Match Thread Coventry City - Southampton Match Thread - Wednesday 13th Dec (1 Viewer)

Boicey

If he was itching to play Palmer he would have brought him on yesterday. There is no chance he starts on Wednesday.
I bet he plays on weds at some point. Then starts the game after. Might be pushed back a week but it’s gonna happen given Robin’s post match interview.
I guess he thinks Palmer will engage Wright more but Allen, Ohare and Saka can do that imo.
ok if there’s injuries he’s an option but dear God don’t do something like drop Saka to play Palmer.

wingy

Was thinking about this yesterday. Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds, and Southampton are running away with it. If 3 of those 4 are replaced by Sheffield Utd/Burnley/Luton next season, with no stand out clubs at the top of League 1 (Stevenage are up there), it could be a considerably weaker and more even division.
So our interest in the two defenders at Stevenage was probably not as batshit as at first sight?

Skyblue Bangkok

Bazuni is a good goalkeeper despite the mistake for Watfords goal yesterday. Originally being Irish I have followed his career a little bit and I would say he is one of the best goalkeepers in this division. I watched the highlights of the game on YouTube last night and Buzuni also made a handful of top class saves to deny Watfor

Skyblue Bangkok

I don't rate him ,makes many basic mistakes. Went down like a sack of potatoes yesterday trying to save a half hit shot in the last few seconds when Watford equalised.

Warwickhunt

We haven't seen palmer in the new system have we anyway ? Maybe wait until he gets some minutes in it which I'd imagine will be substitute minutes
hes a bit of a sicknote player and MR has got to manage him back into the team, if we get into a comfotable position in a game i think he brings him on for 10 mins or so.

SkyblueTexan

Bazuni is a good goalkeeper despite the mistake for Watfords goal yesterday. Originally being Irish I have followed his career a little bit and I would say he is one of the best goalkeepers in this division. I watched the highlights of the game on YouTube last night and Buzuni also made a handful of top class saves to deny Watford.
Yes he looked very impressive

SkyblueTexan

Time to rest/rotate the squad

Wilson
Lati Binks Fadz JDS
Kelly Ayari Palmer Eccles
Godden Obikwu

slyblue57

After a win like that it would be daft to change the team, that said, a controversial and predictable curve ball from me... The only two players I think probably deserve to play would be Eccles and Godden. The latter has been out of form, and even though I am not convinced on Simms yet, we really need to get him some regular game time, so that probably stays. Eccles though? He didn't deserve to get dropped, and if he had played instead of Sheaf last night and put in the same performance, people would be calling for a swap.

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Allen COH Eccles
Sakamoto Simms Wright

Scared Episode 14 GIF by The Simpsons
You d pick Eccles over Sheaf 🤣🤣🤣🤣

PVA

I bet he plays on weds at some point. Then starts the game after. Might be pushed back a week but it’s gonna happen given Robin’s post match interview.
I guess he thinks Palmer will engage Wright more but Allen, Ohare and Saka can do that imo.
ok if there’s injuries he’s an option but dear God don’t do something like drop Saka to play Palmer.

What did he actually say? I can't see any mention of Palmer the CET website in Robins interview.

Sky Blue Harry H

A few (perhaps understandable) cocky gits on their site. They're bringing 3k with them , which is good, both for income and for the atmosphere - we like to have an away following to bounce off.

BlueSkiesForever

I don’t know why but I do think Palmer would work well in a RM or LM spot in a 4-3-3 formation, he can pick up the ball from opposition well and run at defences but then lay it off to others to do the scoring. Could rotate with either Allen or O’Hare for when they need a rest.

Rugby Sky Blue

I have just been looking at the Southampton squad, and they certainly have a solid team for this division. I didn't realise just how good their form was, unbeaten in 11 games. Unfortunately, Southampton will have too much for us. I'll be glad to be wrong, though.

shmmeee

I don’t know why but I do think Palmer would work well in a RM or LM spot in a 4-3-3 formation, he can pick up the ball from opposition well and run at defences but then lay it off to others to do the scoring. Could rotate with either Allen or O’Hare for when they need a rest.

He’s played there a fair bit.

IMG_0481.jpeg

Offhegoes

Same team starts
Suicidal. We were wide open when Brum countered on us on Friday. Good call by Robins to play an attacking team against a team in poor form, but he’ll need to tighten it up for Weds. Eccles for Allen I reckon if he keeps the same formation.

Cally Fedora

Robins looked as happy with that display on Friday as I’ve seen him this season. I think he’ll go with the same starting 11. Godden maybe comes back onto the bench - can’t see him changing much more.

BlueSkiesForever

He’s played there a fair bit.

View attachment 32784

Yeah exactly, I’m sure it’ll be an unpopular opinion but I think Palmer in a 4-3-3 at LM or RM (rather than LW or RW) would work alright. His end product is lacking but his work rate, ball-winning ability and forward dribbling is pretty decent. Doesn’t need to play every week but just as a sub or rotation for Allen now and again I think he could add something different.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah exactly, I’m sure it’ll be an unpopular opinion but I think Palmer in a 4-3-3 at LM or RM (rather than LW or RW) would work alright. His end product is lacking but his work rate, ball-winning ability and forward dribbling is pretty decent. Doesn’t need to play every week but just as a sub or rotation for Allen now and again I think he could add something different.
Work rate ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

napolimp

Their fans seem extremely confident they're going to thrash us, and even the pessimistic ones are predicting a draw. Strange attitude considering we've lost once at home all season, after starting the season terribly as well.

SkyBlueSoul

I don't think they'll roll us over but you can't say it's down to misplaced arrogance. 3rd best away record in the league as well (only 2 defeats), most of us would be predicting a win in their position.

Head says 1-2 but I'll stick with my 1-1 prediction, cba being pessimistic this early on a Monday after a week off.

ccfcricoh

just hope Robins doesnt bottle it and switch up formation again because we're playing a stronger team.

I've no doubt we'd have got something out of Ipswich if we didnt change our tactics for them!

I'd rather give it a good go and lose than change formation and lose anyway!

jordan210

As above Southampton forum think they will win easily by at least 2 goals.

I dont live to to far from Southampton and the couple of saints fans I know are absolute deluded morons so much be something in the water round here

shmmeee

just hope Robins doesnt bottle it and switch up formation again because we're playing a stronger team.

I've no doubt we'd have got something out of Ipswich if we didnt change our tactics for them!

I'd rather give it a good go and lose than change formation and lose anyway!

We ran Ipswich closer than pretty much any other team. We missed a pen, they scored a worldie, and it took us ten minutes to start playing. Any of those don’t happen and we’d be hailing a tactical masterclass.

Users who are viewing this thread