Comedians (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Got to be honest, I’m a dark and anti-woke humour and a Gervais fan generally but found his latest to be a bit shit. He felt like the overly woke comedians who forget to write jokes and just rant about their beliefs. I don’t care what your views are as long as you’re funny, but just saying “our side is great, the others are idiots” isn’t comedy IMO.

Thought it was better than his last special but not as good as his earlier stuff, which is probably the same for most comics.

Terry_dactyl

Miles Jupp was brilliant. Was a bit worried as I have a relative who had had a similar condition recently but it was excellent and really funny.
Yeah. He’s a great storyteller right? Got just the right balance i thought.
The description of his parents had me crying with laughter.

Where did you see him? I went to a really small place in Bristol. I wondered how it might be in a bigger venue.

Last edited:

shmmeee

I’ve booked to see Jerry Sadowitz in Nottingham. Taking the missus, (well she’s taking me), she googled him after buying the tickets and is now a little nervous 😂

Hertsccfc

Yeah. He’s a great storyteller right? Got just the right balance i thought.
The description of his parents had me crying with laughter.

Where did you see him? I went to a really small place in Bristol. I wondered how it might be in a bigger venue.
Yes I love his meandering story telling style and agree on the description of his parents and his father in law. As for the MRSA swab story!

I saw him at St Albans, a reasonable sized theatre and it was full.

JAM See

I’ve booked to see Jerry Sadowitz in Nottingham. Taking the missus, (well she’s taking me), she googled him after buying the tickets and is now a little nervous 😂
Enjoy.
Remember, Jerry Sadowitz is a character.
He's not Jim Davidson.

Please report back.

Edit: And he is also Ebenezer Goode!

slowpoke

I struggle with the “modern” comics & comedy but I admit love the older stuff, from Laurel & Hardy, Morecambe & Wise, most of the Comedians to individuals such as Tommy Cooper, Norman Wisdom, the clever Bob Monkhouse,
the Americans Jack Benny & the daft zany Jerry Lee Lewis.
The situation comedies too numerous to put on here
Steptoe, Dads Army to Fools and Horses. I suppose it’s an age thing.
Heaven must be a laugh a minute place I hope I get to the comedy bit…..and music bit, that’s a different story though.

Otis

I struggle with the “modern” comics & comedy but I admit love the older stuff, from Laurel & Hardy, Morecambe & Wise, most of the Comedians to individuals such as Tommy Cooper, Norman Wisdom, the clever Bob Monkhouse,
the Americans Jack Benny & the daft zany Jerry Lee Lewis.
The situation comedies too numerous to put on here
Steptoe, Dads Army to Fools and Horses. I suppose it’s an age thing.
Heaven must be a laugh a minute place I hope I get to the comedy bit…..and music bit, that’s a different story though.
I had no idea Jerry Lee Lewis did comedy too.

I just love comedy in general. Old and new. Funny is funny. Some great comics about these days still I reckon.

I still remain a hug fan of Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers, especially, but love a lot of new stuff.

There is a fab comedy club here in Folkestone. Touted as being one of the best in the country and I have already signed up. Can't wait!

We are going to see this guy in April there. Not sure what his act is like these days, mind.

Should be interesting.

harvey098

I had no idea Jerry Lee Lewis did comedy too.

I just love comedy in general. Old and new. Funny is funny. Some great comics about these days still I reckon.

I still remain a hug fan of Laurel & Hardy and the Marx Brothers, especially, but love a lot of new stuff.

There is a fab comedy club here in Folkestone. Touted as being one of the best in the country and I have already signed up. Can't wait!

We are going to see this guy in April there. Not sure what his act is like these days, mind.

Should be interesting.

Terry is one of the best acts in the country and I’ve worked with pretty much every “famous” comedian, he’s in the top 1% of live acts. He was with me in Balsall Common on Saturday and took the roof off… he’s performing at my night in Coleshill on Friday too and I can’t wait!

I’ve only just found this thread but for you Comedy fans, here’s a list of the local nights I put on: Upcoming Shows - Harvey Hawkins Comedy

Otis

Terry is one of the best acts in the country and I’ve worked with pretty much every “famous” comedian, he’s in the top 1% of live acts. He was with me in Balsall Common on Saturday and took the roof off… he’s performing at my night in Coleshill on Friday too and I can’t wait!

I’ve only just found this thread but for you Comedy fans, here’s a list of the local nights I put on: Upcoming Shows - Harvey Hawkins Comedy
Let me know when you do Folkestone. 🤪

shmmeee

Just got out of Jerry Sadowitz…

Hmm. Some good bits, delivery isn’t great and large parts were just him going on a racist rant without a hint of irony. Nothing to compare him with before but reminded me of Gervais in his last set who spent more time showing he didn’t care about being woke than trying to be funny.

Kinda disappointed, I like a Bill Hicks style anti-establishment comedian and a Carr or Gervais style anti woke comedian, but it has to be done with skill and I just didn’t see it.

Terry_dactyl

Went to see ‘I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue’ in Bristol yesterday. Not sure I’ve ever laughed so much in one sitting. Really daft but can’t recommend it enough.

Terry_dactyl

I think you, Otis and I must have a similar sense of humour, what with this and Miles Jupp. I went to see this a few years ago and yes it was brilliant.
The panel was Rory Bremner, Marcus Brigstock, Pippa Evans and Tony Hawkes…with Colin Sell accompanying on piano. The 2nd half was Swanny Kazoo heavy. Great fun.

