CCFC announcement on new stadium (2 Viewers)

theferret

physical operation of the stadium not the finances

Turnover can be important but which would you rather have 10% of £1m or 30% of 500k. You can not focus on turnover if most of it goes in costs (and largely costs that get paid straight away)

Events who knows - was just asking people to keep a bit more of an open mind nothing more. Right now none of us know if ACL have made contingency plans in other ways - would be poor management if they had not made some in roads in to the process. In any case do the events need to be on the stadium sell out standard?

It probably is not feasible because the original build did not allow for that kind of expansion making it very expensive and because the return on capital invested would be poor given how much it would cost

It could be 9% last year of stadium turnover in that 2012/13 included the Olympics which would inflate total turnover whilst the CCFC footfall was at an all time low for the stadium

On the 9% figure, it remains to be seen the extent to which the Olympics inflated turnover, so I take your point, but then of course how do you quantify how much CCFC contributed to turnover? There are monies that are directly attributable (that is payments made directly from CCFC to ACL), and there is indirect income that ACL earn off the back of the football club, which is more difficult to quantify - especially when you are talking about income from deals with Ricoh and Compass which were signed at a time when it was understood that the football club would be in permanent residence there.

Of course bottom line takes precedence over turnover (profit is sanity, turnover is vanity and all that), but for that type of business especially cashflow is vital. What having an anchor tenant provides is regular cashflow and stability. A situation whereby you have a series of one-off events spread out unevenly can pose problems. There is also some doubt as to the financial benefit of one-off events, and didn't the council actually have to pay for the staging of the Davis Cup (for which ticket sales were disappointing).

I think the Ricoh is probably viable as a venue without the football club, but would require a roof because open air events are so few and far between it would render the main arena pretty much redundant. I'm not a structural engineer, but can't imagine it would be that difficult or indeed costly (relative to the potential return) because you would ultimately end up with the biggest permanent indoor venue in the country and the range of events it could stage would be considerable.

But yes, I agree they must have made some contingency plans.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Just wanted to add a few comments or questions.......

Coventry City and Ricoh Arena bosses are refusing to comment on speculation that negotiations over the club's administration and playing at the Ricoh took place yesterday - and produced no agreement. so if its speculation how do we know nothing was agreed?
Telegraph sources claim the talks started yesterday at a hotel venue "closer to London than Coventry", and that club owners Sisu's boss Joy Seppala was present. so much for secret talks wonder who the sources are?

The Telegraph exclusively revealed on Wednesday that talks were back on between the two warring parties - after both sides agree to the negotiations at a meeting on Monday with administrator Paul Appleton. surely it was true sky blue who scooped this exclusive?
We reported the talks would take place by 'Friday at the latest' - while other media outlets have reported the talks were taking place today. so what

As we revealed, Coventry city councillors had been briefed on Monday by council officer Chris West, who is also a Ricoh director. no great scandal it is his job to do that
They were informed the talks would take place today. isnt the important thing that they are taking place - diaries can change

The part city council-owned Ricoh firm Arena Coventry Limited (ACL) and the Sky Blues have refused since yesterday to confirm or deny that the talks have already taken place. there is a media blackout (see first paragraph)

Both sides are observing a 'media blackout'. there you go

Sources claim the meeting concluded yesterday without any agreement over whether both sides as creditors of Coventry City Football Club Limited would sign off Mr Appleton's proposed Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) which would enable the club to come out of administration. and yet sources give details of the meeting

It is also rumoured there had been no full discussion yet over any potential return to the Ricoh. so there could have been but might not have been
Sources also claim the next time all parties will sit around a table is at the next creditors' meeting with Mr Appleton on Tuesday - when Mr Appleton will hope the CVA is agreed. unless they change their diaries and meet today or tomorrow or monday. Surely to get the CVA agreed then common ground in this meeting will have had to be reached

Under his CVA proposals, ACL would get £590,000 return on CCFC's £1.3million rent debts from a £1.5m sale of CCFC Ltd to Sisu-related company Otium. no they get 25.95% of the debt that the administrator has accepted

Sources claim Mr West and ACL director Paul Harris were present at yesterday's alleged meeting - but Coventry City Council chief executive Martin Reeves, also an ACL director, was not. did all directors need to be there? Chris WEst is from the Council too and Paul Harris the Alan Higgs Charity

It is alleged council leaders were not present either. The council - which is a 50 per cent shareholder in ACL alongside the Alan Edward Higgs Charity - is usually represented by ACL director Peter Knatchbull-Hugessen, who is not believed to be taking part in the talks. why does PWKH represent the council ?

