Centre forward problem (1 Viewer)

quinn1971

Shouldn’t we be used to having a problem up front,apart from gykores the last 2 seasons its depressing reading, All our championship seasons we’ve always struggled for goals from our forwards, think mcsheffery was our highest with 15,and he was a winger 😳

Attachments

• IMG_1830.jpeg
    IMG_1830.jpeg
    758.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1829.jpeg
    IMG_1829.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 110

Cally Fedora

We’ve rarely had prolific scorers at all. You can count them on one hand. In my time watching it probably boils down to Wallace, Gibson, Wilson, McNulty and Gyokeres. The irony is there is a huge block of top flight football in there where the likes of Cyrille, Speedie, Dublin were chipping in with 10/15. Strikers don’t tend to flourish here.

shmmeee

We’ve rarely had prolific scorers at all. You can count them on one hand. In my time watching it probably boils down to Wallace, Gibson, Wilson, McNulty and Gyokeres. The irony is there is a huge block of top flight football in there where the likes of Cyrille, Speedie, Dublin were chipping in with 10/15. Strikers don’t tend to flourish here.

Wasnt Dublin Prem top scorer one season with 18?

Hobo

You forgot Mick Ferguson played around 134 games scored 54 goals. Ian Wallace 130 appearances with 58 goals.

I don't know but would guess Ferguson had the most assists?

stupot07

McGoldrick (16 in 22) and Leon Clarke (23 in 34)

Dublin won the PL golden boot one season, and had 61 in 145 games in the PL for us, that's pretty prolific.

Edit: how could we also forget Adam Armstrong

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

quinn1971

If wright gets into double figures he’ll be one of our top championship strikers, not exactly a high bar but we’ve had a lot worse

SkyBlueMatt

People were complaining that the goals were not shared around enough last season.

Start of Feb 23 - 31 goals
Start of Feb 24 - 46 goals

Now we're complaining the forwards aren't scoring enough even though we've got 50% more goals.

Wright was looking much better then he got injured. Simms hasn't fully taken off but again was looking better when he had a run in the team.

skybluelee

Dion - 10/15 per season? He scored 72 in 4 seasons including the golden boot in 97/98.

Winny the Bish

Speaking of our Centre Forward "issues" I saw the below last night and thought it was very interesting. Basically showing how Simms is being asked to play a completely different role than he was at Sunderland. Going from a striker who was asked to only worry about winning headers and goal-scoring to having to create his own chances, run with the ball at defenders, and receiving it 20+yards further from goal than he's used to is a massive change.

SonofErnie

Speaking of our Centre Forward "issues" I saw the below last night and thought it was very interesting. Basically showing how Simms is being asked to play a completely different role than he was at Sunderland. Going from a striker who was asked to only worry about winning headers and goal-scoring to having to create his own chances, run with the ball at defenders, and receiving it 20+yards further from goal than he's used to is a massive change.

I really don’t get this given we have highly effective ball carriers sitting behind Simms. What is the logic in asking him to do this?

mmttww

One of the things that annoys me about Simms is that he never seems to jump for headers.

Yeah, I'm backing him but there was one cross vs. Bristol where he properly half assed it.

Needs to sort that.

skybluecam

Clarke, Wilson, Armstrong?

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Shouldn’t we be used to having a problem up front,apart from gykores the last 2 seasons its depressing reading, All our championship seasons we’ve always struggled for goals from our forwards, think mcsheffery was our highest with 15,and he was a winger 😳

I get the apples and apples comparison and it is right analytically… I just prefer to think of 2001-2017 as a dreadful, miserable chapter in supporting CCFC on and off the pitch and from 2018 onwards as being CCFC reborn.

I used to always say we always signed shit strikers (since Robbie Keane) that can’t break the 15 goal mark, however since CCFC reborn, McNulty, Godden (albeit leagues below) and Gyokeres have put an end to that. I refuse to even acknowledge the dross of Morrison or Best in the same breathe as them.

I think Wright will turn out to be an okay left forward for us (his finishing is atrocious at times) but we will still need a new Centre Forward and Simms will get moved on. He’s an unclincial poacher, not a centre forward.

Sky Blue Pete

We know this and it’s why whoever plays up front on their own doesn’t get many opportunities or goals

Nick

Administrator
Imagine any of our half decent forwards from the past 30 years in this side. So frustrating.

The thing is, Gyokeres loved to work the channels but with Saka and Wright / Palmer on the other side would he have the space to do that?

CCFCSteve

I honestly couldn’t give a fuck if none of our strikers score another goal all season as long as the others do, we win games and get promoted

collateral damage

This is the main point. If we’re scoring goals and winning that’s the main thing. It’s a team sport. Last season we were pretty much wholly reliant on two players in terms of creating/scoring goals, this season is a lot better in that sense

shmmeee

The thing is, Gyokeres loved to work the channels but with Saka and Wright / Palmer on the other side would he have the space to do that?

Not even Vik, but even the likes of Best, King, McGoldrick, etc would thrive in this side. Just anyone with a bit of something about them.

As for your question, I think Wright and Vik would exchange well

Mucca Mad Boys

We were also a lot more direct with Gyokeres. Our more possession style based game has stifled a lot of our classic quick counter attacking play.

My hope is that Torp can pick passes out from deep to put Wright, Sakamoto and Simms through on goal or even just pressure defenders kicking it out in their own half.

Nick

Administrator
We were also a lot more direct with Gyokeres. Our more possession style based game has stifled a lot of our classic quick counter attacking play.

My hope is that Torp can pick passes out from deep to put Wright, Sakamoto and Simms through on goal or even just pressure defenders kicking it out in their own half.

Torp put some nice passes into feet, one of them was into Simms who turned and played O'Hare in.

Nick

Administrator
Not even Vik, but even the likes of Best, King, McGoldrick, etc would thrive in this side. Just anyone with a bit of something about them.

If we played the same style now then I think Simms would look better, his assist against Oxford was a good example. He is much better when there's a ball in the channel and he can get a defender on their own.

Winny the Bish

McGoldrick would've worked well because he loved dropping deep.

Wonder if what this team needs is a striker like Firmino in those peak Liverpool years who was more a playmaker than goalscorer. Wright and Saka are constantly looking to cut inside and score themselves, which is part of why Simms is struggling.

PVA

Yes the way we are playing at the moment suits a striker that drops deep.

Simms likes the ball ahead of him and Godden is a penalty box striker so neither are currently working particularly well.

I think if Mason-Clark was here now we'd soon have seen him off the left and Wright given a go through the middle.

Also the suggestion of playing Palmer up front, can't remember who said it, gets slightly less crazy by the game...

Nick

Administrator

Simms likes the ball ahead of him and Godden is a penalty box striker so neither are currently working particularly well.

I think if Mason-Clark was here now we'd soon have seen him off the left and Wright given a go through the middle.

Also the suggestion of playing Palmer up front, can't remember who said it, gets slightly less crazy by the game...
I'm not sure Wright is a back to goal striker either though.

Terry_dactyl

I’m sure he played up front for us before…and scored?

Evo1883

Imagine any of our half decent forwards from the past 30 years in this side. So frustrating.
But supporters think its all the CFs fault, godden and Simms both getting pelters but are asked to be workhorses first and goalscorers second ..

You can show supporters this and they will STILL slag them off every match

What do we need ? A troy deeney esc forward ? Fuck knows

Users who are viewing this thread