Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

shmmeee

Really strange. He's arguing over the semantics of lockdown because if he doesn't his condescending reply to my original post has no merit. The ridiculous thing is I didn't even use the term "lockdown" I asked what social distancing measures might remain in place while opening the economy back up.

He's manufactured an argument from nothing, painted himself into a corner, and now can't retreat from it. Basically he's done a Grendel.

He did the same with the graph. The guy has some serious issues around accepting when he’s wrong and is permanently angry. He’s basically a left wing Grendel with slightly more brains.

Flying Fokker

My area:

Quieter nights, more people walking, people talking to each other from the other side of the road.

i liooked out yesterday and there were four different conversations going on. Add the families and people walking it was like a scene out of a musical!

The park is fairly busy with people who seem to be really happy at a distance of course. Dogs are the only ones breaking the social distancing rules.

Young people in groups....Don’t get it.

On the roads. Cyclists doing their MAMIL thing as normal. Family’s cycling. You’ve got to be out there to see that social distancing is working.

It must look different in London but surely most of the people are doing similar to us?

I work three days. Social distancing is nigh on impossible and I’ve had to go places I simply do not want to go to even at ‘Normal’ times.

Gazolba

China and the origins of the Covid-19 virus:

skyblue1991

The rules are virtually the same: no non essential travel, non essential shops closed, gatherings banned, schools closed. The only real difference is that we haven’t tried to enforce it. But it’s a lockdown. Some are tighter than others but that doesn’t stop it being a lockdown. There are laws restricting when you’re allowed to leave your house that didn’t exist before. That’s lockdown. That’s what it is.

I don’t think chihuahuas count as full dogs, but they are.
We haven't enforced it I agree.

The question is if we are classed as a lockdown compared to Spain and Italy why haven't we enforced it?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

djr8369

He did the same with the graph. The guy has some serious issues around accepting when he’s wrong and is permanently angry. He’s basically a left wing Grendel with slightly more brains.

My thoughts exactly. Certainly seem like two sides of the same coin.

Sick Boy

The rules are virtually the same: no non essential travel, non essential shops closed, gatherings banned, schools closed. The only real difference is that we haven’t tried to enforce it. But it’s a lockdown. Some are tighter than others but that doesn’t stop it being a lockdown. There are laws restricting when you’re allowed to leave your house that didn’t exist before. That’s lockdown. That’s what it is.

I don’t think chihuahuas count as full dogs, but they are.
The rules are not virtually the same at all and are much stricter here and in Spain, and that is not taking enforecement into account.

djr8369

We haven't enforced it I agree.

The question is if we are classed as a lockdown compared to Spain and Italy why haven't we enforced it?

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

I think it's all about the government strategy and is influenced by ideology.

The whole approach is very hands off. Trying to get the nation to do something while not mandating much of it or being too restrictive. They're very careful with language and terminology. There seems to be a lot of nudge theory going on. I fee like they are relying a lot on the public observing what's going on around the world and getting things from the media while they stick to saying "stay home, save the NHS, save lives" (but go to work if you can't work from home).

I think it's largely driven from the 'small state' mindset and not wanting to upset the back benchers.

Sick Boy

What's different?
You can only go outside for exercise within 200 meters of your house (alone) - this has only been allowed within the last couple of weeks
No driving around together in cars and then you can only go to work or to food shopping if you do not have a supermarket within walking distance
No driving to do exercise
Wearing a mask and gloves in public at all times

djr8369

You can only go outside for exercise within 200 meters of your house (alone) - this has only been allowed within the last couple of weeks
No driving around together in cars and then you can only go to work or to food shopping if you do not have a supermarket within walking distance
No driving to do exercise
Wearing a mask and gloves in public at all times

Aside from the 200 m rule and the PPE (which is only because we don't have enough, the government are slowly changing position to reflect the stance of other nations - how many times has that happened during this crisis?) that's no different to here. It all comes under the "non-essential journeys" bit. So, we're not supposed to drive for exercise and people were fined for doing so in the last few weeks. There has been a bit of a walk back on that this week though.

See what some people are getting at? Essentially the same thing while not really enforcing it. In a way it's quite a smart move by the government but it's frustrating as people are confused and there is constant discussion in the media about what you can and can't do and sometimes shaming people for things that are tecnically allowed.

Sick Boy

Aside from the 200 m rule and the PPE (which is only because we don't have enough, the government are slowly changing position to reflect the stance of other nations - how many times has that happened during this crisis?) that's no different to here. It all comes under the "non-essential journeys" bit. So, we're not supposed to drive for exercise and people were fined for doing so in the last few weeks. There has been a bit of a walk back on that this week though.

