Connor Thomas (1 Viewer)

la-ccfc

I've noticed he has been captain in the two friendlies so far, do people think he is being viewed as a captain for this season?

Personally I think he is too young to be captain, but he could be good in a couple of seasons.

junglej13

Mcsheffery should never be considered as captain. Consistently goes missing - particularly away from home. Kilbane or Wood would be the obvious choice but I think Thomas will have a huge season for us next season and making him captain would be a very positive move.

Astute

Kilbane for me. He has played more internationals than most of our players have played games.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

Kilbane if he can keep up with the games?

Yorkshire SB

Mcsheffery should never be considered as captain. Consistently goes missing - particularly away from home. Kilbane or Wood would be the obvious choice but I think Thomas will have a huge season for us next season and making him captain would be a very positive move.

Why not McSheffrey, experienced, vocal, and most importantly cares about the club? He'd certainly be my choice!
Kilbane shouldn't get it, bloke only played 10 games in the whole of last season, won't have the legs to play 40+ games.

Astute

Why not McSheffrey, experienced, vocal, and most importantly cares about the club? He'd certainly be my choice!
Kilbane shouldn't get it, bloke only played 10 games in the whole of last season, won't have the legs to play 40+ games.

Shall we see before writing his season off?

Grendel

If mcsheffrey is vocal he must practice ventriloquism. His body language most of the time is poor.
Why do you assume kilbane will not be fit based on one injury?

Sky Blue Sheepy

Kilbane has been noted as being one of the fittest in Preseason. As for Sheffers, he seems to shy away and never appears to have the mental strength for tough occasions - the missed penalties are prime examples; you don't fluff that many without a lack of mental strength.

KK for me.

Hateley's Heed

I doubt AT would put that much pressure on Thomas by making him captain at his age in what will really be his 2nd season in senior football. However could it be a tactic by AT to really install some belief in Thomas by showing him how valuable he feels he is to the squad?

Personally think Thomas has the all round game to go all the way and possibly lacked confidence at times last season in expressing himself in the way he may have previously shown with ease at apprentice level?

Yorkshire SB

Well when I watched against Hinckley, McSheffrey was very vocal and encouraging towards the younger players. My main point is that he represents the fans (as he is one himself) and this can be recognised on the pitch.

Overall the way I see it we have 3 stand out candidates; Sheffers, Kilbane and Wood and in my eyes only one of them is guaranteed to start and that's Sheffers. Wood faces serious competition for centre back (though for what it is worth, I believe he should start). Whatever everyone says about Kilbane and his fitness, he's 35 years old and will be 36 midway through this season and last year racked up only 9 league appearances. If he's good enough and fit enough then I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't believe he will captain the side based on the fact he may be used as a bit part player, particularly if we get Jennings in.

McSheffrey is a local lad, who has played Premier League football and has the experience. He is of a good age and I think giving him the armband would mean a lot to him, and this is why I think he is deserving of it!

Yorkshire SB

Kilbane has been noted as being one of the fittest in Preseason. As for Sheffers, he seems to shy away and never appears to have the mental strength for tough occasions - the missed penalties are prime examples; you don't fluff that many without a lack of mental strength.

KK for me.

KK was noted as being very fit by Thorn in a press release, surprising that he would say such a thing to the fans when we sign a 35 year old on a free...However I doubt he is super human and 40 games plus of league football would be an extraordinary feat for 35 year old.
As for McSheffrey that's incredibly unfair. First of all being the penalty taker is an example of mental strength in itself, so completely hypocritical, if he shied away then he would refuse to take them. John Terry has missed a penalty on the biggest occasion in European football, but would you question his mental strength? Penalties can also result in good saves made by goalkeepers and even the best players miss penalties, Ronaldo has missed more than one, on the biggest occasions, in his career.

I really don't think you are in a position to question the guys mental strength, he was loaned out god knows how many times by Coventry before making his breakthrough. Whatever you say, to achieve what he did in his first spell at the club required immense self belief and mental strength. However I'm sure a couple of missed penalties is enough evidence for us to judge his mental strength as lacking.

Yorkshire SB

Okay fair enough, perhaps my comment about McSheffrey being vocal is a little emphatic. However I base my opinions on Kilbane on the precedent set by other players in the professional game. At 35 there have been very very few players that have been able to play 40+ games. Even Ryan Giggs who is renown for his extraordinary fitness for his age was used in a rotation system at that age.

RichieGunns

Shall we see before writing his season off?

I think Kilbane should get it, as others have said he's got the experience and in the center of midfield he has the ability to command the whole team.

As for whether he's got the legs, Astute has it right when saying that we should wait and see rather than writing him off now.

The season hasn't started yet and he has enough experience at a very high level for him to be able to whether such hard season, regardless of his age...my opinion of course!

Users who are viewing this thread