Coventry 1883 (1 Viewer)

saltaire bantam

Desperate days, I've been following this shambles for a long time. When I thought Bradford were going to slip out of the league 2 seasons ago, I and many others, had had enough. A decade long linear downward spiral, where you keep thinking you've hit bottom and things cannot get any worse, but they do, it just sucked out my dwindling remaining enthusiasm.

It would have been the end of us and tbh that is what I wanted (tho' with hindsight thank fook it wasn't :D) because plans were already being made, after discussions and advice from Darlo fans.

Owners come and go, grounds too, names as well, Coventry City FC is not tangible, it is only it's fans. A club wearing sky blue, representing the City of Coventry and playing in it, that is your club. Things seem to change from week to week, but, if the FA really does endorse the move to Sixfields, that is not your club any longer, you need to make plans.

Good luck.

kapowaz

Came here to propose exactly this. Glad to see it's already being considered.

My view is that the club I supported as a kid is dead, much in the same way that Wimbledon FC died when it moved to Milton Keynes. What matters is that it's a Coventry-based club playing in Sky Blue.

I'm sure ACL would jump at the opportunity to have another tenant, even if they have to start from right at the bottom of the football pyramid.

Whatever it takes, I'm behind this. What do we need to do?

Gary.j

My view is that the club I supported as a kid is dead, much in the same way that Wimbledon FC died when it moved to Milton Keynes. What matters is that it's a Coventry-based club playing in Sky Blue.

I'm sure ACL would jump at the opportunity to have another tenant, even if they have to start from right at the bottom of the football pyramid.

We need access to acl, we need to find a league that will take us at this late stage, we need to unify as a fan group. Im in!

covmark

Are you going to pay the 400k annual rent?

saltaire bantam

I would not recommend this unless I saw hope for CCFC playing in Coventry tbh, but, 30 miles away? Come on!

Darlo did it in a summer and they faced tremendous difficulties, no stadium for starters.........the FA made then change the name as they were recognised as a new club, 1883 it was for them.

The FA would bend over backwards considering the support base that you have, you can only (sensibly) be relegated so far with 1000's of travelling support, you are not a Darlo situation. Of course, your support has to be mobilised quickly.

It can be done, Darlo play at Bishop Aukland 30 miles away, they had crowds bigger than 10 clubs in the Conference, and now a new promotion and a future to look forward to. You have big advantages in your support base and a vacant stadium.............in Coventry.

Who knows, hands might be forced before you got half started............

kapowaz

I'll chip in!

But seriously, if ACL have offered the club the stadium's use rent-free, what better opportunity for a newly-formed club to take up that offer, play in the city and work their way up. The Alan Edward Higgs Trust is far more likely to want to sell their stake to a club which has a longterm commitment to the community, as (I'm sure) would ACL.

How did Wimbledon fans go about forming AFC Wimbledon? Maybe we should be talking to them about what they did, and how they did it?

kapowaz

THIS, bigtime. SISU would absolutely shit a brick if they realised they would no longer have any support or the possibility of acquiring the Ricoh Arena at knock-down price (which I have to assume has always been their gameplan). I mean, really what point would there be in it any more? Pissing off their entire customer base whilst simultaneously making it harder to actually be a loyal supporter, when they've got toxic debt and no assets… they'll change their tune very quickly, I suspect.

But I would still turn them down. I would rather see a club in the conference that was built on a more solid foundation, free from all that debt, and without dishonest and shadowy owners.

Gary.j

I'll chip in!

But seriously, if ACL have offered the club the stadium's use rent-free, what better opportunity for a newly-formed club to take up that offer, play in the city and work their way up. The Alan Edward Higgs Trust is far more likely to want to sell their stake to a club which has a longterm commitment to the community, as (I'm sure) would ACL.

How did Wimbledon fans go about forming AFC Wimbledon? Maybe we should be talking to them about what they did, and how they did it?

This! So this!

Gary.j

I would not recommend this unless I saw hope for CCFC playing in Coventry tbh, but, 30 miles away? Come on!

Darlo did it in a summer and they faced tremendous difficulties, no stadium for starters.........the FA made then change the name as they were recognised as a new club, 1883 it was for them.

The FA would bend over backwards considering the support base that you have, you can only (sensibly) be relegated so far with 1000's of travelling support, you are not a Darlo situation. Of course, your support has to be mobilised quickly.

It can be done, Darlo play at Bishop Aukland 30 miles away, they had crowds bigger than 10 clubs in the Conference, and now a new promotion and a future to look forward to. You have big advantages in your support base and a vacant stadium.............in Coventry.