Negotiations between the two sides would be the first since March – when the club went into administration in a bitter legal wrangle with ACL. negotiations regarding rent etc ceased end of January

It has been viewed as a last-ditch attempt to prevent Coventry City moving out of the city and playing 'home' games at Northampton Town for up to five years under Football League-sanctioned plans, while a new stadium is built in the Coventry area.
It is understood Coventry City owners Sisu/Otium agreed to negotiate because they desperately want ACL to sign Mr Appleton’s proposed CVA. why so desperate?

It is thought Coventry City will insist on ACL signing the CVA before there can be any second round of discussions over playing at the Ricoh. wonder if ACL & Council will insist the judicial review is ceased also? so if the dont sign then CCFC dont come back to play at the Ricoh, but the second round SISU of talks are only a perhaps so no guarantee they will there either

The club wants CCFC Limited to exit administration so that a Football League transfer embargo can be lifted and new players signed. is that the only reason?

The earliest the club can come out of administration is three weeks into the new season which starts in ten days – as a 28-day “cooling off” period must follow any CVA agreement. assuming that the CVA meeting is not adjourned again

Mr Appleton has stated the alternative to CCFC Ltd exiting administration via a CVA is liquidation – which could incur a further 15-point League deduction from the club’s 2013/14 League One campaign.

There are claims ACL would be willing to discuss terms over rent payments and who receives matchday revenues – after it previously offered to lower annual rent from £1.3m to £400,000. possibly but we do not know - they might just be willing to discuss a very low rent knowing how much CCFC can make in ticket sales at the Ricoh

Many believe the major stumbling blocks to any ultimate agreement are a breakdown in trust between the two sides - and that Ms Seppala will seek 100 per cent ownership of the Ricoh, and that ACL will not want to sell on those terms. No really a break down in trust who would have thought it after all this time. Are ACL or its stakeholders even considering such a sale or even a part sale, ACL is apparently bust according to TF so most unlikely to get their stake back from SISU. Certainly ownership could get SISU out of a big growing money pit
Another major problem is Sisu’s outstanding High Court application for a judicial review against Coventry City Council’s £14m taxpayer deal in January to buy out ACL’s ‘mortgage’ bank loan. it was a loan that CCC got from the Public Works Loan Body not taxpayer money given as a grant, it is being repaid with interest

The club claims the council acted against ‘state aid’ laws, created unfair competition and sought to “wrest control” of the club from its lawful owners – allegations the council denies and yet Northampton have done something similar and SISU still control CCFC

Just a few thoughts really, am not in best of moods so not very positive about the article

The only thing that is positive is that they are talking....... whilst that happens there is hope of us being back where we belong

Houdi

Looking on the brightside with the 'reported' sales of 160 season tickets at £207 each, that raises SISU just over £33,000 that means the club has nearly covered 1/3 of the reputed rent already. :D. Mind you doesn't leave much for staff/player wages, or legal bills, or administration costs, or transport costs, or VAT payments, or National Insurance payments, or purchasing development land, or the cost of getting planning permission approved, or the cost of new road infrastructure. In view of all this wouldn't SISU be best advised in opposing the CVA as well, and thus saving having to pay ACL over 1/2 a million.:claping hands:

Danceswithhorses

Looking on the brightside with the 'reported' sales of 160 season tickets at £207 each, that raises SISU just over £33,000 that means the club has nearly covered 1/3 of the reputed rent already. :D. Mind you doesn't leave much for staff/player wages, or legal bills, or administration costs, or transport costs, or VAT payments, or National Insurance payments, or purchasing development land, or the cost of getting planning permission approved, or the cost of new road infrastructure. In view of all this wouldn't SISU be best advised in opposing the CVA as well, and thus saving having to pay ACL over 1/2 a million.:claping hands:

Even if ACL accepted the CVA, and were due the £500k, who's to say that SISU would actually pay it - their payment record is frankly appalling.

