Christmas Quiz 2022 ANSWERS!!! (1 Viewer)

Grendel

So answers to the quiz are as follows (shamelessly copied and edited from the winner) - I have ommitted the POB in the answers so you see just the players :

Goalkeeper Answer Simon Moore
Right Back - Wilfred Bramble & Stan Smith - Answer Wilf Smith - (real name Wilfred Schmidt)
Centre back 1 - Answer Paul Williams
Centre back 2 / Jimmy Cricket & Sherlock Holmes - Answer Jimmy Holmes
Left back Clue - Answer Paul Edwards
Right Midfield 1 Clue George Cross Malta - Anagram answer Jodi Felice Jones
Centre Midfield 1 Clue / strictly Katia Jones doing the donkey kick (with Donkey Tony Adams) - Answer Willy Carr
Centre Midfield 2 - Answer Joe Cole - The bonus point was the Nat King Cole songs
Left Midfield 1 Wembley (this was a reference to 5th down from the Jubilee Line is Wembley Central) - Answer Jacob Murphy
Centre Forward 1 Clue young Jack Kennedy / Jocky Wilson - Answer Callum Wilson - went to President Kennedy school in Keresley
Centre Forward 2 Ian Wallace - The connect clue to this was that Wallace Played for Scotland and then you saw players from Wales and Portugal (no pedants on Wales please) and then you need a player who played for us from Bulgaria. This is as Ian Wallace only had 3 Scottish caps and they were against those 3 nations.
Substitute Clue 4 trees from the logo of Student Loan Company representing 4 loan periods for Coventry - Answer Richard Duffy (brilliant clue BTW).
Manager - - Tiny Rowland / kneel / Son-hueng-min RowlandKneelSon - Answer Roland Nillsson

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

Substitute Clue 4 trees from the logo of Student Loan Company representing 4 loan periods for Coventry - Answer Richard Duffy (brilliant clue BTW).

"If I do say so myself" :)

I didn't take part - not enough time to work out the answers but in all seriousness, well done G. I know we see differently on a number of things but I know a lot of the forum look forward to this every festive period and it also raises money for charity so well done.

steve cooper

For me it's been very enjoyable, and something to challenge my brain during the week or so when nothing much else is happening. The amount of work Grendel put into this one especially, but all of them, is astounding.
Grendel hasn't mentioned the player link, (yet) but again that would have taken a lot of research, and brain processing power to make it all tie together.
Also I hope, we raised a reasonable amount for the charity.
A mention also to Brighton Sky Blue who, I know, didn't have the time I had, due to work commitments.

Last edited:

Grendel

I will go through the link which no one who entered came close to and I will explain the song references:

Lets start with a man call Peter MOORE

He ran a cinema (hence moving pictures clue) - see here a picture in his local paper:

SK1.jpg

You would not be sitting on the back seat in the movies with Peter Moore in the House. The sadistic killer murdered 4 innocent victims having previously assaulted 40 men. Moore dressed as a Nazi when going on the killing spree as he thought he would scare his victims. He said his motive was that killing "was a bit of fun"

George Joseph SMITH - The Brides in the Bath murderer slaughtered 3 women in 1915

Wayne WILLIAMS - The Atlanta murderer who embarked on a crazed killing spree between 1979 and 1981 - he was convicted of two adult murders but the general view is that he killed around 30 - mostly children

H H HOLMES - Herman Webster Mudgett went by the alias Dr H H Holmes. The first serial killer born in the USA Holmes constructed torture chambers in a US building - he was convicted of 9 deaths - the real total could be up to 200

Edward EDWARDS - Once on the FBI most wanted list he indiscriminately 5 victims over a 19 year period. Its believed he killed many more

Carroll Edward COLE - Carroll was mocked for having a girls name at school. The laughing soon stopped. He killed his first victim aged 8. He was convicted of 15 murders - mostly by strangulation - and is "credited" with at least another 15 unsolved murders

Sharon CARR - Carr only murdered one person. She randomly killed her having just deciding she wanted to kill. Only caught when trying to kill another at her school. Carr was 12 when she killed. Unlike other child murderers Carr - now 41 - remains in custody considered too dangerous to walk the streets again

Mary WILSON - The Merry Widow of Windy Nook - The black widow poisoned her husbands for their life insurance - one wedding she joked at saving the buffet sandwiches for the next wedding- convicted of 2 she killed all 4 husbands. The last woman sentenced to death in the UK Wilson was reprieved and died in prison in 1962

Henry Louis WALLACE - Supertramp refer to the Taco bell in the song Gone Hollwood. No one would want to have been in one with Wallace. The lunatic dubbed the Taco Bell Strangler strangled 11 women over a 4 year killing spree.

Donald MURPHY - In Detroit in 1979 Murphy went on a murder spree confessing when caught of killing 6 prostitutes

Hilda NILLSON - The Angel Maker of Bruks Street - A swedish serial killer from the same town as Roland - Helsinbourg. She took children into her care - and then killed them. Last Swedish woman to be sentenced to death she killed herself first

John DUFFY - dubbed the "railway Killers" he and his partner in crime David Mulchacy terrorised women across Southern England attacking many and killing at least 3

Jeremy BAMBER - Tenpole Tudor did a song who killed Bambi. Well Jeremy Bamber killed his sister Sheila "Bambi" Caffell and his adopted parents and Caffells young children at White House Farm. All for money. Still protesting his innocence he remains behind bars today.