And this! Come on, wake up cov!

ccfctommy

You realise you would have to start at the very bottom right? You think the Ricoh will let you okay there?

saltaire bantam

THIS, bigtime. SISU would absolutely shit a brick if they realised they would no longer have any support or the possibility of acquiring the Ricoh Arena at knock-down price (which I have to assume has always been their gameplan).

SISU's only assets as far as I can see are the Coventry City FC support base and the league status, the latter is worth FA without the former and the sooner you ALL realise this the better. My money would be on SISU blinking first if you got mobilised, a web/FB page is a start.

kapowaz

You realise you would have to start at the very bottom right? You think the Ricoh will let you okay there?

If the choices for ACL are: have no regular tenant (whether SISU build a new stadium or stay permanently outside of the city, either will result in this) or have a tenant that's lower down the pyramid than they'd like, but that has potential to rise rapidly with a (relatively) large fanbase. I'd say they'd go for it.

As for the fans… well I've always felt that I'd rather see my club stable and playing enjoyable-to-watch football than a bottom-feeding sub-existence. But that's just me.

kapowaz

My money would be on SISU blinking first if you got mobilised, a web/FB page is a start.

I have the ccfc.nu domain name (have done for years, it's largely been unused in that time). If people want to start collecting their demands or manifesto or whatever you want to call it, I'm happy to put something together and host it on there.

italiahorse

I like the name.

I also like rebranding Nuneaton Borough and moving them to the Ricoh. Reserve games at Nuneaton ground plus academy perhaps.
The Ricoh is sort of central to Coventry and Nuneaton.
We can watch SISU FC drop out the league at exactly the same point as Cov1883 move up. Genius.

Otis

I like the name.

I also like rebranding Nuneaton Borough and moving them to the Ricoh. Reserve games at Nuneaton ground plus academy perhaps.
The Ricoh is sort of central to Coventry and Nuneaton.
We can watch SISU FC drop out the league at exactly the same point as Cov1883 move up. Genius.

Cov 1883? So what happens to Nuneaton? Are they the BSB in Sky BSB, where everyone only ever mentions Sky?

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

Gary.j

Coventry city afc
Coventry city 1883
Coventry city fcr (reborn, rebirth)
Coventry city pfc (phoenix)
City of coventry fc
Or combinations

saltaire bantam

Just to put some sensible perspective on this, Wimbledon fell out of the PL in 2000 and after re-branding and relocation in 2004, ceased to exist. Bradford City fell out of the PL in 2001.

In 2012 Wimbledon FC finished above Bradford City in the football league. If that doesn't give you encouragement, nowt will! ;)

kapowaz

I don't understand why people are bringing Nuneaton Borough into this. They're their own club, and shouldn't be affected by whatever happens with CCFC. I'm sure Boro fans have no desire to see their team subsumed into a new Coventry FC.

Warwickhunt

Yes it would be nice however ACL need to bring in serious rent or they are up shit creek without a paddle

Warwickhunt

THIS, bigtime. SISU would absolutely shit a brick if they realised they would no longer have any support or the possibility of acquiring the Ricoh Arena at knock-down price (which I have to assume has always been their gameplan). I mean, really what point would there be in it any more? Pissing off their entire customer base whilst simultaneously making it harder to actually be a loyal supporter, when they've got toxic debt and no assets… they'll change their tune very quickly, I suspect.

But I would still turn them down. I would rather see a club in the conference that was built on a more solid foundation, free from all that debt, and without dishonest and shadowy owners.
If you could garantee we would start in the conference then yes lets doit, however reality is we would start at the bottom and it would take us 8 years to get back to where we are now.

kapowaz

It's been 12 years since we were relegated from the Premier League, and it's been a downward spiral of misery since then. 8 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

saltaire bantam

If you could garantee we would start in the conference then yes lets doit, however reality is we would start at the bottom and it would take us 8 years to get back to where we are now.

No way would Coventry start at the "bottom". You are not a Wimbledon or a Darlington, and AFC Wimbledon achieved L1 in 5 promotions (I think) not 8 or 9, you would be far too big to play in a minor league, the FA and other clubs would aknowledge and understand this, you'd be put in the most appropriate league, it would not be Conference but not far off.

DazzleTommyDazzle

No way would Coventry start at the "bottom". You are not a Wimbledon or a Darlington, and AFC Wimbledon achieved L1 in 5 promotions (I think) not 8 or 9, you would be far too big to play in a minor league, the FA and other clubs would aknowledge and understand this, you'd be put in the most appropriate league, it would not be Conference but not far off.

I'm not sure what the regulations are on this, but I think you're correct that the probable size of the travelling support and the related safety issues would influence the "starting position".

Users who are viewing this thread