Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (35 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

You would think by then more people are getting normal colds, immune systems are down and then schools are probably going to be back then.
Exactly, it could be carnage with a) people having to be off at the slightest hint of an illness and b) us being more susceptible to nasty killer viruses anyway.

Could be fun times(!)

Nick

Administrator
one of my colleagues who has been on furlough has just come in to collect his belongings prior to leaving the company.
His wife works in a mental health nurse and I said I bet she's been busy and he said not at the moment but they're expecting an 'avalanche' over the next few months.

Have there been any suicide stats released or anything?

With being stuck in, the loss of "releases" like the gym, football, fitness it will really hit people hard.

clint van damme

With being stuck in, the loss of "releases" like the gym, football, fitness it will really hit people hard.

no idea about stats, it just came up i a catch up conversation.

Skybluefaz

I heard 200% increase although I can't remember where from so forgive me if I'm massively wrong, but it does seem like a perfect storm for suicides if you forgive the turn of phrase

skybluesam66

so you would expect much fewer cold and flu cases this winter, due to us being much more aware of virus transmission and social distancing
Also i assume people will not be allowed in the workplace if they have any cold like symptoms also on public transport

if we can keep Covid under control at the same time, we could see deaths much lower than usual in the next 12 months

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

so you would expect much fewer cold and flu cases this winter, due to us being much more aware of virus transmission and social distancing
Also i assume people will not be allowed in the workplace if they have any cold like symptoms also on public transport

if we can keep Covid under control at the same time, we could see deaths much lower than usual in the next 12 months
Apart from the fact we've disinfected the hell out of everything, and we haven't been around people full stop, so we'll catch every bug known to man as soon as we're within touching distance of another human being.

hill83

Apart from the fact we've disinfected the hell out of everything, and we haven't been around people full stop, so we'll catch every bug known to man as soon as we're within touching distance of another human being.

I’m normally bad for picking up colds and coughs etc but since having what I suspect was Covid in March into April I’ve had nothing. But I’ve not been anywhere. Used to be in the pub milling around people every week.

skybluetony176

I don’t know about total deaths but it did cross my mind that deaths from seasonal flu may drop as a result of social distancing, wearing face masks etc. Couple that with more people getting seasonal flu jabs than normal. Me for instance. I’m supposed to have a flu jab every year as I have asthma, they send me a letter every year and I always ignore them. In fact I’ve only ever had it once in my life and that was because one of the kids had an appointment with the nurse practitioner and she had me cornered. Not this year though, because of Covid I’ll be making sure I get the flu jab, I’ll be asking about the pneumonia jab too. Talking to a mate who’s the same age as me with asthma he’s never had it either as he’s always ignored the letters and again he’s said that he’s going to make sure he gets it this year because of Covid. I bet there’s many people (especially men) doing the same, wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a record take up on flu jabs this year.
There’s also the other reason flu deaths will be down. The government’s already killed of a large number of the population that’s vulnerable to seasonal flu through their mismanagement of Covid.

hill83

I always bottle the flu jab because I’m an absolute fanny when it comes to needles. We can get them at work as well.

fernandopartridge

I’m normally bad for picking up colds and coughs etc but since having what I suspect was Covid in March into April I’ve had nothing. But I’ve not been anywhere. Used to be in the pub milling around people every week.

I was wondering what the prevalence of cold and flu had been like post lockdown. I don't tend to get much of it myself, but social distancing is obviously key as my two year old hasn't had anything at all and toddlers are usually always snotty.

shmmeee

I wonder if everyone buying masks will mean they’ve got the around and wear them next time they’re ill or just around flu season anyway. Would be nice if better contagious disease hygiene was a by product of all this.

BornSlippySkyBlue

I always bottle the flu jab because I’m an absolute fanny when it comes to needles. We can get them at work as well.
I get it every year (along with plenty of other injections) and can honestly say that in the majority of cases you hardly even feel the flu jab. It’s a tiny needle in the top of your arm.

