Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (10 Viewers)

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
This crisis I’ve started respecting Piers Morgan and wishing we had Christian Democrat Merkel in charge as a left wing atheist.

It’s all a little disturbing.
Don't you like Atheists?

Reactions: wingy

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
Three things today

1-USA now exporting infected Guatemalans so that the poorer country can suffer. Great well done trump
2- heartfelt apology from eu to Italy. Beautiful and necessary they were let down and our leaders can’t apologise for letting old people back in homes to infect and kill their friends.
3- video of Angela merkel talking science about infection rates and health care

Some excellent Leadership out there and still some very poor

She’s a bright lady, Merkel. Think she’s got some kind of degree/doctorate in science. One of the few world leaders who commands respect

ps whilst I’m sure the apology was genuine/heartfelt, the EU had no choice Pete. The immediate reaction of the individual nations was not what you would expect. It will be interesting to see how it’s received

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
Coventry, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

taking it down to "simple" numbers to show how small the margins are and the reasoning behind the concepts of isolation/groupings/distancing

I do think this is what you get when you elect someone intelligent who is clearly across the detail.

We must’ve had the two stupidest candidates for PM in history to choose from last election. I hope it never happens again.

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
She’s a bright lady, Merkel. Think she’s got some kind of degree/doctorate in science. One of the few world leaders who commands respect

ps whilst I’m sure the apology was genuine/heartfelt, the EU had no choice Pete. The immediate reaction of the individual nations was not what you would expect. It will be interesting to see how it’s received
The apology was for not sending PPE to Italy that had been ordered but kept for their own people. But Germany and France doing such a thing hasn't hit the news that much. Shows how hard it has been to purchase such items.

Reactions: Sky Blue Pete

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
I do think this is what you get when you elect someone intelligent who is clearly across the detail.

We must’ve had the two stupidest candidates for PM in history to choose from last election. I hope it never happens again.

To be fair to Johnson, for all his faults he’s no idiot. Unfortunately I find he never conveys his points clearly (poor delivery style but that’s just him as an individual I guess)

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria

Two leaders of parties not fit to run the UK but an electorate that also tried to make out they were noth the man for the job.

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
To be fair to Johnson, for all his faults he’s no idiot. Unfortunately I find he never conveys his points clearly (poor delivery style but that’s just him as an individual I guess)
The bloke is a fool.

It is only the situation we found ourselves in that gave him the chance of becoming PM.

Reactions: Sick Boy

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
I’ve seen no evidence Johnson is smart. His academic performance has generally been poor considering his background and he’s got where he is because he’s charismatic rather than through talent. He’s also failed in pretty much every job he’s had and in politics has always relied on the team around him to do the actual work.

He’s generally shown a poor understanding of technical issues and even on things he’s supposed to be into like history has a habit of not doing the leg work and making basic factual errors.

Reactions: Sky_Blue_Dreamer

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
Depends in what circumstances. He's obviously good at positioning himself, and his brand.

Not so sure you can call him wise and thoughtful, however!

Haha, no, I’d also choose my words a carefully when it comes to Johnson ! I was just saying he’s not stupid

CCFCSteve

Aug 11, 2011
I’ve seen no evidence Johnson is smart. His academic performance has generally been poor considering his background and he’s got where he is because he’s charismatic rather than through talent.

He’s generally shown a poor understanding of technical issues and even on things he’s supposed to be into like history has a habit of not doing the leg work and making basic factual errors.

I wouldn’t say poor academic performance (I wouldn’t mind having a 2:1 from Oxford) but each to their own. Just wouldn’t class him as stupid personally

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
I’ve seen no evidence Johnson is smart. His academic performance has generally been poor considering his background and he’s got where he is because he’s charismatic rather than through talent. He’s also failed in pretty much every job he’s had and in politics has always relied on the team around him to do the actual work.

He went to Oxford and can recite some latin

Reactions: wingy

Ring Of Steel

May 22, 2017
Haha, no, I’d also choose my words a carefully when it comes to Johnson ! I was just saying he’s not stupid

Because we are living this we don't realise how bad he is. He didn't believe in brexit but decided to try and be the face of the 'leave' campaign, shat himself and ran away when they won, bided his time and stuck the knife into everyone to get his ambition of being PM then did exactly the same as the people he screwed over, filled the cabinet with no-marks and inept failures, ran away again again after the election & went on lots of holidays, completely failed the country with his coronavirus response and is now in hiding again- all the while taking the UK to its most divided state in generations with everybody hating each other, eugenics experts calling the shots and people like Hancock, Patel and Raab running the show by lying to the country on a daily basis. I saw this morning we are 'importing' hundreds of Eastern Europeans to work on farms- really taking back control.

He is an utter, unqualified, dangerous disaster and when we look back in 20/30 yrs it will be obvious just how shit and catastrophic the 'Johnson era' was.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
It's over 12 mil! Every time someone announces a figure it immediately becomes incorrect a the amount goes up!

I think Tom is part of the spread of coronavirus. His fundraising has gone up exponentially and so has the cases of the disease. Co-incidence?

*this is of course a joke

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
Global supply chains are still in the toilet, manufacturing is at an all-time low due to labour shortages, shipping costs are at an all time high due to demand and we're currently in the midst of a capacity crunch, so it's becoming a huge struggle for importers to get anything into the country. If anything it would probably be easier, quicker and cheaper to manufacture them in the UK.

