Coventry United Ladies... (1 Viewer)

duffer

I always thought that the guy who took them over was a dreamer with nothing substantial behind him.

It's a kick in the teeth for the people who followed the side at the BPA, but perhaps inevitable that the club couldn't survive in its current form.

Is there a gap now for a CCFC women's team to reform?

Personally I wouldn't want the club to throw big money at it, but with a minimal level of support in terms of kit and facilities, you'd think there might be scope for some moderate success as an amateur/semi-pro side.

The girls game has traction in the city now, you'd have to think some of them would fancy representing the club as adults, even if just for the pride of wearing the shirt.

duffer

That's the thing - where realistically would they play?

Would be interesting to see what happens to them going forward.

The BPA is the obvious place if there's moderate crowd interest. If we're talking handfuls at first then any half decent pitch would do, maybe the Higgs or the University. It doesn't have to be a Saturday 3pm fixture so there are a number of options.

Robinshio

so Doug wants additional revenues it could be used to get people in earlier - so when the pitch is in good condition, put the games on at say 12 - 1.45 on match days (if risk of pitch cutting up then put them on at the Higgs)

Some may turn up at half time, but then in the ground for maybe 4 hours, will increase the food and drink sales etc- I think the cost of running the team could be matched by additional revenues
Extra tickets following the 2 ladies teams (opposition families will want to see their team at the CBS) and then additional food and drink sales + sponsorship etc

ccfctommy

Is the Higgs just a pitch? I've never really been there.

I'll imagine you would need some kind of small stadium set up.

Nick

Administrator
so Doug wants additional revenues it could be used to get people in earlier - so when the pitch is in good condition, put the games on at say 12 - 1.45 on match days (if risk of pitch cutting up then put them on at the Higgs)

Some may turn up at half time, but then in the ground for maybe 4 hours, will increase the food and drink sales etc- I think the cost of running the team could be matched by additional revenues
Extra tickets following the 2 ladies teams (opposition families will want to see their team at the CBS) and then additional food and drink sales + sponsorship etc
It would cost much more than it would make.

duffer

Is the Higgs just a pitch? I've never really been there.

I'll imagine you would need some kind of small stadium set up.

It really depends how big a crowd doesn't it. The BPA obviously holds plenty enough for the level we're talking about, and Cov United have just given up their slot...

duffer

It would cost much more than it would make.

Yep, that's the thing. Start with a small amateur team at the lower levels that just needs minimal financial support. Maybe some help towards kit and mini-bus hire for away games.

Occasional coaching and physio input from the people already at the club perhaps.

If there's sufficient support from the paying public, move to semi-pro perhaps, but the key is to keep it sustainable and largely self-funding. The club lends it name and expertise rather than tons of money.

Forget the delusions of grandeur and the dreamers, build it steadily and people will play and watch for the glory of the name, I suspect. But of course, I could be talking rubbish! 😁

duffer

There already is a Coventry City ladies. So hopefully they can fill that gap in the market.

Women's football is becoming ever increasingly popular.

Didn't know they were still going as an adult team mate. They should jump in now that CUFC have gone, imho...

Nick

Administrator
We already have a smaller women's team though. Why aren't they selling out every week?

Robinshio

We already have a smaller women's team though. Why aren't they selling out every week?
branding / marketing / association - you wont sell out no, but linking it to ccfc, marketing to families, making it part of the experience and family etc / same kit - items in the club shop
if we are seen as a club for all and not just separate entities - we need to think like a premier league club and not a league 2 club

duffer

There already is a Coventry City ladies. So hopefully they can fill that gap in the market.

Women's football is becoming ever increasingly popular.

Indeed there is. Might as well forget everything I've written. Be good if they could step up a level or two and start playing in Coventry instead of Kenilworth perhaps.

Skybluesince82

Well this is ironic. Coventry United, set up as CCFC moved out of the city. The CULFC ‘took’ the honours CCFC Ladies had won and claimed them as their own, because some of the people were the same. Now they are jumping ship and going to Rugby, doing exactly what CUFC was established on the back of. The whole Coventry United project was always going to implode. Whilst CCFC are back, the chancers that tried to cash in on the misery at the time are doing exactly what they protested against. Very similar to Wasps arguing that they need full stadium revenues to survive - and look how that worked out. Shame

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well this is ironic. Coventry United, set up as CCFC moved out of the city. The CULFC ‘took’ the honours CCFC Ladies had won and claimed them as their own, because some of the people were the same. Now they are jumping ship and going to Rugby, doing exactly what CUFC was established on the back of. The whole Coventry United project was always going to implode. Whilst CCFC are back, the chancers that tried to cash in on the misery at the time are doing exactly what they protested against. Very similar to Wasps arguing that they need full stadium revenues to survive - and look how that worked out. Shame
From my understanding wasn't it that CCFC stopped providing any funding and Coventry United said they would step in. It's more like changing sponsor really. That ultimately hasn't worked out after the club and needed higher investment to be competitive at that level than Coventry United could provide.

With the current CCFC women's team, I hope the club do try and help them grow organically, mentioning their fixtures at games or in the programme or on the website as well as offering a bit of support with training/fitness or whatever.

chiefdave

The more you look into it the weirder it is. One of the reasons given is they could never succeed in Coventry as its a one club city, weren't saying that when they decided to rebrand

Not gone down well with their supporters on social media, they're shuffling to justify it at all. The best they've come up with so far is that the ticketing system at the Butts is designed for rugby, not entirely sure what difference that makes

"if there is a kind of feeling of ‘we’re taking away the club from Coventry’, my point would be, we didn’t really see those people on match days", unbelievable that's part of their statement on their website. How unprofessional do they want to appear, not to mention a big fuck you to anyone who was thinking of travelling to keep watching them

All very odd, there's even a Wasps style plan for state of the art new facilities. Always a good idea after you've nearly gone bust and been relegated

This was mentioned before but it would be good if the club could provide more support for Coventry City Women, even simple things like supplying kit and mentioning them on the website and social channels

Skybluesince82

From my understanding wasn't it that CCFC stopped providing any funding and Coventry United said they would step in. It's more like changing sponsor really. That ultimately hasn't worked out after the club and needed higher investment to be competitive at that level than Coventry United could provide.

With the current CCFC women's team, I hope the club do try and help them grow organically, mentioning their fixtures at games or in the programme or on the website as well as offering a bit of support with training/fitness or whatever.
There was an element of that. CCFC never provided funding and we should remember that the club were in Northampton at the time, with gates of around 2-3,000 so there wasn’t the money at CCFC to subsidise.
The women’s team applied to the Women’s Championship and their business plan was based on adding extra ££’s to men’s tickets, with very little substance elsewhere.

Their application got denied and they blamed CCFC. Then the ego’s kicked in to form a breakaway club, which ironically they have now broken away from. There’s a pattern developing of it being everyone else’s fault when things don’t work out. Will be interesting to see if they claim the old CCLFC honours at rugby in the way they did at Cov United…

Nick

Administrator
There was an element of that. CCFC never provided funding and we should remember that the club were in Northampton at the time, with gates of around 2-3,000 so there wasn’t the money at CCFC to subsidise.
The women’s team applied to the Women’s Championship and their business plan was based on adding extra ££’s to men’s tickets, with very little substance elsewhere.

Their application got denied and they blamed CCFC. Then the ego’s kicked in to form a breakaway club, which ironically they have now broken away from. There’s a pattern developing of it being everyone else’s fault when things don’t work out. Will be interesting to see if they claim the old CCLFC honours at rugby in the way they did at Cov United…
Let's not forget who was running them....

Users who are viewing this thread