Match Thread Coventry City - Plymouth Argyle Match Thread - Tuesday 28th Nov (1 Viewer)

StrettoBoy

Ive been critical of Haji this season but I think we just have to accept at times he looks clumsy and makes some really strange decisions but he keeps getting chances and on a lucky day he takes all the chances, so lets hope Robins gets into his head and makes him believe he's a world beater and not a carpet beater, Godden on the otherhand has chances created for him but is just way way too slow to take them, he had at least 2 chances last night where he was just outpaced and I don't think making him captain has improved him, he seems to rant and rave if the ball isn't passed to him and at 1 point last night he was berating one of our players (can't remember who it was) for playing a good pass but Godden didn't move for it, many times it has been said that if he isn't scoring he doesn't really add to the team and its starting to become more apparent every game now!

I agree with your points. I think Haji looks awkward because, rather like Peter Crouch, he is tall and gangly. He offers us something different to the other strikers and to date his goals tally is decent.

In my opinion our best front three are HW on the left, Simms in the middle and Tats on the right.

Ashdown

Yes we got away with murder there, sat low down in block 16 we called it immediately , in fact , hardly celebrated the goal as fully expected it to be disallowed. Shame we won it in that way but that’s football.
Respect to the Plymouth fans and team , fans for good numbers so far from home on a Tuesday night in November and team for their touching applause for Hallie, plus a reasonable performance at times that could have got them a point.

Bidda

Few points...

1) Ball was out. However West Brom and Preston's goals against us recently shouldn't of been allowed, so we were due one.
2) Reminded me a lot of many games last season, where we were not great, but solid, and I always had a feeling we would win it, despite the first 15-20 mins of the 2nd half being shocking.
3) We looked more dangerous when Simms went down the middle. Suddenly we had a focal point up top, and Plymouth were really worried about him. I love Matty G, but this game was more suited to Simms. Shame it took Robins 70 mins to see that too.
4) Ayari - I hope Palmer is back on Saturday, as this guy shouldn't be on the pitch for us
Should there have been a penalty shout in the first half? The ball was played into their box from (l think) our free kick and the ball clearly hit their defender’s left hand.

David O'Day

The 4-3-3 system has worked at turning around our form, but we gave up a fair few chances last night, and against Millwall on Sat.
Going to a bang in form Ipswich on Sat, on a ground we've never done well at, I would consider moving back to a wing back system, and a box midfield.

Collins
Thomas Fadz Kitching
MVE Dasilva
Sheaf Eccles
Allen Sakamoto
Wright
big night last night?

ricohroar

His last sentence is correct mind
"True, I just was trying to highlight that the ball doesn't even appear on the line or close to it. Yes the curvature may potentially mean it is touching by a millimetre or whatever, but let's be honest, a referee blows up for a goal kick 98 times out of 100 there."

From PAFC page, also saying on there they'd be concerned being Cov fan as we looked league 2 LMAO bitter

Macca

To be fair had that been given against us there would be a tsunami of tears and threads.
Shit happens and we probably just about deserved the win. We’ve had some shit ones and some very generous ones this season let’s just concentrate on the team

Grendel

Lol I love how you keep saying you were in line with it like an old blokes view from the stands is somehow definitive versus all of the camera angles being debated

There is no debate it was over the line and oddly various camera angles aren’t the view the official has. The same official gave them a throw earlier when Bidwell had the ball and it was far closer to the line than that

Macca

"True, I just was trying to highlight that the ball doesn't even appear on the line or close to it. Yes the curvature may potentially mean it is touching by a millimetre or whatever, but let's be honest, a referee blows up for a goal kick 98 times out of 100 there."

From PAFC page, also saying on there they'd be concerned being Cov fan as we looked league 2 LMAO bitter

League 2 ridiculous. However as an opposition fan I’d be disappointed not to get a point out of us at the mo

Macca

I think Simms should start over Godden tbh, I get that Godden scored 1 of the goals against Milwall but to me Simms looks more threatening in the box with the ball at his feet, he runs at defenders with pace and has got a bit of strength/height that probably adds something extra to our game. Some of the runs around defenders that Simms made in the Stoke game were pretty decent tbf and whilst this is based on no evidence whatsoever I get the feeling that Godden and Wright’s link-up play doesn’t work well. It’s not too much of a criticism as we played pretty well but I would just rather see 3 pacy forwards and see what Simms can offer in that front 3 than see Godden every single week.

When you have spent 11 million on 2 strikers they need to play together every week to get a proper view of whether it’s going to work long term

The Philosopher

View attachment 32571
Fucking miles in! Top call lino. 🎉🎉
That was out but there was no clear view from the Lino and the ref wasn’t sure.

My take:

There was a clear clear handball in the first half which the ref and Lino missed and possibly the 4th official saw.

During their half time chat this might have come up and human nature suggests they may have thought “if there’s a chance of balance” or whatever then they’d have that in mind.

With it not being 100% clear in real time if the ball has crossed, they balanced it in our favour.

I think had they had not missed the pen in the first half, they might have given the goal ball as out.

The foul on Sims when through after the goal that was not given was also a strange one. Balance?

I would feel angry if I was a Plymouth fan but anyway.

SBT

is it bollocks, football fandom isn't a rational thing is it
All the moaning about banning refs from working is supposed to be rooted in the urgent need for cOnSiStEnCy and fears about poor refereeing ruining the game, which suddenly and conveniently don’t seem to be as big of an issue when an obvious mistake hands us three points.

