Match Thread Coventry City - Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Tuesday 26th Dec (2 Viewers)

Gibbo

It looks like I am virtually on my own in thinking this a poor performance against a side that relied on great lumps at both back and front with Barry Bannon in the middle. Were it not for a piece of brilliance against a tired defence by Sakamoto this would have been a scruffy 1-0 victory at home in front of a big crowd, over a side deservedly in the bottom three. What's so good about that?

The glaringly obvious thing to me at least was that we missed Big Vik, Hamer and Sheaf - that is an effective midfield and good big striker. The lack of impact made by Godden was as much down to how little was coming through from the Lati-Eccles-O'Hare partnership. Once again Palmer (whom I like) flattered to deceive. We only had nine shots on goal - Wednesday had eleven. We are craving a high energy box-to-box midfielder. The 'Targets' thread should be renamed 'Hamer replacement'.

Wednesday also out-boxed City as the match wore on. Realizing O'Hare is the vital creator they closed him down - quietist game I can remember. Initially Wednesday were exposed at the back by both Sakamoto and Wright but not as the game wore on. They drove Saka in particular to repeatedly cut in.

And above all they could see that City are very, very predictable about playing from the back. Wednesday's high press throttled City and it ended up with the fiasco of Collins hoofing it into the stands to concede a corner

Clearly a Hamer replacement must come in January. The striker thing is more tricky. For all his maddening faults, Wright has something. He makes things happen and is surprising deft and quick and this brings something new to the party. Simms however is not Big Vik. Even though we ditched Walker for Vik after half a season, I'm not sure you can repeat that trick with Simms. The amount of cash at stake is much higher. So for this season we have to make do and hope that a better supply from midfield will open up the chances for him.

clint van damme

It looks like I am virtually on my own in thinking this a poor performance against a side that relied on great lumps at both back and front with Barry Bannon in the middle. Were it not for a piece of brilliance against a tired defence by Sakamoto this would have been a scruffy 1-0 victory at home in front of a big crowd, over a side deservedly in the bottom three. What's so good about that?

The glaringly obvious thing to me at least was that we missed Big Vik, Hamer and Sheaf - that is an effective midfield and good big striker. The lack of impact made by Godden was as much down to how little was coming through from the Lati-Eccles-O'Hare partnership. Once again Palmer (whom I like) flattered to deceive. We only had nine shots on goal - Wednesday had eleven. We are craving a high energy box-to-box midfielder. The 'Targets' thread should be renamed 'Hamer replacement'.

Wednesday also out-boxed City as the match wore on. Realizing O'Hare is the vital creator they closed him down - quietist game I can remember. Initially Wednesday were exposed at the back by both Sakamoto and Wright but not as the game wore on. They drove Saka in particular to repeatedly cut in.

And above all they could see that City are very, very predictable about playing from the back. Wednesday's high press throttled City and it ended up with the fiasco of Collins hoofing it into the stands to concede a corner

Clearly a Hamer replacement must come in January. The striker thing is more tricky. For all his maddening faults, Wright has something. He makes things happen and is surprising deft and quick and this brings something new to the party. Simms however is not Big Vik. Even though we ditched Walker for Vik after half a season, I'm not sure you can repeat that trick with Simms. The amount of cash at stake is much higher. So for this season we have to make do and hope that a better supply from midfield will open up the chances for him.

I personally think we'll get a midfielder in January.
But I doubt we'll get anyone approaching the level of Gus, players like him and Vik don't come along very often unfortunately.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We won 2-0. We do need to upgrade the midfield in general (no exceptions), but that wasn't any kind of problem yesterday.

If you wanted to really pick out faults then that's with the striking position. Simms and Godden are currently playing a game of 'please don't pick me next match'. We may need to bring in a winger in January and play Wright central, cause unless we spend another fortune on more strikers, that seems to be the one spot that isn't really working out as things stand.

Brighton Sky Blue

We won 2-0. We do need to upgrade the midfield in general (no exceptions), but that wasn't any kind of problem yesterday.

If you wanted to really pick out faults then that's with the striking position. Simms and Godden are currently playing a game of 'please don't pick me next match'. We may need to bring in a winger in January and play Wright central, cause unless we spend another fortune on more strikers, that seems to be the one spot that isn't really working out as things stand.
Bring in Whittaker from Plymouth for a few mill

chiefdave

Don't think it was a get the Wembley hotel booked performance but it was a pretty efficient job. Not often we can rotate the squad and still put on a pretty clinical performance. Robins assessment was pretty much spot on for me.

Mcbean

@Gibbo i think you need to get over Vik and Hamer - it was great to have them but their funds will enable Robins to build again and you can see its coming - scruffy win but that happens - Sheaf unavoidably out but he will return , i bet Simms is aching to score and i'm sure he will, there was some assured play yesterday but Bannon is a really good player and was spreading the ball Hamer like just they did'nt have anybody to get through our back line and when the ball did someone was on the line - Leeds whooped Ipswich and we held Leeds to a well deserved draw - be great to take the points from Swansea and despite their tramping by STon it will be a tight game - i would ahve preferred Simms on last night rather than Godden because he's big - just my opinion ;)

wingy

@Gibbo i think you need to get over Vik and Hamer - it was great to have them but their funds will enable Robins to build again and you can see its coming - scruffy win but that happens - Sheaf unavoidably out but he will return , i bet Simms is aching to score and i'm sure he will, there was some assured play yesterday but Bannon is a really good player and was spreading the ball Hamer like just they did'nt have anybody to get through our back line and when the ball did someone was on the line - Leeds whooped Ipswich and we held Leeds to a well deserved draw - be great to take the points from Swansea and despite their tramping by STon it will be a tight game - i would ahve preferred Simms on last night rather than Godden because he's big - just my opinion ;)
Just alternating the squad¡

Sky Blue Pete

Far too critical

Users who are viewing this thread