James Smith

Might be bullshit but its obvious sisu are looking to build a stadium.only an idiot would think their game plan is to be in Northampton forever.

Club needs to own its stadium, time for council to sell it back to us. Either that or demolish it out of spite

But the council are heroes right? They wouldn't do such a thing?

Do the right thing CCC and sell sell sell.
To anyone but SISU.

James Smith

I doubt Northampton would have announced the arrangement on their website if nothing had been signed. If they did then they are very very stupid people.

That said, we have no idea of what clauses are in that deal, it may be that a specific "Ricoh-return" get out clause is in there. Perhaps SISU just bunged Northampton a few quid to make the announcement knowing that there would be uproar from the fans and ACL would be forced to come back with fresh terms.

For all the shit and ruction SISU have caused, they are not stupid. I wouldnt be at all surprised if ACL is taken over by SISU as a result of these last ditch talks. No one buys ACL's nonsense about being able to survive without City playing there, its all just been one massive game of Chicken and by the looks of things SISU are better at it.

Much as I want them gone, the fastest way to do that is to sell ACL to them, put the bricks and mortar on a long long lease from the council and then SISU will sell club and stadium combined for a profit. We all know there isnt really £60 million of debt so they wouldnt even have to sell it for that high a price.
I wonder if we do move to Sixfields and ACL do survive somehow without us somehow, are Tim and Joy actually going to build the White Elephant stadium? For how long are we going to be tenants of NTFC and will there be any actual land purchases and planning permission requests soon, let alone any hint of building work?

hutch1972

I wonder if we do move to Sixfields and ACL do survive somehow without us somehow, are Tim and Joy actually going to build the White Elephant stadium? For how long are we going to be tenants of NTFC and will there be any actual land purchases and planning permission requests soon, let alone any hint of building work?
In a word mate, No !!

James Smith

In a word mate, No !!
Right so basically we'll be homeless and relying on SISU to build us a stadium so we're not Northampton's paying guests forever more. You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath on a new ground being built. :whistle:

hutch1972

Right so basically we'll be homeless and relying on SISU to build us a stadium so we're not Northampton's paying guests forever more. You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath on a new ground being built. :whistle:
James , personally i cannot see ACL lasting too long without a major tennant. Ok so sisu have not paid any rent but the olympics have filled some of the gap for last year, but stormy times ahead me thinks.

chiefdave

SISU aren't going to build a stadium. They might buy the land, they can hold onto that and sell it on in a few years without losing anything. They might even come up with some plans, off the shelf stadium plans can't cost much in the grand scheme of things but there's no way a single brick will be laid. It just doesn't make sense on any level for them to do it, by the time a new stadium is build (and I think you're looking at 5 years plus if it is actually going to happen) there will be no fan base left and chances are if we haven't dropped to non league we'll be in L2 and £100m in debt.

At some point when they realise ACL can survive without them they will have to throw in the towel, the question will be if they do it in such a way that allows someone to come in and takeover (assuming no redevelopment at the Ricoh we can be moved back) or will they find some spiteful way to see the club off for good?

stupot07

physical operation of the stadium not the finances

Turnover can be important but which would you rather have 10% of £1m or 30% of 500k. You can not focus on turnover if most of it goes in costs (and largely costs that get paid straight away)

Events who knows - was just asking people to keep a bit more of an open mind nothing more. Right now none of us know if ACL have made contingency plans in other ways - would be poor management if they had not made some in roads in to the process. In any case do the events need to be on the stadium sell out standard?

It probably is not feasible because the original build did not allow for that kind of expansion making it very expensive and because the return on capital invested would be poor given how much it would cost

It could be 9% last year of stadium turnover in that 2012/13 included the Olympics which would inflate total turnover whilst the CCFC footfall was at an all time low for the stadium

Would you say 10% profit on food and beverages is a big crap?