Hertsccfc

The panel was Rory Bremner, Marcus Brigstock, Pippa Evans and Tony Hawkes…with Colin Sell accompanying on piano. The 2nd half was Swanny Kazoo heavy. Great fun.
Good line up.

Wish I had seen it when Humphrey Lyllteton was the chair although Jack Dee is great too.

Terry_dactyl

Good line up.

Wish I had seen it when Humphrey Lyllteton was the chair although Jack Dee is great too.
Yeah, I was saying that yesterday. It started with a sort of tribute to Barry Cryer, each panellist taking it in turns to tell one of his jokes…some of them I’d heard before but still great. The one about a parrot that had been rescued from a brothel…
Jeremy Hardy was also mentioned and got a round of applause. Would’ve loved to hear him sing!

rob9872

Just watched the first 100 hours of a Rosie Jones joke, can't wait for the punchline.

rob9872

Just got out of Jerry Sadowitz…

Hmm. Some good bits, delivery isn’t great and large parts were just him going on a racist rant without a hint of irony. Nothing to compare him with before but reminded me of Gervais in his last set who spent more time showing he didn’t care about being woke than trying to be funny.

Kinda disappointed, I like a Bill Hicks style anti-establishment comedian and a Carr or Gervais style anti woke comedian, but it has to be done with skill and I just didn’t see it.
Yeah mentioned him further up this thread, saw him 20 years apart and the same outdated act. Very good magician, should perhaps do more magic with the odd rant.

Terry_dactyl

Latest on my list to see is going to be Henning Wehn I think. Well, next one I am buying tickets for anyway

Would love to see Miles Jupp.
I’ll get involved then…

Prior to seeing Miles Jupp I saw Rich Hall. I think he’s fantastic. He also sometimes appears 2nd half as his alter-ego, Otis Lee Crenshaw, which is a real treat!

Next up is Ed Gamble. I’m really looking forward to it. Not someone I would’ve thought I’d like that much but saw him a while back and was literally crying with laughter. He is far more ridiculous than I expected.

I’d really like to see James Acaster.

Otis

I’ll get involved then…

Prior to seeing Miles Jupp I saw Rich Hall. I think he’s fantastic. He also sometimes appears 2nd half as his alter-ego, Otis Lee Crenshaw, which is a real treat!

Next up is Ed Gamble. I’m really looking forward to it. Not someone I would’ve thought I’d like that much but saw him a while back and was literally crying with laughter. He is far more ridiculous than I expected.

I’d really like to see James Acaster.
Yes, I love James Acaster and I forgot about Rich Hall, who IS actually coming to Folkestone soon. Must grab tickets.

Would love to see Reginald D Hunter as well.

Got tickets for Al Murray in May.

Terry_dactyl

Yes, I love James Acaster and I forgot about Rich Hall, who IS actually coming to Folkestone soon. Must grab tickets.

Would love to see Reginald D Hunter as well.

Got tickets for Al Murray in May.

From the little bits I’ve seen of RDH I really like him and should try and get to see him.

Is Al Murray still the Pub Landlord or is he doing other stuff?

Hertsccfc

Yes all very similar!

Would like to see Henning Wehn, James Acaster and Ed Gamble. Have seen Reginald D Hunter twice. First time was good but second poor. He seemed in a bad mood and really not funny.

Saw Jeremy Hardy a few times and also
seen Mark Steel, Marcus Brigstock, Jack Dee, Shappi Korsandi, who were all great, and possibly my favourite Kevin Bridges.

Otis

Yes all very similar!

Would like to see Henning Wehn, James Acaster and Ed Gamble. Have seen Reginald D Hunter twice. First time was good but second poor. He seemed in a bad mood and really not funny.

Saw Jeremy Hardy a few times and also
seen Mark Steel, Marcus Brigstock, Jack Dee, Shappi Korsandi, who were all great, and possibly my favourite Kevin Bridges.
Always wanted to see Shappi Korsandi.

I may go and see Lucy Porter next year too.

Loads of comedy shows come to Folkestone, so I am a little spoilt for choice.

They have one of the best dedicated comedy clubs in the country and then there are about 4 other venues that regularly have comedians on.

I have a whole list to wade through and pick up on.

Terry_dactyl

I did see Henning Wehn twice. First time he was great, second time was just after lockdown and, for me, it wasn’t all that. He repeated a lot of his routine and I didn’t find the new bits particularly funny.

You’re lucky to have such a good comedy scene. Based in Cardiff the main venue tends to be St David’s Hall in town but this has been closed due to them discovering Raac Concrete (cue joked about bringing the house down/raising the roof etc). So loads of things, including the Ed Gamble show has been postponed and found a new venue.

Would have loved to see Jeremy Hardy!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah, I was saying that yesterday. It started with a sort of tribute to Barry Cryer, each panellist taking it in turns to tell one of his jokes…some of them I’d heard before but still great. The one about a parrot that had been rescued from a brothel…
Jeremy Hardy was also mentioned and got a round of applause. Would’ve loved to hear him sing!
Panel I saw at WAC a number of years ago was Cryer, Hardy, Brooke-Taylor and Hawks. Very enjoyable and Hardy did indeed sing!

Still have no idea how to play Mornington Crescent.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Always wanted to see Shappi Korsandi.

I may go and see Lucy Porter next year too.

Loads of comedy shows come to Folkestone, so I am a little spoilt for choice.

They have one of the best dedicated comedy clubs in the country and then there are about 4 other venues that regularly have comedians on.

I have a whole list to wade through and pick up on.
Met Lucy Porter very briefly outside the Belgrade a number of years ago before she did a comedy night. She really is tiny. Also her mum was from Cov.

Users who are viewing this thread