Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (33 Viewers)

SkyBlueDom26

Government doing loads again for jobs and the economy, will wait for the usual suspects on here to complain about it

shmmeee

Government doing loads again for jobs and the economy, will wait for the usual suspects on here to complain about it

What are they doing exactly? All I’ve seen is 0.2% capital spending (ten times less than similar countries), maybe a £500 voucher (decent idea), and a u-turn on the cancellation of Gordon Browns home improvement program.

clint van damme

Still won't admit to their care home fuck up though. Absolutely scandalous.
But as you've proven time and again, you're more bothered about the economy than peoples lives.

King of the Lesbians

Evidence I’ve seen says masks work, Asian countries swear by them after experience with pandemics. Can’t see why they wouldn’t work.
I've seen a fair few bands/shows launching their own face masks with their own branding on.
A lot of them seem to come with the following disclaimer...

"Masks are not medical grade and are not intended to prevent COVID-19 or any other disease. Please follow CDC guidelines to help protect yourself and others from contracting and spreading COVID-19."

...so the masks have to be the right masks obviously.

David O'Day

What are they doing exactly? All I’ve seen is 0.2% capital spending (ten times less than similar countries), maybe a £500 voucher (decent idea), and a u-turn on the cancellation of Gordon Browns home improvement program.

Exactly they are farting around the edges and not doing enough.

Dom is thick as pigshit though so I wouldn't take anything he says as serious.

David O'Day

VAT cuts don't really work either and there's an unneeded stamp duty cut.

Nothing will really create or save jobs in there.

Basically they have kicked the can down the road

clint van damme

VAT cuts don't really work either and there's an unneeded stamp duty cut.

Nothing will really create or save jobs in there.

Basically they have kicked the can down the road

the last VAT cut was a waste of time.
The QE they introduced in America, insulating and upgrading public buildings that sort of thing, was a far better idea in my opinion and will have benefits for years to come.
Johnsons hinted a something similar here but he hints at a lot of things the blustering fuck wit.

SkyBlueDom26

the last VAT cut was a waste of time.
The QE they introduced in America, insulating and upgrading public buildings that sort of thing, was a far better idea in my opinion and will have benefits for years to come.
Johnsons hinted a something similar here but he hints at a lot of things the blustering fuck wit.
Fuck all about all the measures announced today though ennit, just moaning

David O'Day

Only one that’s as thick as pigshit is yourself, daft bastard

Explain to me who 0.2% GDP spending will make any difference?

How does cutting the price of drinks via VAT going to help even if it is passed on to people when people are reluctant to go to pubs etc when they see them as not being safe?

How does paying a small part of people who were formerly furloughed when the employers can't afford to pay them anyway?

How does a watered down version of the future job scheme help? All it will be is cheap/free labour for large companies and the young person back on the dole when the placement ends?

How is doing a fraction of what other countries are doing going to help?

All this means is we will be in a worse place come the autumn statement.

It's not new, it's not bold and it's not enough

SBAndy

Pretty underwhelming announcement all things considered.

The VAT cut is a marginal help, essentially a 12.5% price cut for hospitality and leisure. Is that going to spur people on to go away/go out? Who knows. Nice offer but is it significant enough?

Bonus for employers bringing their staff back from furlough. Really don’t understand this and it’s a ‘further down the line’ measure. Is the incentive of a bonus in 6 months’ time sufficient to guard against potential cash flow issues in the interim?

Stamp duty exemption is somewhat unnecessary. The property market is as liquid as it has been in the last 5 years.

Offering 50% off meals out (up to £10) Monday - Wednesday is a positive as these are the times hospitality is most likely to struggle. See how that goes.

Some marginal demand-side stimulus there but for all the reports I was expecting far more.

fernandopartridge

It's not very imaginative but Labour's response is worse, Annelise Dodds asking "how it would be paid for", now, she might be trying to highlight the hypocrisy of the party that coined the 'magic money tree' term, but wouldn't it be better to make a statement more akin to 'Now the chancellor appears to recognise that there are not actually any constraints on the sovereign currency issuer's ability to spend, will he consider redressing the balance of decades of disinvestment in the following...'

David O'Day

It's not very imaginative but Labour's response is worse, Annelise Dodds asking "how it would be paid for", now, she might be trying to highlight the hypocrisy of the party that coined the 'magic money tree' term, but wouldn't it be better to make a statement more akin to 'Now the chancellor appears to recognise that there are not actually any constraints on the sovereign currency issuer's ability to spend, will he consider redressing the balance of decades of disinvestment in the following...'

I thought she did a good job on pointing out that this is not going to help and all the big decisions will need to be made in the autumn statement

David O'Day

This is something that has confused me as well

If you can't afford to keep your staff on you aren't going to keep them on for months paying them to get a grand back in January.

You are are going to give a nice little bonus to the larger companies that can afford to keep their staff on anyway.

Ian1779

Sunak hadn’t even finished the sentence about stamp duty and the wife wants to move again.

Is this a good time to sell and upsize or would holding off be better.... any advice would be welcome which I can then pretend were all my own thoughts!

jimmyhillsfanclub

Sunak hadn’t even finished the sentence about stamp duty and the wife wants to move again.

Is this a good time to sell and upsize or would holding off be better.... any advice would be welcome which I can then pretend were all my own thoughts!

Personally, I think you'll be catching a falling knife buying in the next 12 months or so.....

NorthernWisdom

I have no idea, and wish I did! Before all this kicked off, the plan was to move closer to mrs. Wisdom's work and, with all that's going on, in many ways that's more imperative now (who wants to go on a lengthy train journey now!). But who knows what's around the corner..

Ring Of Steel

I have no idea, and wish I did! Before all this kicked off, the plan was to move closer to mrs. Wisdom's work and, with all that's going on, in many ways that's more imperative now (who wants to go on a lengthy train journey now!). But who knows what's around the corner..

I would very tentatively suggest that now would be a lot better than 12 months from now

shmmeee

Market is funny right now. Talking to my mortgage broker the other week and they were saying the lenders expect a crash and are tightening up lending guidelines expecting more equity to cover this crash. Doesn’t help you as you’re buying and selling in the same market not looking to invest (or like me squeaking onto the ladder with just enough for a 10% deposit).

There’s clearly a bit of pent up demand right now and I’ve had several offers of asking price rejected whereas a month ago the U.K. average sale was 97% of asking. I suspect people are both sick of their house and many now need WFH space. Which might inflate certain segments of the market.

When I asked my property investor boss about this his advice was “never worry about the market if you’re buying to live in it”.

chiefdave

The VAT cut is a marginal help, essentially a 12.5% price cut for hospitality and leisure. Is that going to spur people on to go away/go out? Who knows. Nice offer but is it significant enough?
How many places won't pass the cut on to the consumer but will use the higher rate coming back in as an excuse to hike prices up?

David O'Day

How many places won't pass the cut on to the consumer but will use the higher rate coming back in as an excuse to hike prices up?

It appears it may only be on food so any pubs that's biggest markets are drink will not benefit, so that's saturday night bars and old man pubs.

Users who are viewing this thread