Match Thread Coventry City - Hull City Match Thread - Wednesday 24th Apr (10 Viewers)

shmmeee

Robins has got some things wrong sure , too cautious often , drew too many at home , set up to avoid defeat etc ... not all to do with fatigue .

You already know this .. DEtEcTiVE ShMEeeeeEe

None of that was the issue today. And none of that explains why you’ve been going on about the players. Sorry I just think you’re talking shite after a loss. Fatigue is real and the most likely explanation for the last few games.

Made this account quite a while ago and a regular viewer on the site, but never post, I thought I would post tonight. I am angry at the manner in which we conceded the goals tonight, but when taken into context, it is slightly understandable and I can't believe how proud I am to be a Coventry City fan. Not many teams at this level can go the distance with a Premier League side, whilst being 3-0 down and have victory cruelly snatched away by a marginal decision made by VAR.

We gifted Hull City the win, with errors which, whilst characteristic of our season (we seem to concede a lot when looking like the side edging the game, today, Sunday in the second half for their third), but I can make allowances for today. As for people talking about the starting line up, it was obvious changes will be needed. I am still physically and emotionally exhausted from Sunday, god only knows how the players feel. But we don't moan about it angling for change to the detriment of others, unlike some.

I have to say, Ben Sheaf is a different animal, by the way, 120 minutes and still played circa 75 minutes tonight and looked quality, I'll look forward to what I think are the few games remaining of his time here until he leaves. Yes, this season is looking like it is over, but I think something special is happening here and we should all embrace it.

skybluecam

I mean i dont think I can prove anymore to anyone on here the info i get told is 90% correct so lets not go there shall we
Either Mark Robins is a much stupider man than I thought and has told people he doesn’t rate his own players, or this is the opinion of someone else and therefore essentially worthless.

djr8369

No worse than tonight
Nah that’s way off. Wrexham game was howler after howler from someone whose head was clearly somewhere else. First goal tonight is a wet ball which spins out his hands. It happens near enough every week to someone. The back pass put him in a very difficult position but should have thrown himself at it more. It’s a bad performance, nothing more.

clint van damme

I don't believe it's been bad tactics.

We were excellent against Wolves, excellent in the second half against Man U, great against Leeds. 8'm not having this we've been shit for weeks. That makes it sound like there have been no good performances and there have.

It's consistency we have lacked.

We conceded a very poor goal against Leeds.
We've been all over the place defensively since the Wolves game.
The cup runs been great, but I honestly think it's cost us a place in the play offs.

Otis

The cup runs been great, but I honestly think it's cost us a place in the play offs.
Defensive errors of late have been very prominent haven't they. Isn't that about 4 goals Collins has been responsible for in as many games?

Thomas, Kitching and Lati have all made crucial errors.

Otis

Screenshot_2024-04-25-06-32-34-39_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I think that just sums everything up in a nutshell.

I think next season we will be absolutely fine and ready to make a real challenge of the top 3.

Look how Simms started off and Wright's poor passage of form, before coming good.

First season stepping up from L1 to Championship for Thomas and Kitching. I am sure they will just keep getting better.

Get a new keeper in and with Mason-Clark, Saka back and a few more astute acquisitions, we should have a much more competitive squad.

I rate Burroughs too, so I think he is a decent option as backup off the bench.

A lot of disappointment lately, but the future looks very promising.

Ashdown

Tired legs, tired minds, disillusionment, anti climax…..Last night highlighted lack of squad depth, thats all . Kelly and Godden not offering a lot, Palmer is not as good as Callum and Collins was half asleep .
We could also say, that Hull have some good players and took advantage of our predicament. I think the season end cannot come fast enough now after that debacle on Sunday.

bigfatronssba

Hull players came across as a right bunch of scumbags.

Why, after scoring, did their players run away from their own fans and instead try and incite a reaction from singers corner?

When it’s a local derby, or fans had been particularly hostile to individual players I could maybe understand it, but that last night was completely unprovoked.

And then we have all the play acting. I’ve never seen so many players recover from being seriously hurt within 10 seconds. I thought I was watching a faith healing convention at one point

TomRad85

I agree with BSB, Philogene was good but the rest did nothing really. They'll miss out on the play offs and probably attempt to loan a whole team again, I don't see this working out well for them.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SIR ERNIE

No doubt about it.
Birmingham game players had one eye on Wembley and possibly Southampton too.
I said at the time I'd choose play offs over a cup run and the fact remains that for a squad of our size you can't do both.
Having said that we've given the football world two of the greatest ever cup QFs and SFs and raised our profile globally so its not all bad.
Look forward to a new season in the best league with an even stronger squad.

Brighton Sky Blue

View attachment 35349

I think that just sums everything up in a nutshell.

I think next season we will be absolutely fine and ready to make a real challenge of the top 3.

Look how Simms started off and Wright's poor passage of form, before coming good.

First season stepping up from L1 to Championship for Thomas and Kitching. I am sure they will just keep getting better.

Get a new keeper in and with Mason-Clark, Saka back and a few more astute acquisitions, we should have a much more competitive squad.

I rate Burroughs too, so I think he is a decent option as backup off the bench.

A lot of disappointment lately, but the future looks very promising.
The top 3 would require a lot more quality in depth plus the defence to massively improve, but a proper tilt at the top 6 should be a realistic ambition. Even then, if we spend next season conceding goals as ridiculous as yesterday on a regular basis we’ll again fall short.

O’Hare and Godden need replacing, probably need to upgrade Palmer too, but serious defensive work needs to happen over the summer. Two clean sheets since Boxing Day is a dreadful record.

Gint11

We knew this was coming. The players are knackered. Usually I roll my eyes to that but it’s got to true this time. 120 mins with all that emotion and expenditure, it was bound to happen. Let’s give them a break and plan for next season.

possibly not see COH in the shirt again

bigfatronssba

The top 3 would require a lot more quality in depth plus the defence to massively improve, but a proper tilt at the top 6 should be a realistic ambition. Even then, if we spend next season conceding goals as ridiculous as yesterday on a regular basis we’ll again fall short.

O’Hare and Godden need replacing, probably need to upgrade Palmer too, but serious defensive work needs to happen over the summer. Two clean sheets since Boxing Day is a dreadful record.

The current squad are capable of top 6 next season without improvement.

Add some depth, and sort the defence out and there’s no reason at all that we can’t push for the automatics

Brighton Sky Blue

Add some depth, and sort the defence out and there’s no reason at all that we can’t push for the automatics
Our first choice 11 fully fit definitely is, and took apart this year’s league champs. The problem is who’s next in line behind them.

Winny the Bish

Onto next season. Hopefully we can build and don’t need to sell to improve the squad.

Last night proved its time to move on from Kelly and Allen. JA getting outpaced every time he tried to make a run was just sad to see.

ricohroar

In my opinion (I know it don't mean much), if Simms, Hadji, Van Ewik could do 45 mins Id have started them, said give it your all, get us a head then swap to the team that started. Rather than like first half absolutely no outlet, just pinned back.

But as others have said on here what a season we have had, and look at the squad for next year with players coming back and new ones arriving. I say for the remainder of this season lets give some of the fringe bench sitters some pitch time and see what we have there.

Boicey

It’s easy to be vague about increasing the squad size and replacing COH. The difficult bit is being specific about how we improve midfield and the defence.
Who needs dropping for hopefully better quality we can bring in?

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s easy to be vague about increasing the squad size and replacing COH. The difficult bit is being specific about how we improve midfield and the defence.
Who needs dropping for hopefully better quality we can bring in?
We need a squad rather than just a starting 11. This has been the problem ever since we entered this league

Brighton Sky Blue

Still a silly foul to make in that area. You know you're running the risk. And it's still hard to tell from the still if it's outside or on the line (which is in), so not a huge mistake by the ref.
I thought it was more daft from Lati than a ref mistake.

Boicey

We need a squad rather than just a starting 11. This has been the problem ever since we entered this league
That’s the vague stuff.
We need 2 or 3 quality first team players to challenge and that will increase the squad size.
The question is specially who do they replace?

Otis

How many have been down to Collins? Quite a few I think. A good keeper can make all the difference in the world.

As a defence, if you have a top keeper between the sticks behind you, it can create such a feeling of confidence.

I saw the stats on Everton's defence. Right up there with the best in the Premier and a lot of that is down to Jordan Pickford.

Otis

Yup. We have been really close this season and that's after an awful start and a number of new players taking an age to get going.

Users who are viewing this thread