Car Repairs (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Need to sort my car out finally, it's been fucked sitting in my car park all summer but now the season is here I'll actually need to use it.

I need to replace all 4 brake discs and pads and it could do with a new cam belt too before I feel comfortable driving again.

I'm useless with mechanics, what should I be being quoted that isn't a rip off?

2011 golf if it helps.

Nick

Administrator
If you are looking at smaller garages, probably about £350 - £450 for the Cam Belt / Water Pump etc.

Discs and pads probably about the same depending on who and where does it?

Nick

Administrator
Yeah it's squeaking now so I think it's getting loose. I don't want to risk it and fuck the engine.

Are you sure it's the cam belt and not one of the other belts? Yeah if it is that one then worth getting it done (or at least checked).

skybluetony176

Cam belts don’t tend to squeak. The pulleys are toothed and so is a cam belt to match. Squeaking tends to be from a fan/alternator belt as the pulleys are smooth and the teeth on the belt are purely there to allow the belt to navigate the curvature of the pulleys, so they start slipping with age, which squeaks. When a cam belt goes they just snap without warning, which is why you have to change them regularly.

wingy

Cam belts don’t tend to squeak. The pulleys are toothed and so is a cam belt to match. Squeaking tends to be from a fan/alternator belt as the pulleys are smooth and the teeth on the belt are purely there to allow the belt to navigate the curvature of the pulleys, so they start slipping with age, which squeaks. When a cam belt goes they just snap without warning, which is why you have to change them regularly.
What interval is recommended for cambelt replacement and does the cars service history show whether it's been done.
Got a feeling the water pump can often make this noise.

bezzer

Yeah it's squeaking now so I think it's getting loose. I don't want to risk it and fuck the engine.

Highly unlikely it's the cambelt that's 'squeaking' More likely to be an Aux belt (Power steering, aircon, alternator).

As for costs, we had a couple of mobile mechanics I found on 'Who can fix my car' replace the front and rear discs and pads on my wife's X-Trail. They charged £400. Local garages quotes were £600+

Might be worth checking when the cambelt was last changed. 4 years/60k miles is the recommended intervals on the 1.6TDi VW lump.

Liquid Gold

Highly unlikely it's the cambelt that's 'squeaking' More likely to be an Aux belt (Power steering, aircon, alternator).

As for costs, we had a couple of mobile mechanics I found on 'Who can fix my car' replace the front and rear discs and pads on my wife's X-Trail. They charged £400. Local garages quotes were £600+

Might be worth checking when the cambelt was last changed. 4 years/60k miles is the recommended intervals on the 1.6TDi VW lump.
Was changed when I got it which was nearly 5 years ago so probably worth doing anyway.

skybluetony176

What interval is recommended for cambelt replacement and does the cars service history show whether it's been done.
Got a feeling the water pump can often make this noise.
Depends on the make and model normally. Two measurements usually as well, one based on mileage one based on age, whichever comes first. From personal experience water pump noise is usually caused by worn bearings so it more a metallic, grinding noise rather than a squeaking noise.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Actually any advice on sorting out a dented bumper on the cheap ? I was told that boiling water over it the pushing it out would do the trick but I’m not convinced

Liquid Gold

Actually any advice on sorting out a dented bumper on the cheap ? I was told that boiling water over it the pushing it out would do the trick but I’m not convinced
I really fucked up a door once with a big dent and scrape and was quotes £900 to repair it so I bought a matching door on eBay for £90 and fitted it myself. Could prob do the same with a bumper.

Liquid Gold

Mrs workmate's fella turned out to be a VW engineer so he said he would do it on the cheap for us, parts at cost and then a bit of labour.

Got 4 new pads and disks for £190 and he's got a whole new set of belts and water pump ordered for £240.

I'm taking this as a huge win.

Users who are viewing this thread