

chiefdave

No matter how much evidence is present to show that America's gun laws are the issue or trying to get people to look at the statistics compared to other wealthy developed countries they still cling to the 2nd amendment like something written about arms in 1791 has anything to do with 2016.

American's bang on about the 2nd amendment but then act like some sort of world police with the authority to tell other countries they have no right to be armed!

Marty

America is too far gone with this, if they weren't willing to change their mindsets after Sandy Hook then nothing will change it.

chiefdave

America is too far gone with this, if they weren't willing to change their mindsets after Sandy Hook then nothing will change it.
Exactly, doesn't seem to matter what happens, they will not change their mind.

Look at the changes here after Dumblane or in Australia after Port Arthur and the impact they have had yet the US response to anything similar is to say more people should carry guns!

JohnWH

I am English because I was born in England, to British parents and I still have UK citizenship instead of US. However, I grew up here in America for the last 32 years. It is incredibly easy to over-generalize about attitudes, laws, common practices, etc. when something is happening in "another country." Not trying to get a dig on anyone, but wanting to provide some additional perspective.

For those that arent familiar, America's 50 states independently determine their own fire arms laws and requirements. Often, may municipalities set their own standards, too. In regards to who can legally own a gun, if/what, may be carried in public, and even if such a firearm may be concealed or not, and if a permit for such would be required. For example, it is inaccurate to characterize that everywhere in America you would see roaming grouos of paramilitary militia carrying assault rifles (***side note, the so callled Assault rifles are typically legally modified regular rifles that dont meet the congressional definitions of automatic rifles. I'm not so well versed on the distinctions, apologies in advance).

To say the very least, the laws around the country vary wildly. I live in Atlanta, Georgia (the "South", an area that is much more conservative/Republican than the rest of the country, and on the whole more defensive about the concept of guns rights through interpretation of the US Constitution 2nd amendment. As our worthy colleague from Florida pointed out, the gun shows are very real, and joke gun safety classes do not inspire a lot of confidence in that someone who wants to own a gun can do so responsibly.

To be frank, No, I do not have such an affinity for such a blind defense of guns rights. Theres a protest on the News right now in Atlanta over the very real concern of police officers being heavy handed and/or shooting first without good cause.

More police departments around the country are requiring some form of body camera, dependent on their budget/resources available. Ideally, everyone should be interested in the actual truth instead of word v word and cameras can do that. This would confirm so called "justified shootings" but also confirm instances of police assault, etc.

I'm still trying to get the info about what happened in Dallas. But, there is tremendous tension in general about support vs. Criticism of police officers in a general sense. Many (majority White) will blanket support police actions, simply because they are police with the assumption that their judgment is good. Conversely, those that raise real concerns and criticisms of police actions have those concerns through the lens of racial discrimination. In much sense, this issue is a continuation of how America has struggled to reconcile and overcome its own long legacy of racial strife.

People are angry, no matter which side of the issue they may be on.

On the whole, and without writing too much or getting too off track, trying to understand the "American situation" in regards to guns/police is incredibly complicated unless one actually lives here. That is only to say - no need to over generalize ALL of America based on limited source material. Not everyone likes guns or wants gun, yet there is a large political base that does making any movement forward extremely difficult to achieve.

Sorry for rambling, I try to get some good thoughts out of my head. I'm happy to address specific questions to the best of my ability, and always happy to retract any incorrect information if brought to my attention.

JohnWH

Uodate: they have a News special report happening right now trying to provide coverage and info. Shooter was a prior Army veteran, and who apparently said he was "upset" at White people and white police officers.

I'm witholding my commentary at this time, hoepfully more info can be discovered in the following days.

ajsccfc

Saw about him, only 25 and no previous record of trouble at all. Was it just the one guy in the end? At one point they suspected a few snipers.

JohnWH

Presidents statement:

""""All Americans should be deeply troubled by the fatal shootings of Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Philando Castile in Falcon Heights, Minnesota. We've seen such tragedies far too many times, and our hearts go out to the families and communities who've suffered such a painful loss.

Although I am constrained in commenting on the particular facts of these cases, I am encouraged that the U.S. Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation in Baton Rouge, and I have full confidence in their professionalism and their ability to conduct a thoughtful, thorough, and fair inquiry.

But regardless of the outcome of such investigations, what's clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents. They are symptomatic of the broader challenges within our criminal justice system, the racial disparities that appear across the system year after year, and the resulting lack of trust that exists between law enforcement and too many of the communities they serve.

To admit we've got a serious problem in no way contradicts our respect and appreciation for the vast majority of police officers who put their lives on the line to protect us every single day. It is to say that, as a nation, we can and must do better to institute the best practices that reduce the appearance or reality of racial bias in law enforcement.

That's why, two years ago, I set up a Task Force on 21st Century Policing that convened police officers, community leaders, and activists. Together, they came up with detailed recommendations on how to improve community policing. So even as officials continue to look into this week's tragic shootings, we also need communities to address the underlying fissures that lead to these incidents, and to implement those ideas that can make a difference. That's how we'll keep our communities safe. And that's how we can start restoring confidence that all people in this great nation are equal before the law.

In the meantime, all Americans should recognize the anger, frustration, and grief that so many Americans are feeling -- feelings that are being expressed in peaceful protests and vigils. Michelle and I share those feelings. Rather than fall into a predictable pattern of division and political posturing, let's reflect on what we can do better. Let's come together as a nation, and keep faith with one another, in order to ensure a future where all of our children know that their lives matter."""

CCFC Germany

There are arguements pro and contra gun laws. But as long as nearly everbody is entitled to carry a gun, people will get shot. Full stop. Every statistics in ages has proven this.
I find the thought very scary too, that you might get shot by a police officer, also following all his orders. But as long as they have to be prepared that every lunatic around might be tooled up, they will be very hast on the trigger.

clint van damme

There are arguements pro and contra gun laws. But as long as nearly everbody is entitled to carry a gun, people will get shot. Full stop. Every statistics in ages has proven this.
I find the thought very scary too, that you might get shot by a police officer, also following all his orders. But as long as they have to be prepared that every lunatic around might be tooled up, they will be very hast on the trigger.

Is there not some statistic though about Canada who have a similar level of gun ownership but no where near the level of shootings, I may be wrong but I thought I'd heard it somewhere.

chiefdave

Is there not some statistic though about Canada who have a similar level of gun ownership but no where near the level of shootings, I may be wrong but I thought I'd heard it somewhere.
10.5 firearm deaths per 100K of the population in the US, 2.0 in Canada, 0.2 in the UK.

Macca

America is fucked.

Why? because it wasn't a white bloke? because it doesn't feed the white guilt addiction? There is as much bigotry and racism amongst non white races towards each other as there is from the stereotype white v minority racism.
Then again thats not a convenient truth. Investigate the non too tolerant relationships between Hispanics and Blacks in the US

Pipehitterz

Why? because it wasn't a white bloke? because it doesn't feed the white guilt addiction? There is as much bigotry and racism amongst non white races towards each other as there is from the stereotype white v minority racism.
Then again thats not a convenient truth. Investigate the non too tolerant relationships between Hispanics and Blacks in the US

That's the point I was making. All hate all in america
I lived in london in the 90's and it was the same there too
As is birmingham just up the road

The problem obviously is the cowboy wannabes , my friend in the army states all USA soldiers as cowboys that just want to play cowboys and Indians.

I don't think this incident will change the USA one bit.

This case tho is 100% racist attack, the shooters even said so before getting killed
The sad fact now tho is this guy will become some kind of black power, and that's probably just started some other kind of problem for the USA, like a black profit or similar

Users who are viewing this thread