Myra HINDLEY - No introduction needed for the beast of Saddleworth Moor and her depraved sidekick Ian Brady.

There we have it - a whole team who share their names with some of the most depraved killers on the planet.

Hope you enjoyed the quiz - Happy New Year and sweet dreams everyone

Skyblueweeman

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

rob9872

Everything bar cf2 and the link.

Great quiz G and well done to the winner(s).

Johhny Blue

Sorry for throwing out Wilf Smith’s name. It happened to be a random name that I pulled out of my arse. Maybe I should concentrate next year and try harder.
My teachers were right.

Last edited:

Hobo

Well done Grendel for putting taht together.

SBT

I will go through the link which no one who entered came close to and I will explain the song references:

He ran a cinema (hence moving pictures clue) - see here a picture in his local paper:

View attachment 27972

You would not be sitting on the back seat in the movies with Peter Moore in the House. The sadistic killer murdered 4 innocent victims having previously assaulted 40 men. Moore dressed as a Nazi when going on the killing spree as he thought he would scare his victims. He said his motive was that killing "was a bit of fun"

George Joseph SMITH - The Brides in the Bath murderer slaughtered 3 women in 1915

Wayne WILLIAMS - The Atlanta murderer who embarked on a crazed killing spree between 1979 and 1981 - he was convicted of two adult murders but the general view is that he killed around 30 - mostly children

H H HOLMES - Herman Webster Mudgett went by the alias Dr H H Holmes. The first serial killer born in the USA Holmes constructed torture chambers in a US building - he was convicted of 9 deaths - the real total could be up to 200

Edward EDWARDS - Once on the FBI most wanted list he indiscriminately 5 victims over a 19 year period. Its believed he killed many more

Carroll Edward COLE - Carroll was mocked for having a girls name at school. The laughing soon stopped. He killed his first victim aged 8. He was convicted of 15 murders - mostly by strangulation - and is "credited" with at least another 15 unsolved murders

Sharon CARR - Carr only murdered one person. She randomly killed her having just deciding she wanted to kill. Only caught when trying to kill another at her school. Carr was 12 when she killed. Unlike other child murderers Carr - now 41 - remains in custody considered too dangerous to walk the streets again

Mary WILSON - The Merry Widow of Windy Nook - The black widow poisoned her husbands for their life insurance - one wedding she joked at saving the buffet sandwiches for the next wedding- convicted of 2 she killed all 4 husbands. The last woman sentenced to death in the UK Wilson was reprieved and died in prison in 1962

Henry Louis WALLACE - Supertramp refer to the Taco bell in the song Gone Hollwood. No one would want to have been in one with Wallace. The lunatic dubbed the Taco Bell Strangler strangled 11 women over a 4 year killing spree.

Donald MURPHY - In Detroit in 1979 Murphy went on a murder spree confessing when caught of killing 6 prostitutes

Hilda NILLSON - The Angel Maker of Bruks Street - A swedish serial killer from the same town as Roland - Helsinbourg. She took children into her care - and then killed them. Last Swedish woman to be sentenced to death she killed herself first

John DUFFY - dubbed the "railway Killers" he and his partner in crime David Mulchacy terrorised women across Southern England attacking many and killing at least 3

Jeremy BAMBER - Tenpole Tudor did a song who killed Bambi. Well Jeremy Bamber killed his sister Sheila "Bambi" Caffell and his adopted parents and Caffells young children at White House Farm. All for money. Still protesting his innocence he remains behind bars today.

Myra HINDLEY - No introduction needed for the beast of Saddleworth Moor and her depraved sidekick Ian Brady.

There we have it - a whole team who share their names with some of the most depraved killers on the planet.

1672941099545.gif

Brighton Sky Blue

For me it's been very enjoyable, and something to challenge my brain during the week or so when nothing much else is happening. The amount of work Grendel put into this one especially, but all of them, is astounding.
Grendel hasn't mentioned the player link, (yet) but again that would have taken a lot of research, and brain processing power to make it all tie together.
Also I hope, we raised a reasonable amount for the charity.
A mention also to Brighton Sky Blue who, I know, didn't have the time I had, due to work commitments.

It was a bit like getting bowled out by your mate on Brian Lara Cricket when you had to go to the loo

Grendel

I need to issue an apology

I omitted a music reference

The evil sociopath Sharon Carr was dubbed the Devils Daughter

rob9872

Could've been the delightful Maxine too

Grendel

Could've been the delightful Maxine too

Didn’t kill anyone - Robert Frederick Carr was my first choice but I wanted Ozzy to be in my quiz

Sky Blue Harry H

Well done G - brilliant stuff and time consuming for you.
Got a few, didn't enter, but will make a donation to the charity (assume it's listed on the original quiz thread)

ovduk78

View attachment 27972

Wasn't there a killer as a clue in last year's quiz, maybe Harry Roberts? Is this a subject you are interested in @Grendel?

Users who are viewing this thread