Match Thread Coventry City v Manchester United - FA Cup Semi-Final (5 Viewers)

Johhny Blue

The money from going up would have sorted us out for years though and we’d have been able to strengthen further if we got relegated.
I get that point of view but am very wary of giving up the excitement of close championship games (almost) every week for the dross of the prem

Brighton Sky Blue

I understand that, but ultimately, we want to be playing at the highest possible level, surely?
These games have shown that we don’t need to be afraid of going up and that talk of getting relegated on sub 20 points is a bit silly. We would not have as dysfunctional a club as Sheff Utd or as naive a coach as Burnley.

We’d make a fist of it.

Sick Boy

These games have shown that we don’t need to be afraid of going up and that talk of getting relegated on sub 20 points is a bit silly. We would not have as dysfunctional a club as Sheff Utd or as naive a coach as Burnley.

We’d make a fist of it.
I agree- as I said earlier on a different thread, the siege mentality really suits Robins and I think we'd have a decent chance of staying up.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree- as I said earlier on a different thread, the siege mentality really suits Robins and I think we'd have a decent chance of staying up.
I think we’d have got a pretty similar total to whatever Luton end up with this season. Well managed, great squad harmony and Gyokeres and Hamer to build around.

That and top flight clubs seem to suit our players and style more than Championship ones. I’d rather face half the sides in the Prem than I would PNE

clint van damme

Well they weren't bang behind us. I remember 6k rattling around the bowl against Newport, FGR etc.

Let's not pretend that we had this amazing support when we were at our lowest.

The revisionism that goes on in this place is something to behold.

ProfessorbyGrace

What a strange feeling it is, to have pegged Man Utd back to 3-3, and had a legitimate goal disallowed that would have decided the game…only to then lose on penalties.

It’s a peculiar mix of pride and outrage; bordering on total ambivalence.

On one hand, we have the earnest respect of the majority of football fans far and wide, but the image of that fourth goal going in and seeing Torp and the lads ecstatic for a minute or so, only for it to be snatched away, is almost heartbreaking.

I just literally cannot stop going over it in my head, fucking VAR.

ccfc1234

Slightly worried that I have decades more games ahead of me, and it won’t ever get better than that. I wasn’t around for 87.

There will be titles, cup runs, promotions I’m sure. Will there be a last-minute 4-3 against Man United at Wembley, after being 3-0 down with 20 to play? That might be the peak…
Had we won that would have been peak for most fans. We sadly didn't do that.

Football is typically measured by actual success and I think promotion, when and if it happens, will be more exhilarating than yesterday, albeit with less of a roller coaster of emotions unless its a last minute goal to go up etc.....

djr8369

Slightly worried that I have decades more games ahead of me, and it won’t ever get better than that. I wasn’t around for 87.

There will be titles, cup runs, promotions I’m sure. Will there be a last-minute 4-3 against Man United at Wembley, after being 3-0 down with 20 to play? That might be the peak…
It was some game

Paxman II

I say it again. The linesman gave it (no flag) The referee gave the goal, the 4th official gave the goal. So why did it go to a VAR decision? Who's in charge of the game? The officials or the bloke sitting in a studio hut miles away? Makes no sense.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Never gone through emotions like it in a game. Disappointed at how we set up at the start, dejected when that led to being 3-0 down, hope as we came back into it, nerves waiting for the injury time pen, joy when it went in, absolute elation at scoring the 4th followed by utter dejection when it's ruled and it goes to pen, then anger seeing how close the decision was and I'm far from convinced that the frame or that line are correct.

As I say, felt we set up wrong from the start with 5atb. Understand MR wanting to keep it tight but having WB's meant it was going to be near impossible for them to support getting forward for fear of Rashford and Garnacho having space behind. Didn't help that Lati and Kitching especially kept playing hospital passes and putting us under pressure.

Felt going in 1-0 down we could have a chance then the injury time second made me think it's going to be a bit too much, but if we could get the first goal of the second half just maybe. When they got the third I was convinced it was over.

Then we finally changed formation and actually had a go at attacking them (helped by Garnacho and Mainoo going off as well). I said before that their problems were in defence and if we tried to get at them we'd score. Tavares and Torp changed the game entirely and Binks looked more secure at the back. We had a go at them for 20 mins of that game and scored 3 goals because of it.

Heartbreaking to have the final goal disallowed (and getting a whacking great bruise on my leg in the celebrations for nothing) but proud of the way they didn't give up. When we play with freedom and willing to attack we're a sight to behold.

Sky Blue Pete

What a strange feeling it is, to have pegged Man Utd back to 3-3, and had a legitimate goal disallowed that would have decided the game…only to then lose on penalties.

It’s a peculiar mix of pride and outrage; bordering on total ambivalence.

On one hand, we have the earnest respect of the majority of football fans far and wide, but the image of that fourth goal going in and seeing Torp and the lads ecstatic for a minute or so, only for it to be snatched away, is almost heartbreaking.

I just literally cannot stop going over it in my head, fucking VAR.
Yeah didn’t sleep

Brighton Sky Blue

I haven't really bought into the top two talk for next season but watching the game yesterday, if we can get 46 games like that out of Van Ewijk, Torp, Simms et al we will surely be pushing for it.
Consistency is what takes you up. More likely to achieve it with more quality in depth, Saka and EMC to come in is already a start.

shmmeee

Displaying the standard amount of racist balls I see. Ones deleted his account the other gone private. Report the second tho. IMG_1078.jpeg IMG_1077.jpeg

messiahrobins

Had we won that would have been peak for most fans. We sadly didn't do that.

Football is typically measured by actual success and I think promotion, when and if it happens, will be more exhilarating than yesterday, albeit with less of a roller coaster of emotions unless its a last minute goal to go up etc.....
we did win yesterday, but would have been diluted had we got tonked by man city in the final so in some ways the glorious failure may actually have worked out better for us.

messiahrobins

Said it many times , if Wright and Simms produce like they have for 2/3 of a season how good are we going to be next season ?
And that’s before we add EMC and new signings
Goalscorers in any division are golddust and we already have two 😍
Add sakamoto to that!! Palmer will add end product as well.
Kitching will be much better next season, Thomas is already looking a monster. MVE looked a top 6 PL player yesterday, Sheaf Eccles and Torp are superb players.
Next season could be a very special season actually.

Users who are viewing this thread