Just pray you never need a lumbar puncture because that hurts like a bitch.

hill83

I get it every year (along with plenty of other injections) and can honestly say that in the majority of cases you hardly even feel the flu jab. It’s a tiny needle in the top of your arm.

I’m convinced it’s a mental issue from when I was 4. I had meningitis and was getting injected about 10 times a day for 3 weeks. Need to pull my finger out and do it though.

fernandopartridge

I wonder if everyone buying masks will mean they’ve got the around and wear them next time they’re ill or just around flu season anyway. Would be nice if better contagious disease hygiene was a by product of all this.

I've bought some from a woman who makes them around here. I went shopping last night and bar one other person was the only one in the store wearing one. I've yet to see an over 60 year old wearing one.

NorthernWisdom

I've bought some from a woman who makes them around here.
Same for me. Where my parents live, a woman is making masks and donating the cash to the NHS, so that seems win/win, if tokenistic.

(I do appreciate it's not some random woman from a Warwickshire village's job to fund the NHS!)

As an aside, I've asked for us to ask people to wear masks in the public facing areas where I work. I've been told no, but I'm welcome to wear one. Doesn't help me much, that!

Monners

Or indeed injections in the eyeballs, which I have on a regular basis

hill83

Or indeed injections in the eyeballs, which I have on a regular basis

giphy.gif

Sumo the Micky Quinn

So the latest info here in Fuerteventura.

If you are going on holiday, people dropping you off will not be allowed in the terminal building. At all times in the terminal building and all times whilst on board your flight you will need to wear a mask. If you need the toilet on board your flight, you no longer queue to use it, you have to buzz a crew member who will let you know when it's free to use.

When landed here you will have to fill in a compulsory Information sheet. This is to give details mainly of where you are staying, just incase one of your fellow passengers fall ill, they can then contact you and maybe recommend you go into quarentine.

Whilst around the island its compulsory to wear a mask in all indoor public spaces, such as shops. Out in the street you dont need to wear one if you can maintain a distance of 1.5m. However I've had people shoulder barge me in the street, obviously less than 1.5m when passing, they were not wearing a mask.

I have also noticed the people not wearing masks here are the small amount of tourists that have arrived. However the police can fine you if you are not carrying a mask on the street. You do not need to wear a mask whilst eating and drinking in a public bar/restaurant, but you need to wear one if going upto the bar or going to the toilet.

Hotels can open as all inclusive, but buffet bars are now no longer self service. Bars are not allowed to have menus that can be handled, most are displaying them on large display boards.

Around the pool the sun beds are to be spaced out. Meaning at busy times you may have to book your sun bed, you will not be able to use it all day, same will apply on the beach.

Last edited:

shmmeee

The majority of positive cases are pillar 2 which is people out in the community, given that they processed 19k tests and it is 2 tests per individual, that means they're testing around 9k people under that pillar. Roughly 4% positive.

How does that compare to earlier in the pandemic?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Unbelievably angry (but not surprised) at Johnson trying to defelct blame onto care homes. His govt made the rules so that they couldn't refuse untested patients. They created the PPE crisis. Now I've no doubt there will be cracks in their procedures that could let it in but the biggest risks have been created by govt.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Also see Bolsonaro of Brazil now has it.

Obviously I want him to get better but I wouldn't mind if karma meant he got quite a bad dose of it giving his bragging over how it wouldn't affect him.

clint van damme

Also see Bolsonaro of Brazil now has it.

Obviously I want him to get better but I wouldn't mind if karma meant he got quite a bad dose of it giving his bragging over how it wouldn't affect him.

I don't want him to get better. People can get on their high horse about that comment if they want but the world would be better off without him. I hope he dies.

His policies, or lack of them, have been responsible for potentially hundreds of thousands of people getting covid and his reaction has been to not give a single fuck.

He's embraced facism and he's allowed a big ramp up in the destruction of the Amazon. World would be better off without him.

Users who are viewing this thread