The Philosopher

Should there have been a penalty shout in the first half? The ball was played into their box from (l think) our free kick and the ball clearly hit their defender’s left hand.
That’s what I’ve been on about. It didn’t just hit, it appeared “unnatural movement” or whatever it is called was going on - he appeared to pat it down and change the trajectory. It’s not on extended highlights though so can’t be 100% but to me it was as clear as day in real time.

David O'Day

That’s what I’ve been on about. It didn’t just hit, it appeared “unnatural movement” or whatever it is called was going on - he appeared to pat it down and change the trajectory. It’s not on extended highlights though so can’t be 100% but to me it was as clear as day in real time.
His arms were down by his waist weren't they?

David O'Day

All the moaning about banning refs from working is supposed to be rooted in the urgent need for cOnSiStEnCy and fears about poor refereeing ruining the game, which suddenly and conveniently don’t seem to be as big of an issue when an obvious mistake hands us three points.
The ref was shite though, if anyone else was that bad at their jobs they'd be in trouble

Also was it an obvious mistake? I don't know, the Japan one in the WC looked equally out but was shown not to be.

Most refs give last nights out but so far there are no angles that show it to e 100% out.

• Haha
Reactions: SBT

Otis

Yes we got away with murder there, sat low down in block 16 we called it immediately , in fact , hardly celebrated the goal as fully expected it to be disallowed. Shame we won it in that way but that’s football.
Respect to the Plymouth fans and team , fans for good numbers so far from home on a Tuesday night in November and team for their touching applause for Hallie, plus a reasonable performance at times that could have got them a point.
I was watching it on TV and I didn't celebrate it either. Looked clearly out of play on the TV screen

I sat there waiting for it to be disallowed.

shmmeee

I was watching it on TV and I didn't celebrate it either. Looked clearly out of play on the TV screen

I sat there waiting for it to be disallowed.

I was up the other end of the ground too low to see what was happening so went mental

Otis

There is no debate it was over the line and oddly various camera angles aren’t the view the official has. The same official gave them a throw earlier when Bidwell had the ball and it was far closer to the line than that
Yep, I thought that at the time. That looked like it was still in to me.

pusbccfc

Let's just say, it's far more inconclusive than many of the decisions that have gone against us.

1000081857.jpg

Bidda

I agree and yet none of the commentators mentioned it.

The Philosopher

Let's just say, it's far more inconclusive than many of the decisions that have gone against us.

View attachment 32575
There was a “goal” by us ruled out last season which was very similar in that the “alarm” on the ref’s wrist didn’t go off even though it looked like I’d had crossed the line by as much as your photo there.

It does beg the point, if we can have goal line technology, when will by-line technology come in? Can’t be that different can it? (any tech bods, feel free to explain if it’s impossible).

I don’t agree with it - I just think it’s inevitable. I didn’t agree with Hawkeye in cricket at first but times change.

pusbccfc

There was a “goal” by us ruled out last season which was very similar in that the “alarm” on the ref’s wrist didn’t go off even though it looked like I’d had crossed the line by as much as your photo there.

It does beg the point, if we can have goal line technology, when will by-line technology come in? Can’t be that different can it (any tech bods, feel free to explain if it’s impossible)

1000081859.jpg 1000081860.jpg

This one?

The Philosopher

Did the EFL systems CGI that image for illustrative purposes, mind? Looks an awfully perfect image? Not saying it’s not accurate - it’s just interesting when watching VAR decisions they are going “next frame, back a frame”. Can’t we get to increased frames per second nowadays (again, tech bods, is this unrealistic or is there a stipulated 24 or whatever frames per second in these things?)

Grendel

He’s not going to sign though, that’s clear. And we’ve moved on from him as a side with no obvious place in the team for him.

Well when he gets fully back to fitness he and Allen will compete for a place

It’s palmer that is an expensive player who has no obvious role now

Warwickhunt

the same Assistant who gave Van Earwig offside when he broke away down the left! i looked at the Assistant when he was and he was 5 yards behind the line of play. If the EFL went through all the decisions and awarded or take of points accordingly we would still be better off, as you say its annoying but not as bad as VAR decisions when a gnats cock is being used as a rule of measure

pusbccfc

Did the EFL systems CGI that image for illustrative purposes, mind? Looks an awfully perfect image? Not saying it’s not accurate - it’s just interesting when watching VAR decisions they are going “next frame, back a frame”. Can’t we get to increased frames per second nowadays (again, tech bods, is this unrealistic or is there a stipulated 24 or whatever frames per second in these things?)

That's what Hawkeye images look like

Warwickhunt

I watched Plymouths last few games and i think that teams have worked them out! they couldnt dribble past Kitching & Thomas and constantly had the ball taken off them on their fast breaks.

Brighton Sky Blue

It does beg the point, if we can have goal line technology, when will by-line technology come in? Can’t be that different can it? (any tech bods, feel free to explain if it’s impossible).

I don’t agree with it - I just think it’s inevitable. I didn’t agree with Hawkeye in cricket at first but times change.
It needs two sensors put either end of the line. For goalposts this is fine, for the touchline it would need to be corner flags at opposite ends of the pitch unless I’m mistaken.

Users who are viewing this thread