Corporate Season tickets/Executive boxes (1 Viewer)

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's not my argument, it's the clubs. They have talked about bigger and better companies in before.

We are also not as things stand a mid table championship team

But where are these companies? It's a ridiculous to suggest that the club's strategy for filling boxes is to rely on external businesses with zero affiliation with the area, city or club to take the majority up.

Also, one swallow doesn't make a summer. We're a mid-table Championship club and that will be reaffirmed once Gyokeres and Hamer are sold.

theferret

That's a great recipe for ever decreasing profit margins especially as unlike most businesses there is not a way to grow new business while keeping all the current customers at the current pricing.

I.e. there is only an finite number of boxes.

That's not what I said. Again, nobody has suggested prices should not have increased. The point being argued is that, against a backdrop of inevitable price rises, some gesture was made to those companies that have remained loyal over the years, maybe an incremental increase over 2 seasons. This is surely sensible as a long term strategy given these mythical corporate behemoths desperate to get their hands on a box at Coventry City would all run a mile if we were relegated.

skyblu3sk

But where are these companies? It's a ridiculous to suggest that the club's strategy for filling boxes is to rely on external businesses with zero affiliation with the area, city or club take the majority up.

Also, one swallow doesn't make a summer. We're a mid-table Championship club and that will be reaffirmed once Gyokeres and Hamer will be sold.
The fact is we finished in the top 6. What happens with Gyok and Hamer is yet to be seen and if they are sold how the fees are reinvested is yet to be seen. You aren't dealing in facts.

David O'Day

But where are these companies? It's a ridiculous to suggest that the club's strategy for filling boxes is to rely on external businesses with zero affiliation with the area, city or club take the majority up.

Also, one swallow doesn't make a summer. We're a mid-table Championship club and that will be reaffirmed once Gyokeres and Hamer will be sold.
I'm not suggesting it though mate, I am basically saying what DK has already said.

As someone said I get you are upset and emotional but we are not currently a mid table team.

djr8369

That's not what I said. Again, nobody has suggested prices should not have increased. The point being argued is that, against a backdrop of inevitable price rises, some gesture was made to those companies that have remained loyal over the years, maybe an incremental increase over 2 seasons. This is surely sensible as a long term strategy given these mythical corporate behemoths desperate to get their hands on a box at Coventry City would all run a mile if we were relegated.
In and ideal world I agree but when we desperately need to increase revenue to stem losses and the disparity with other clubs was so high you can understand they probably can’t wait 2 seasons and try and placate every existing customer.

KenilworthSkyBlue

The fact is we finished in the top 6. What happens with Gyok and Hamer is yet to be seen and if they are sold how the fees are reinvested is yet to be seen. You aren't dealing in facts.

So by definition, because we're a top 6 side last year, that automatically makes us a top 6 side for next season/the foreseeable.

Right, I'm the one not dealing with facts.

djr8369

But where are these companies? It's a ridiculous to suggest that the club's strategy for filling boxes is to rely on external businesses with zero affiliation with the area, city or club to take the majority up.

Also, one swallow doesn't make a summer. We're a mid-table Championship club and that will be reaffirmed once Gyokeres and Hamer are sold.
Is it ridiculous? Big businesses have things like this as a perk or to entertain clients. Would the corporate clientele at most championship clubs be mainly local SMEs?

Ccfcisparks

So by definition, because we're a top 6 side last year, that automatically makes us a top 6 side for next season/the foreseeable.

It’s more of a sane argument than we are a mid table club because we might lose some players and have a worse season. There’s just as much evidence that we could be an automatic premonition club.

theferret

I would suggest it’s a fairly small revenue source.

Well I would suggest you're wrong. If you're talking boxes only, and there are around 30, it is significant enough; but we're talking about corporate generally, and there are 1500 people potentially, some paying up to £2000 with no concessions. Overall, revenues from corporate hospitality are very significant.

David O'Day

We can't afford to do that if we can a decent side we have to increase revenue.

We'll sell enough boxes to at least make up the box price revenue for last season

skyblu3sk

I'm not saying that but the fact is we are a top 6 side as of last season. There is way too much transfer business to happen before either of us could say otherwise. If we decided to risk it and not sell hamer or vik you'd argue we'd have to be seen as top 6 again.

theferret

I work for a global financial institute and stuff like this is a drop in the ocean to them and they are always buying things like this to entertain clients and staff

Big businesses buy boxes at Old Trafford, the 02 Arena or the Oval. They don't get a poxy little converted hotel room at Coventry City, unless there is a strong local connection.

If they did, Birmingham City, who have been in the championship forever, would not be knocking out corporate boxes for £11K a season.

djr8369

The point was it’s a fact we finished top 6. Where we finish next season is a hypothetical.

The club aren’t going to market boxes saying “well we overachieved last season and are probably a midtable team.”

David O'Day

how much were the boxes last year? 7500? 30x7500 is £225000. Say we sold 12000 normal season tickets and lets put an average price of £300 per ticket on those (to account for kids and JSB tickets). This would mean we would raise £3600000 in ST sales. This would put box revenue at 6.25% of the revenue raised by STs

Also we would need to then sell 9 of the 30 boxes to recoup the same revenue as last year.

pusbccfc

Big businesses buy boxes at Old Trafford, the 02 Arena or the Oval. They don't get a poxy little converted hotel room at Coventry City, unless there is a strong local connection.

If they did, Birmingham City, who have been in the championship forever, would not be knocking out corporate boxes for £11K a season.

The 10 seater box at Birmingham is far worse than what we offer.

David O'Day

You keep mentioning BCFC, they are a financial basketcase so they are not the best examples of good practice.

theferret

Ok, how much did the boxes bring in and what was that as a percentage of season ticket sales then?

I've seen it said that the average season ticket value last season, owing to all the concessions, was around £220 (£183 less VAT), so around £2.5 million in total.

Boxes on their own would have been more than 10% of that, but adding other corporate ST sales, it would be way over 20%.

pusbccfc

not boxes but i have been corporate to 5 or 6 championship teams, and ours is amongst the best of those

I think the general service is slightly below par but the top tier boxes are incredible. It's got to be the best view in the Championship.

skyblu3sk

I've seen it said that the average season ticket value last season, owing to all the concessions, was around £220 (£183 less VAT), so around £2.5 million in total.

Boxes on their own would have been more than 10% of that, but adding other corporate ST sales, it would be way over 20%.
So still only a 1/5th of match day income.

David O'Day

30x7500 is 225000 so less than 10% of 2500000

mmttww

so it’s gone from making more money to now trying to match last years revenue while in the meantime making many of the corporate fan’s disgruntled.
Like the other poster, I get your point of view, but "many" in this context is close to single figures. If the club back themselves to find 20-30 takers for the boxes, I'm with the club. Having a relative handful of folks that can't keep having something they probably knew they were getting on the cheap isn't a big issue in the grand scheme of things, and it doesn't make me think they've lost their focus.

lordy_87

You'd imagine that King/the club will have a rough idea of how many they'll sell at this price and that it's been thought through. Can't imagine he'd just lump the price up by 18k like it's nothing to worry about.
(And before anyone pipes up yes I am aware he did U-turn slightly on season tickets)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

There’s obviously some merit to the prices given that most championship clubs have their boxes on offer for similar price - indeed you could level the same comments to Bristol who are similar size and offer their boxes for 50k plus, or Preston who again offer them at 25k as do Blackburn

Johnnythespider

Quick question, sorry if it's already been asked, would those who have had a box but won't renew take one for £1100 as a one off ?, just thinking this might be the route the club take with any unsold boxes.

David O'Day

There’s obviously some merit to the prices given that most championship clubs have their boxes on offer for similar price - indeed you could level the same comments to Bristol who are similar size and offer their boxes for 50k plus, or Preston who again offer them at 25k as do Blackburn
I think people will be pleasantly surprised on the take up

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

As a now definitive ex-boxholder, I do get the point that prices had to go up. Expected them to be around double if I’m honest, which would have been ballpark £15k+VAT. It’s a colossal jump and I think it’d have worked better to split it over 2 seasons. The challenge they now have is that ‘if’ they don’t sell well there is a huge range of where the optimal price-point sits. Hope they manage to sell them at the inflated price. Not ideal that Premier League package is now closed as well (not that I was taking it up anyway).
If they sell then it's a decent strategy and would likely see the prices rise again the season after. If they don't then it's information for how much they may need to lower the following season's price.

Although there is apparently a waiting list, it's quite possible a number of them will not be willing to pay the much higher price and that waiting list completely disappears.

Users who are viewing this thread