Which is what the government seemingly were doing when they gave contracts to JCB and Dyson for ventilators. Others that have used the procurement system are receiving more than we are.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013

taking it down to "simple" numbers to show how small the margins are and the reasoning behind the concepts of isolation/groupings/distancing

Oh for the leadership of truth.

That’s the issue with our government and specifically our PM, he’s spent so long stoking fears amongst the electorate to cheaply obtain their vote with lies now we need them to be truthful they’re the ones scared to do that. The irony being that Merkel giving it how it is in plain German is actually very calming as it’s the dose of reality needed. We just get more bluster, lies and BS targets we’re never going to meet. I hope people wise up to this.

Reactions: Sky_Blue_Dreamer

ajsccfc

Dec 10, 2008
I'd love to think that after the last few years and all this now, we'll be owed a couple of years where the world leaders are competent and boring and not much happens.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
2- heartfelt apology from eu to Italy. Beautiful and necessary they were let down and our leaders can’t apologise for letting old people back in homes to infect and kill their friends

One of the main tenets of right sided thinking is to never, ever admit fault or mistake. Never say sorry. It can be used as a stick to beat you with and seen as a sign of weakness. If you don't admit mistakes or spin it even if it seems pretty obvious you've fucked up you make people find clear evidence of your fault and that's much harder and you can just carry on.

It's one of the many things G has taken on from that book of thinking.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018
The money isn't going directly to the NHS. It is going to the organisation's that work alongside the NHS that are not paid for by our government or the tax we pay but by donations and fund raising.

If anyone wants to make a point how about saying why organisations like Macmillans are not state funded. Because it is a disgrace.

Also never understood why RNLI, mountain rescue and air ambulance aren't state funded.

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
Because we are living this we don't realise how bad he is. He didn't believe in brexit but decided to try and be the face of the 'leave' campaign, shat himself and ran away when they won, bided his time and stuck the knife into everyone to get his ambition of being PM then did exactly the same as the people he screwed over, filled the cabinet with no-marks and inept failures, ran away again again after the election & went on lots of holidays, completely failed the country with his coronavirus response and is now in hiding again- all the while taking the UK to its most divided state in generations with everybody hating each other, eugenics experts calling the shots and people like Hancock, Patel and Raab running the show by lying to the country on a daily basis. I saw this morning we are 'importing' hundreds of Eastern Europeans to work on farms- really taking back control.

He is an utter, unqualified, dangerous disaster and when we look back in 20/30 yrs it will be obvious just how shit and catastrophic the 'Johnson era' was.
An inept government got voted in because an inept opposition didn't have a clue what to do for the best.

The worse thing is if we pull out of the aftermath of the virus and do OK Boris might be seen as some kind of hero.

I just hope Starmer is up to showing Boris for what he is. And that the Labour infighting stops. Get both and we should get a Labour government. Miss one and we won't.

fernandopartridge

Dec 9, 2011
Oh for the leadership of truth.

That’s the issue with our government and specifically our PM, he’s spent so long stoking fears amongst the electorate to cheaply obtain their vote with lies now we need them to be truthful they’re the ones scared to do that. The irony being that Merkel giving it how it is in plain German is actually very calming as it’s the dose of reality needed. We just get more bluster, lies and BS targets we’re never going to meet. I hope people wise up to this.

Who'd have thought what the long term impact of allowing concepts like 'spin' to become normalised would have. We've now got a government that prefers media management over actual governance.

skybluetony176

Aug 2, 2013
The man possibly caught Covid 19 by shaking hands with people who have Covid 19 when his own official advice was social distancing and then at the very press conference we were being told not to visit our mothers on mothers day he was talking about hoping to see his mother on Mother’s Day.

He ain’t smart.

Grendel

Sep 19, 2011
One of the main tenets of right sided thinking is to never, ever admit fault or mistake. Never say sorry. It can be used as a stick to beat you with and seen as a sign of weakness. If you don't admit mistakes or spin it even if it seems pretty obvious you've fucked up you make people find clear evidence of your fault and that's much harder and you can just carry on.

Yes I’m sure when John McDonnell said sorry for his past terrorist associations he was genuinely remorseful and I’m sure Clegg was really sorry for his blatant lies. Any politician that says sorry isn’t sorry at all The charlatan Macron being a clastic example. Politicians apologise when expedient to do so

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria
Trouble is he's got so many people wanting interviews he won't have time to complete the challenge.
Finished it this morning. Had to be done quickly as he is 100 at the end of the month. 12m raised. Slightly beat his target of 1k.

Hope he finally manages to get his 100th birthday party.

Astute

Aug 2, 2011
Cumbria

Did Corbyn ever admit fault for the last GE defeat?

Reactions: Sky Blue Pete

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Aug 16, 2018

He's not an idiot but hat doesn't make him 'smart' either.

He knows how to play people, he's good at PR. Actual detail and expertise - not so much.

Unfortunately usually those that are good at that are shit at delivering it so no-one listens.

Take that Merkel video. It's clear and makes the point. But to many it'll be dull and they'll just mentally switch off, while others will say it comes across as a bit condescending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astute

shmmeee

Jul 11, 2011
I wouldn’t say poor academic performance (I wouldn’t mind having a 2:1 from Oxford) but each to their own. Just wouldn’t class him as stupid personally

A 2:1 in Classics from Oxford when you’ve gone to Eton is basically the lowest expectation. I know lots of stupid people with more impressive Oxford degrees from less prestigious private schools.

Users who are viewing this thread