SkyBlueUkeman

I'm sure the lure of midland combination division 2 will deal the deal for PHIV

Less the lure of the midland combination, more the statue of him next to Jimmy Hill in 20 years time, with us supporting a self sustaining giant club at at time when all other clubs around are suffering from the collapse of The premier league and English football as a whole...

...maybe...

James Smith

James , personally i cannot see ACL lasting too long without a major tennant. Ok so sisu have not paid any rent but the olympics have filled some of the gap for last year, but stormy times ahead me thinks.

But suppose they do survive and find another use for the pitch, maybe they aren't just saying that they can survive and actually can? Not only do we then have no home but SISU would then have to go through with their stadium and I think we all know how likely that is. I've always relied on the fact that we'll have the Ricoh to fall back on if something goes wrong with the Sixfields deal but that's looking less and less likely. We've never actually been homeless since I started supporting the Sky Blues - and it's a very scary prospect.

Last edited:

skybluejelly

Just speaking to my brother..and one of his Masonic brothers..is very up to date on rugby planning matters ..and he has told him that the proposed site is the old garden centre opposite the speedway stadium not the stadium itself..they want the stadium site for parking etc ..but the actual football stadium is proposed for the other side of the road... My brother has no interest in football whatsoever so has nothing to gain from making it up...and is probably why rugby borough council can happily deny it being at the speedway stadium

Spionkop

That site backs onto Brandon Woods, which is listed in the Domesday Book. Belongs to a well established charity and well protected by law. Not a cat in hell's chance and certainly not big enough. Where do they dream them up.

skybluejelly

I had the same argument with him .. But he says by all accounts 26 acres ... I can't see it myself..and hope its a load of bollocks .. But his source is fairly reliable

Last edited:

Spionkop

If Northampton goes ahead we should be making plans for 2014 season. A new CCFC at the Ricoh. & watch us kick Sisu Northampton out of sight. They'll collapse with us getting support in our own town.
Stupot, you're a real defeatist pain in the arse.

stupot07

If Northampton goes ahead we should be making plans for 2014 season. A new CCFC at the Ricoh. & watch us kick Sisu Northampton out of sight. They'll collapse with us getting support in our own town.
Stupot, you're a real defeatist pain in the arse.

Isn't it more defeatist to say "feck it you win sisu you can keep the sky blues and we'll start from scratch 8/9 league lower"?

skybluericoh

Might be bullshit but its obvious sisu are looking to build a stadium.only an idiot would think their game plan is to be in Northampton forever.

Club needs to own its stadium, time for council to sell it back to us. Either that or demolish it out of spite

But the council are heroes right? They wouldn't do such a thing?

Do the right thing CCC and sell sell sell.
Please do not sell to these sharks!! This ground share and build will be costing well in excess of 30 million, if SISU offered that kind of money then I'm sure that ACL would be interested, but then SISU would come out with something like only for the free hold not a lease... IMO just trying to stress ACL into signing deals a below market value, get it as cheap as poss, pile more debt in, the list goes on.

mrbluesky87

Isn't it more defeatist to say "feck it you win sisu you can keep the sky blues and we'll start from scratch 8/9 league lower"?
I wouldn't call a March of 5,000 defeatist however at some point you have to realise in the grand scheme of things the fans mean nothing to SISU.

SuperCov

At some point when they [SISU] realise ACL can survive without them they will have to throw in the towel

I can't see SISU throwing in the towel, they'll just find another excuse to drag this out further.

If it goes belly up it'll be our fault for not turning up. It's never their fault.....! :rolleyes:

Play Up Sky Blues

Sent using Tapatalk 2

nothing will happen for 10 or 11 days yet. this meeting is just the first. Sisu are playing a blinder though, i see ACL seeing the light soon.

You really are a massive knob!

stupot07

I wouldn't call a March of 5,000 defeatist however at some point you have to realise in the grand scheme of things the fans mean nothing to SISU.

I was referring to the post that hopes that PHIV comes in, buys ACL and starts AFC Coventry.

James Smith

nothing will happen for 10 or 11 days yet. this meeting is just the first. Sisu are playing a blinder though, i see ACL seeing the light soon.
And do you feel like answering the question about council loans (both Swansea and ours) that I asked you in this thread #143 and you've yet to answer?

Users who are viewing this thread