Conor Chaplin (1 Viewer)

Skybluefaz

You know what, I’m going to get slated here, but Baka’s record at L1 level is better than McNulty’s. McNulty has had 2 consistent seasons in his career - in League 2 and the Scottish championship

EDIT: this season was McNulty’s second best in his career at league one with 2 goals
Good point well made

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Good point well made
Don’t get me wrong, I love what McNulty did for us, but he’s 27 and has not performed at a level higher than league 2 with multiple attempts.

Bakayoko may not be the answer, but he has all the attributes to be a good player - at times he has power, pace and his finishing is decent, he still also has time on his side.

McNulty like Grimmer was great at the time, kickstarted our revival, but we don’t need him anymore

Skybluefaz

Don’t get me wrong, I love what McNulty did for us, but he’s 27 and has not performed at a level higher than league 2 with multiple attempts.

Bakayoko may not be the answer, but he has all the attributes to be a good player - at times he has power, pace and his finishing is decent, he still also has time on his side.

McNulty like Grimmer was great at the time, kickstarted our revival, but we don’t need him anymore
Nah I agree. Plus I hope we sign someone better than Godden, therefore we wouldn't need another Godden type player in McNulty.

higgs

What about Kyle Reid could be good down the wing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blind-Faith

Chaplin never suited our style of play. He’s bagged a few in the championship so fair play, but I’m assuming that’s because Barnsley play a system better suited to his game.

NorthernWisdom

You know what, I’m going to get slated here, but Baka’s record at L1 level is better than McNulty’s. McNulty has had 2 consistent seasons in his career - in League 2 and the Scottish championship

EDIT: this season was McNulty’s second best in his career at league one with 2 goals
tbf, Baka's got a better record in League 1 than Rooney (Wayne, before some smartarse pops up!), who's never scored in the division.

fatso

Great point, this should finally put any talk of McNulty returning well and truly to rest.
In fact any striker who has a worse record than that fucking donkey Baka, needs to find another career path!

mr_monkey

Great point, this should finally put any talk of McNulty returning well and truly to rest.
In fact any striker who has a worse record than that fucking donkey Baka, needs to find another career path!

Did you not watch the highlights of the season? That "donkey" scored some vital goals for us and has the potential to be a good player, just wish people would get off his back... Robins obviously sees something in him to offer him a new contract

Warwickhunt

And we expect loyalty from our players...
Give the guy a chance, he may not be good enough but that’s Robins decision.
Robins must see something in him via Training? He is a big chap who is quite mobile though but his first touch needs working on

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Did you not watch the highlights of the season? That "donkey" scored some vital goals for us and has the potential to be a good player, just wish people would get off his back... Robins obviously sees something in him to offer him a new contract

agreed all he needs is to realise he is a beast in size and use it rather than play like Conor Chaplin because he isnt he is tall and decently paced so when he realises this he will start scoring more

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

tbf, Baka's got a better record in League 1 than Rooney (Wayne, before some smartarse pops up!), who's never scored in the division.
Bad example - Rooney has played his career at the top from the start.

McNulty has had many chances at this level and not offered anything to a number of managers. Baka on the other hand has not played lower than that level.

McNulty would request 10-15k a week, when he is no better than 3rd choice for us. Again, he like Grimmer and Rod McDonald were exactly what we needed at league 2 level.

I like McNulty but he’s not good enough for the championship, and hasn’t proven that he is good enough for league one

SkyBlueCRJ

Was a weird one. All that time chasing him and then play a system that doesn't work for him.

It worked out in the end as we recouped the money but MR truly had his pants pulled down by KJ during that window.

You can guarantee he'll never let that happen to himself again though.

Irish Sky Blue

It worked out in the end as we recouped the money but MR truly had his pants pulled down by KJ during that window.

You can guarantee he'll never let that happen to himself again though.
He didn't really as less than a year later he was sold for a profit. The opposite is probably true.

fatso

Every league goal is vital, but Baka scored 4 in the league for us, and that was at league 1 level.
You might be happy with that, but personally I think we need someone capable of scoring more, and that person has to be challenging Godden for his place. Which Baka never did.

Magwitch

Bad example - Rooney has played his career at the top from the start.

McNulty has had many chances at this level and not offered anything to a number of managers. Baka on the other hand has not played lower than that level.

McNulty would request 10-15k a week, when he is no better than 3rd choice for us. Again, he like Grimmer and Rod McDonald were exactly what we needed at league 2 level.

I like McNulty but he’s not good enough for the championship, and hasn’t proven that he is good enough for league one
McNulty ? We got lucky with him, got the goals that enabled us to get out of division two and got us money which helped Robins build the squad to get us out of division one,
would I have him back ? no, too much pressure on him to repeat his 28 goal feat and there is better out there.

mr_monkey

Every league goal is vital, but Baka scored 4 in the league for us, and that was at league 1 level.
You might be happy with that, but personally I think we need someone capable of scoring more, and that person has to be challenging Godden for his place. Which Baka never did.

I'm not saying Baka is the answer just that the hate for him is unnatural for someone who played an important part in us getting promoted and always gives 100% on the pitch.

Robins must see something in him to offer him a contract and so whilst he is wearing sky blue he gets my full support and backing and definitely has the raw material to be a damn good player

SkyBlueCRJ

Enlighten me.

I've stated quite clearly in the post it worked out in the end - more than worked out in fact. You can't question Chaplin's ability but the fact the club managed to double it's money on a player who returned 8 goals in the previous season is nothing short of a feat. I doubt even MR believed the club would gain such a return on Chaplin in such a short space of time.

Some transfers don't work out, that's a certainty in football. The Chaplin transfer is a prime example of this, with the exception of course that the club luckily managed to convert the transfer into a profitable transaction. But it's naive to believe this is the rule rather than the exception. Hence why rather than considering this as a slight on MR's record I actually think it was an excellent learning curve for him and will only benefit the club in the future. I think it's safe to say he probably won't want to allow himself to put his eggs in one basket with a player again - because at the end of the day it's doubtful that he'd be as fortunate next time when attempting to recoup money spent on a player who's realistically had a poor season given the initial level of expectation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread