Coventry City Mad (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Come on guys give kev monks a break, your all on here giving him stick.
All he does is make it easier to get the stories from across the football world, its so much easier than looking across the web.

With this russian investment he even says at the bottom "like many city fans we'll belive it when we see it"
Yes he can be biased but he is a cov fan after all...
Just because he puts telegragh stories an hour later your all moaning at him.

IMO he is just trying to help fans out by putting theses stories he finds on his website.

SkyBluegilby

I like CCMAD, everything he writes he makes it clear its with a pinch of salt,

If you want unbiased reporting go on BBC news and get a third of the stories you do on CCmad.

rob9872

Why a newthread for this? Surely better on the one where people were discussing him as a response and balanced view?

Fwiw I have no axe to grind with Kev as we're all part of the Coventry City family and I'm sure it's well intended, we just prefer this site so we post here. My only objection is not with him (since he doesn't give himself the awards) but with the awards themselves and the way he is mentioned as some 'super-fan' better than the rest of us. That of course is not his fault (although personally I wouldn't accept such awards if they were bestowed upon me).

I'm sure like many of us he has Sky Blue blood through his veins and that the club is as important to many of us as it is to him, but we have other commitments to like family and jobs. I'm sure if you were all paying for me and I didn't have to earn a living, then I could find time to go and watch the youth team too.

derbyskyblue

Why a newthread for this? Surely better on the one where people were discussing him as a response and balanced view?

Fwiw I have no axe to grind with Kev as we're all part of the Coventry City family and I'm sure it's well intended, we just prefer this site so we post here. My only objection is not with him (since he doesn't give himself the awards) but with the awards themselves and the way he is mentioned as some 'super-fan' better than the rest of us. That of course is not his fault (although personally I wouldn't accept such awards if they were bestowed upon me).

I'm sure like many of us he has Sky Blue blood through his veins and that the club is as important to many of us as it is to him, but we have other commitments to like family and jobs. I'm sure if you were all paying for me and I didn't have to earn a living, then I could find time to go and watch the youth team too.
he probably is a superfan, doesn't miss a match while suffering a serious illness. Kev should be proud of every award he gets....and so should we .

rob9872

Why should we be proud of him?

I'm sorry for his plight, I woudln't wish any illness on anyone. I find most awards nauseating, but lets not pretend he is fighting wars for his country or saving lives with his medical training.

The guy watches his football team that's all. Something that he enjoys doing. Something we would all like to do and made easier by claiming benfits to pay for it and not having to balance work and family commitments with following his team. In fact through our taxes we're paying for his benefits to help him - I want an award for that.

derbyskyblue

Why should we be proud of him?

I'm sorry for his plight, I woudln't wish any illness on anyone. I find most awards nauseating, but lets not pretend he is fighting wars for his country or saving lives with his medical training.

The guy watches his football team that's all. Something that he enjoys doing. Something we would all like to do and made easier by claiming benfits to pay for it and not having to balance work and family commitments with following his team. In fact through our taxes we're paying for his benefits to help him - I want an award for that.
That's a bit harsh, i'm sure given the choice he would rather be fit and well and working than claiming benefits. I work with people who are suffering with what he has and its not very pleasant at all.

rob9872

Tbh I have no idea what's wrong with him, but if he can travel the length and breadth of the country following City and he can run a website on a daily basis, then there are copuntless office jobs that he woudl be more than capable of if he really wanted to work.

MatthewWallis

He didn't win brave person of the year award did he? No he won an award that was designed for football fans so lighten up

But anyway cov mad is funny I often read Kev Monks quoting himself in news stories haha :D

derbyskyblue

Tbh I have no idea what's wrong with him, but if he can travel the length and breadth of the country following City and he can run a website on a daily basis, then there are copuntless office jobs that he woudl be more than capable of if he really wanted to work.
Parkinson's. No-one is going to employ him with that. And the outlook for hin is not very nice. He will have good days and bad days and the bad days are bad days believe me.

rob9872

Sorry I realise as I'm typing this that I'm going to make myself public enemy number one - especially as I'm ill-informed and know nothing of the disease otehr than Ali has it.

Pretty co-incidental though that not one of these "bad days" has ever happened on a match day that he attends about five days a week and never missed a game ...

Danceswithhorses

Sorry I realise as I'm typing this that I'm going to make myself public enemy number one - especially as I'm ill-informed and know nothing of the disease otehr than Ali has it.

Pretty co-incidental though that not one of these "bad days" has ever happened on a match day that he attends about five days a week and never missed a game ...

Again, not true...kev often has fits at games and blacks out...he has to rely on friends to fill in the bits he misses whilst unconcious, so he can complete match reports.

Nick

Administrator
I don't personally know Kev but sometimes that site does have some good news. He is a dedicated fella I give him that and must be minted to go to all of the games home and away.

ajsccfc

All he does is make it easier to get the stories from across the football world, its so much easier than looking across the web.

Surely browsing to Cov Mad is no easier than browsing to the Telegraph site. There's actually less work involved when you have one CET article covering the stuff Cov Mad stretches into three or four.

pusbccfc

Well when on phone its a large page the telegraph and takes a lot of time to load as the cov mads a lot less, plus I think its a little easier on cov mad anyway

Ernie Machin

He does seem to get a lot of stick for no real reason. His 'superfan' status seems to rub people up the wrong way, but I don't care one way or the other.

Can't say I bother with his website, either.

Disorganised1

Kev is a free-lance journalist, which is how he gets time to attend all the matches.

BurbageSkyBlues

I think this is bang out of order, discussing someone's medical plight on a sports forum.

Kev is a sky blue fan through and through, end of!

Macca

Yep lets avoid medical stuff but i agree that awards for being a football fan for anybody are quite funny. It is after all a lifestyle choice to go to so many games. I mean when do i get my sitting in a darkened room knocking one out award

les_miserables

Parkinsons is a killer, medical science can delay things nowadays but inevitably it will get worse and the time will come when he won't be able to attend any games. I wouldn't begrudge the man, who i wouldn't know if i bumped into him, a penny in whatever he gets benefits wise or from pursuing his beloved football club. Shame he didn't win the 161 million the other night, had he done the Sky Blues would be 160 million pound richer.

@richh87

I have no issue with the articles he copies from other sources. It's the stuff he puts together himself which I can't stand. He has agendas and uses Cov Mad to get them across.

For example:

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/adams_back_as_port_vale_boss_677572/index.shtml

"Micky Adams, who used to boast to the Coventry City players that he was a millionaire, has increased his bank balance further still over the last few days.

The former City player and manager was sacked as manager of Sheffield United and paid off by his home town club and he has walked straight back to his old job at Port Vale with a new three year contract."

This is the tip of the iceberg with Monks. Another cracker is "Police have uncovered a plot by Coventry City fans to physically remove Micky Adams from the dugout at the Ricoh Arena"

:jerkit:

keef

Kev can write whatever he likes on his website. Sometimes its useful other times its just a rehash of other articles. I read most of them.
Have no opinion on him as a person and dont care what agenda he has. His match reports are by far the most entertaining of all the reports i read as they give you an idea of songs that were sung and the general fan mood in addition to how we played etc.

Personally id like to see the club give him more access to the players etc, he certainly deserves it for his dedication to not only the first team games but the Youth fixtures etc that he attends and supports.

AngryAnt

As someone who's spoken to Kev a fair bit and had him in our home a few times, he's a decent honest bloke who doesn't deserve the stick that he gets. His illness does effect him during football matches and he's mentioned that a few times in his reports.
He's doing what he loves and i think we're better off with him around than without someone as dedicated as he is. If you don't like some of his websites reports then don't read them, the bbc for example has had some extremely bad reporting on their site before now (can think of a fair few times where we maybe get half a line about use even though we've won, or how we're crewe one week or playing ipswich when its actually leeds). Covmad isn't anywhere near the level that we had a few years back with the championship on ITV.

He attends all the youth team, the reserves and first team games. Maybe he doesn't have a job to balance it around, but if i didn't i still wouldn't be able to put that much effort into this club!

I agree that the club should give him alot more access, but then they could end up competing against sky blue world.

Users who are viewing this thread