See what some people are getting at? Essentially the same thing while not really enforcing it. In a way it's quite a smart move by the government but it's frustrating as people are confused and there is constant discussion in the media about what you can and can't do and sometimes shaming people for things that are tecnically allowed.
I see what you/others are getting at but the 200m rule is a big one though and seeing pictures of people running and exercising in public places is very, very different.

djr8369

I see what you/others are getting at but the 200m rule is a big one though and seeing pictures of people running and exercising in public places is very, very different.

I can understand that mentally that makes a big difference. Since the "lockdown" started all I have done is driven to work, walk the dog a few blocks and walked to the local shop. Occasionally I will walk the dog to memorial park. So almost the same effect has been achieved by our government. The only thing I could do differently to that is drive to a supermarket or walk a bit further.

Sick Boy

I can understand that mentally that makes a big difference. Since the "lockdown" started all I have done is driven to work, walk the dog a few blocks and walked to the local shop. Occasionally I will walk the dog to memorial park. So almost the same effect has been achieved by our government. The only thing I could do differently to that is drive to a supermarket or walk a bit further.
Yes but up until a couple of weeks ago it was not even possible to leave the house for exercise. It was possible to walk to the local shop but you had to carry a declaration form too.

djr8369

Italian lessons: what we've learned from two months of home schooling

Quite an interesting essay on home schooling children in Italy. As somebody who mostly found school very restrictive and uninspiring but in later life have looked at education completely differently through doing an Open Uni degree I can relate to some of the comments on how education can be modernised and facilitated in ways that can bring much more out of personalities who don't fit well into the traditional school system.

shmmeee

You’re only supposed to be “local” here, that’s the official guidance. It’s just not enforced.

The point is that any restrictions on when you can leave your house are a lockdown. Some are stricter than others but they’re all lockdowns. A lockdown is a restriction on leaving an area. We are restricted. We are in lockdown.

This has to be up there as one of the stupider arguments I’ve had on this site.

shmmeee

Quite an interesting essay on home schooling children in Italy. As somebody who mostly found school very restrictive and uninspiring but in later life have looked at education completely differently through doing an Open Uni degree I can relate to some of the comments on how education can be modernised and facilitated in ways that can bring much more out of personalities who don't fit well into the traditional school system.

Yeah it’s easy to differentiate to that level when you’ve got class sizes of 1-3 TBF.

It’s not like teachers don’t want to do this stuff but the primary aim of schools as childcare centres and exam factories to get good numbers for politicians take priority. The biggest issue is simply staffing and timetabling. I remember talking to a Maths teacher about stage not age and the practical realities of implementing it.

The Tories have put the move towards a sensible education system into reverse the last ten years but there were hopes to move it towards more personalised, passion led learning and less rote sausage factory stuff.

djr8369

Yeah it’s easy to differentiate to that level when you’ve got class sizes of 1-3 TBF.

It’s not like teachers don’t want to do this stuff but the primary aim of schools as childcare centres and exam factories to get good numbers for politicians take priority. The biggest issue is simply staffing and timetabling. I remember talking to a Maths teacher about stage not age and the practical realities of implementing it.

The Tories have put the move towards a sensible education system into reverse the last ten years but there were hopes to move it towards more personalised, passion led learning and less rote sausage factory stuff.

I can't offer much back on your points as my perspective is only as a student but the media coverage over the last few years on testing and metrics is worrying and as I said, the traditional school system and methods clearly don't cater for some personality types (I'm sure that's improved somewhat since I left school) and the rise of the internet must have helped.

Reading that essay it's interesting how the pandemic is forcing adaption to more modern methods and you can see similar trends elsewhere. I think it is going to have an accelerating affect on many technology trends.

Sick Boy

You’re only supposed to be “local” here, that’s the official guidance. It’s just not enforced.

The point is that any restrictions on when you can leave your house are a lockdown. Some are stricter than others but they’re all lockdowns. A lockdown is a restriction on leaving an area. We are restricted. We are in lockdown.

This has to be up there as one of the stupider arguments I’ve had on this site.
That is actually quite an honour :D

Sick Boy

Thanks will take a look later, I was the same at school and left at 16 with next to no qualifications but then ended up with 4 As at A-Level 5 years later.

Nick

Administrator
The latest thing by me seems to be who loves the NHS more and can get the biggest rainbow outside their house.

This is pretty embarrassing really

it seems social distancing and staying in is selective and doesn't apply as long as you are going over the top to say you love the NHS most. Let's get some paramedics to gather on a bridge without any PPE while the public all mingle on there filming themselves.

The guy with the mask around his neck blowing the horn is a highlight, kind of defeats the object.

It's all about putting on a show and people going to film and be part of it to post on social media.

