Could those attending Wasps games... (1 Viewer)

Ian1779

They had to move - they took the business decision that suited them - it happened to be to move to the Ricoh and buy into ACL.

To another location in the London vicinity.. fine.

To the midlands is too far and fundamentally wrong.

They should have been sent packing before they had a chance to look around. That's what a morally decent council would have done.

torchomatic

They had to move - they took the business decision that suited them - it happened to be to move to the Ricoh and buy into ACL.

You've seen the article, they could have moved into their own purpose built stadium in London and had revenue from hotels that were also to be built in the complex.

TheRoyalScam

OK, imagine for arguments sake I used the official CCFC website to link to a club statement to back a point I had made. What would your reaction be? Although, I'd imagine you're one of those who use the amusing term "offal".
I would read your article and follow the link - there's no hidden agenda I can assure you.

torchomatic

They should have been sent packing before they had a chance to look around. That's what a morally decent council would have done.

Yes, you would have thought a council would put its own teams first. What is now particularly laughable is Lucas saying she only agreed to the deal as she had been assured it would not have a detrimental affect on CCFC and CRFC.

Ian1779

Forget about Wasps for a minute. Describe Sisu's 'football approach' to me, if you can.....
We all know SISU's approach of quick win and out has spectacularly failed. It's not even up for discussion.

This is about franchise sport - and making excuses for Wasps is in itself inexcusable.

TheRoyalScam

To another location in the London vicinity.. fine.

To the midlands is too far and fundamentally wrong.

I don't think you understand how councils are bound to act - there's no way CCC could have sent them packing.

Tad

The irony meter is in overdrive tonight.
Indeed. Would you mind leaving? It'll drop right down then.

You seem to be under the delusion that the "football approach" is right. That says it all.

torchomatic

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/oct/09/wasps-coventry-move-london-fans-rugby-union

The club might hope they will have a better demographic in Coventry; well, good luck to them. Where are they going to magic up a group of supporters who care about them in the Midlands? To go and become just another club that has to compete with Gloucester and Northampton Saints for attention is absurd.

To be fair Wasps got it spot on. No other city would have given them such a warm welcome.

Ian1779

You seem to be under the delusion that the "football approach" is right. That says it all.

And what approach would you apply?

The abandon your roots and move 85 miles away for the fun of it approach?

TheRoyalScam

I just wish you had a clue what you were talking about.
Perhaps you could point me in the right direction and tell me exactly what I've said that's clueless.

Or you could stick to one line insults.

torchomatic

Do you mind me asking what your approach is then? You signed up to this forum a while ago, so presume you're a CCFC fan. What do you want to achieve by telling us in every post how great Wasps are? You are pleased they are here despite the detrimental impact on CCFC, the club you support? Is it a case of not caring as long as SISU get it?

torchomatic

I don't think you understand how councils are bound to act - there's no way CCC could have sent them packing.

That's got nothing to do with it. CCCs lack of morals is a different issue. Wasps did NOT have to move they HAD a choice.

TheRoyalScam

You are on here preaching to other people, surely you don't need pointing in any direction as you know?
Why not answer my question? You say you wished I had a clue about what i was talking about. What have I said that's 'clueless'?

Nick

Administrator
Why not answer my question? You say you wished I had a clue about what i was talking about. What have I said that's 'clueless'?

Well, you didn't seem to know that they had alternatives rather than move here, right next to their actual home?

It would be the same as CCFC having an offer from Cassidys to build a stadium and thrive to come back from Northampton, earn money from the hotel on site, but instead they move twice as far away.

Yet, for a change another person who is ranty and loves a sisu out / sixfields shout is on a ccfc forum justifying wasps move.

TheRoyalScam

That's got nothing to do with it. CCCs lack of morals is a different issue. Wasps did NOT have to move they HAD a choice.
A non sequitur if ever I read one - you said CCC should have sent them packing - Councils simply cannot act in this way.

Tad

Do you mind me asking what your approach is then? You signed up to this forum a while ago, so presume you're a CCFC fan. What do you want to achieve by telling us in every post how great Wasps are? You are pleased they are here despite the detrimental impact on CCFC, the club you support? Is it a case of not caring as long as SISU get it?

I've said no such thing. People seem to be deluded into thinking football is an exception to business, news flash. It isn't! Wasps have made a big move in order to make themselves better. Yes, it's turning their back on current fans, but they wouldn't have done it unless they really felt the need (like almost going bust). compare that to City, who have been handled by idiots. This is the reason things are going so wrong for City, not Wasps.

Wasps are doing the best they can to secure a good future for them and so should SISU. Again, they can't because they're incapable of running a club.

Ian1779

I've said no such thing. People seem to be deluded into thinking football is an exception to business, news flash. It isn't! Wasps have made a big move in order to make themselves better. Yes, it's turning their back on current fans, but they wouldn't have done it unless they really felt the need (like almost going bust). compare that to City, who have been handled by idiots. This is the reason things are going so wrong for City, not Wasps.

Sport is unique in the fact that it's stakeholders have that emotive connection to the club they support, as well as the community from which it originates.

This is why franchise sport is wrong - it's a betrayal of this fundamental principle.

Otis

I've seen people with Wasps gear on occasion, but matchdays only.
As I said a few days ago I see quite a few Wasps shirts around Coventry on my walkabouts.
Really? I've never really seen many. I saw 1 guy at Ryton Pools in a Wasps hat. (other than matchdays).

Yes there are around here.

Pretty mixed between CCFC and WASPS shirts around here.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

torchomatic

Wasps are doing the best they can to secure a good future for them and so should SISU. Again, they can't because they're incapable of running a club.

So, what you're saying is if a team makes a "big move" and gets away with it, i.e. with little fuss from the fans and welcomed by the city they're moving too then they are bettering themselves?

And you may not have seen my question but I take it you are a CCFC fan?

Grendel

They had to 'abandon their home', so your premise doesn't make any sense. Perhaps you could write it yourself. What have these Wasps got to do with my story exactly?

Why are you lying? Why do you gloat over the clubs misfortune.

We could do without "supporters" like you. Join the other freaks on the CET site.

Tad

Sport is unique in the fact that it's stakeholders have that emotive connection to the club they support, as well as the community from which it originates.

This is why franchise sport is wrong - it's a betrayal of this fundamental principle.

Nope. Franchises is the same as "emotive". They both want the club to do well, only for different reasons.

TheRoyalScam

Well, you didn't seem to know that they had alternatives rather than move here, right next to their actual home?

It would be the same as CCFC having an offer from Cassidys to build a stadium and thrive to come back from Northampton, earn money from the hotel on site, but instead they move twice as far away.

Yet, for a change another person who is ranty and loves a sisu out / sixfields shout is on a ccfc forum justifying wasps move.
Not being a fan of Wasps I'm no expert. I know they were looking at a new build on an old airport site that was turned down by their local council. However it's not my intention to 'justify' their move here, and I don't think I am. Whatever's happened has happened. Wasps took a business decision and followed it through. Our owners have failed. We are where we are because of our owners, not through Wasps.

Tad

So, what you're saying is if a team makes a "big move" and gets away with it, i.e. with little fuss from the fans and welcomed by the city they're moving too then they are bettering themselves?

And you may not have seen my question but I take it you are a CCFC fan?

Not always, but in this case, they clearly have. The attendance are higher, the support is better etc. It was risky, but they were nearly going bust in the last home and had to survive as a club.

I used to be a much bigger fan, but since 00s it's been a farce of a club. SISU pretty much killed my interest and in till they go I rarely take a look at them. It's just joke after another when I do.

stupot07

Because the club couldn't survive in their previous home. Their options were limited, they nearly went bust, they didn't have a permanent home, their local council and them couldn't make an agreement on a new stadium and worst of all, their support was small. It wasn't in till cups at the Ricoh they saw crowds for them increase dramatically and with situation with the Ricoh giving them more choice and freedom, they made the jump.
Joke of the day...hahahahaha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ian1779

As I understand it councils must act in the best interests of their citizens - they can't make decisions based on arguments such as yours.

Protecting a 100+ year sporting legacy of a city is worth more than a quick buck from London. CCFC will always bring more financially to the city as a whole than Wasps ever will.

Moff

[
The difference is, Wasps did it too grow beyond their limits in their previous home, SISU did it because they're a bunch of babies who tried to haggle after signing the agreement.

Is that grow beyond the limits of a stadium they couldn't fill in Wycombe?

Ian1779

The only club that outgrew its home, but when it 'fills' it's new home the majority are opposing fans..... :banghead:

Tad

*sigh*
Okay, speak to adults living in a football fantasy and get that response. I should have expected it.

Let me know when you decide to grow up.

Users who are viewing this thread