Then people wonder why it's still spreading.

EVymVy2WAAEWQBS

EWWztm3WkAIft3K

Thats it mate, push all of your germs out into a crowd.

Have a couple of mates round your house and you will get the police kicking your door in and the media witchunt.

shmmeee

I can't offer much back on your points as my perspective is only as a student but the media coverage over the last few years on testing and metrics is worrying and as I said, the traditional school system and methods clearly don't cater for some personality types (I'm sure that's improved somewhat since I left school) and the rise of the internet must have helped.

Reading that essay it's interesting how the pandemic is forcing adaption to more modern methods and you can see similar trends elsewhere. I think it is going to have an accelerating affect on many technology trends.

The fundamental problem with education is two fold IMO:

1) everyone went to school so every politician has got an opinion and no one want to leave it to the educationalists (also it’s not a solved problem so there’s lots of different views)

2) It’s a 20+ year system and we have 5 year terms. So governments want something to show the electorate they’ve had an impact within 5 years and testing of both schools and kids does that for them.

And maybe:

3) It costs a lot and probably should cost more if we were to get it up to private school levels of class sizes and extra curricular resources, plus it has to cope with the fallout of bad health, police, social policies while also educating.

I used to be tasked with tech in classrooms and while there’s some great stuff, the problem really is the teachers knowledge and the equipment to do it. There’s no reason to be carting dead trees everywhere for a start. But until every kid has a laptop and ideally one with a stylus, it’s the only way to do things.

Nick

Administrator
The paramedics are literally mingling with the public

EWUvNCkXgAMzD4M

Why are the NHS and Police encouraging and allowing this shit? They might get some likes on social media and their faces on the news.

Maybe the police chief can sort it, oh wait.

EWTvKAQXkAAWeQy

Is it any wonder people are getting pissed off and going back to work?

shmmeee

The paramedics are literally mingling with the public

EWUvNCkXgAMzD4M

Why are the NHS and Police encouraging and allowing this shit? They might get some likes on social media and their faces on the news.

Isn’t all that illegal?

Is it me or have we randomly decided recently to fuck off the whole social distancing thing? Roads seem busier, people less careful in shops, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us start to climb again in a week or so when this catches up to hospitalisations.

Nick

Administrator
Isn’t all that illegal?

Is it me or have we randomly decided recently to fuck off the whole social distancing thing? Roads seem busier, people less careful in shops, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us start to climb again in a week or so when this catches up to hospitalisations.

It seems that it isn't if it means it is Thursday at 8pm.

When you have the head of the police in London, paramedics from the NHS and police vans there. It isn't going to set an example to a bloke who wants to have a couple of mates he knows round for a BBQ is it?

I look forward to the pricks like Piers Morgan to go apeshit about it like he does when the people stand too close to each other at the press conferences.

CCFCSteve

Isn’t all that illegal?

It does appear to be waning a little (which is why timing of its implementation was so important)

By and large I’d imagine a majority of the population are still following social distancing so it would be disappointing to see a climb in numbers on the back of groups of idiots queuing for a five guys burger !

Ps heard Ireland’s the same though which has led to an increase in cases over

Nick

Administrator
It does appear to be waning a little (which is why timing of its implementation was so important)

By and large I’d imagine a majority of the population are still following social distancing so it would be disappointing to see a climb in numbers on the back of groups of idiots queuing for a five guys burger !

It all filters down doesn't it? People will see the media coverage of hundreds of people on a bridge talking to paramedics and police with no action and think Fuck it and start going out more.

It's the "IF they can do it, why am I sat in?" type stuff and they have a point. If the police and NHS are setting bad examples, why is somebody who's self employed going to struggle? They won't.

Yet if there's footage of 2 people sat on a beach surrounded by nobody at all you have all the cnuts shouting about them being evil granny killers.

wingy

Again I wonder whether the media's incessant desire for exit plan info is diluting the message .
Just as the Gov't have suggested it may.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm going to show sympathy here and assume he's metaphorically meaning vaccine acts like a disinfectant.

The full quote shows he’s talking about injecting it into people, along with exposing UV radiation into affected body parts

clint van damme

It all filters down doesn't it? People will see the media coverage of hundreds of people on a bridge talking to paramedics and police with no action and think Fuck it and start going out more.

It's the "IF they can do it, why am I sat in?" type stuff and they have a point. If the police and NHS are setting bad examples, why is somebody who's self employed going to struggle? They won't.

Yet if there's footage of 2 people sat on a beach surrounded by nobody at all you have all the cnuts shouting about them being evil granny killers.

I agree but one of the pictures from 'last night' is from last week. It's almost as if there's an agenda to get people frothing about this.
Not that it's an acceptable example whenever it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread