Can England Win Euro 2016 ? (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Hodgson says he's building for the future so in two years time with our gifted youngsters we should be aiming to win Euro 2016. We have talented young players currently but not a talented team so he has a lot of hard work ahead of him to make them into a formidable side.So can he turn them into winners ?

Otis

Nope. Course not.

Don't get this 'all these talented youngsters' the press and pundits are going on about. What ALL talented youngsters? Had we had a teamfull I would of course be optimistic, but when you look back to 2006 (Beckham, Rooney, Ferdinand, Neville, Ashley Cole, Owen, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard, Sol Campbell etc.) we had quite a number of very talented players.

Okay, so now we have Barclay and Sterling and maybe Ox and Shaw, but then who? We have a few, but only a few. 3 or 4 very good players isn't going to do it for us.

Think we need to find a few more gems before we start bleating about potentially winning anything at all!

stupot07

No, we can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

bringbackrattles

Nope. Course not.

Don't get this 'all these talented youngsters' the press and pundits are going on about. What ALL talented youngsters? Had we had a teamfull I would of course be optimistic, but when you look back to 2006 (Beckham, Rooney, Ferdinand, Neville, Ashley Cole, Owen, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard, Sol Campbell etc.) we had quite a number of very talented players.

Okay, so now we have Barclay and Sterling and maybe Ox and Shaw, but then who? We have a few, but only a few. 3 or 4 very good players isn't going to do it for us.

Think we need to find a few more gems before we start bleating about potentially winning anything at all!
Otis don't you rate Wilshere,Stones,and Sturridge is young isn't he ?

Otis

I do rate Wilshere.

Jury still out on him at international level though. I really like him as a player, but he has been a bit headless chicken at times for England and lost the ball in key areas.

Sturridge I like, but while he will score I don't feel he is the natural finisher we need. Much more likely to get special strikes and wonder goals than the bread and butter poacher types. Worst fault for me is that he often wants that extra touch with the ball, rather than having a natural goal scorer's instinct to hit it first time.

I haven't seen enough of Stones to comment.

We desperately need quality defenders and a few of them at that!

SkyBlue_Bear83

No, we can have a decent tournament if Ox, Sterling, Barkley and Shaw turn into world beaters over the next two years.

stupot07

I do rate Wilshere.

Jury still out on him at international level though. I really like him as a player, but he has been a bit headless chicken at times for England and lost the ball in key areas.

Sturridge I like, but while he will score I don't feel he is the natural finisher we need. Much more likely to get special strikes and wonder goals than the bread and butter poacher types. Worst fault for me is that he often wants that extra touch with the ball, rather than having a natural goal scorer's instinct to hit it first time.

I like Wilshire but as Scholes quite rightly said, he's not progressed at all since he was 17. I really expected him to be first name on the team sheet by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Yep.

Was expecting him to be the main cog in the England wheel. The player who made things tick and controlled and ran games.

Sometimes he can disappear a bit from games. He's still young though and he does have a good footballing brain and a bit of skill about him and is very comfortable on the ball. Quite strong too.

He needs to take the next step up though.

Doesn't help that he gets just bit parts in England games either at times.

bringbackrattles

I do rate Wilshere.

Your spot on about defenders as they seem a bit thin on the ground.We may have quality coming through but sadly not at the back.

SkyBlue_Bear83

When he was a kid Wilshere was described as a great dribbler and very much an attacking midfielder maybe to play in the number 10 role.

For whatever reason when he progressed to the first team he's been used as more of a box to box/deep central midfielder role and he doesn't have the passing range for that.

turlykerd

NO .... Doesn't matter if we have a team of pele's messi's and maradona's ..... They would all be playing for Roy, so pele would be left wingback, messi and maradona on the bench incase our back off and play deep tactics leaves us falling behind during a game and

Unless Roy learns from this , which I really hope he does, I don't think England have a hope in hell of performing in any major.championship s.

I can see an easy qualifying campaign with the group were in, and we'll all pat ourselves on the back and blow out of all proportion our chances of winning and then we'll fall as flat as always :(

Otis

I think an awful lot of it comes down to belief and not giving other teams too much respect.

I think sometimes we look and think Ooh, It's Italy, they are a good side. France! Germany. They have top players.

Too much respect for other teams and a lack pf self belief in ourselves. I bet no USA team goes out onto the field in awe of the opposition. You need a bit of self belief and a bit of cockiness and and a great spirit and confidence.

Lost count of the amount of games England have played in the past and been slightly in awe of the 'superior' opposition.

Otis

Good case in point again tonight. Ghana are showing no fear in the game against the Germans. No respect or awe. They are giving them a good game so far and making a real fist of it.

Now put England in Ghana's shoes tonight. Would we be showing no fear or respect against the Germans?

wingy

We seemed to play more Freely during Qualification ,a very good start to Roys tenure .

For whatever reason the friendlies and then the actual tournament have seen us far too cautious .

Is It the change In personel ,maybe but the approach Is certainly the managers remit.

Otis

Cautious has summed up England for years in tournaments.

Always seem reluctant to give it a go. Seems like we are scared to lose and concentrating on that rather than striving to win.

Felt we showed too much respect to Italy and Pirlo the other night. Almost as if we just accepted his genius and did nothing to counter that at all.

Last edited:

wingy

Cautious has summed up England for years in tournaments.

Always seem reluctant to give it a go. Seems like we are scared to lose and concentrating on that rather than striving to win.

Felt we showed too much respect to Italy and Pirlo the other night. Almost as if we just accepted his genius and did nothing to counter that at all.
I'd love to see Hoddle back Involved with England,I don't think as manager as the media and his relationship with them would soon resurface .

However as Director of football with someone like Gary Neville at the coalface ,who seems an excellent communicator for team, match and Media representation could work
wonders.

Last edited:

Covstu

We are afraid to win at times this is why we will never progress. Teams particualrly in this tourny are going out with no fear and battling anyone (ghana and Costa Rica jump to mind!) whereas we look like we are afraid to really push the button. You clearly cannot go 'gung ho' constantly i appreciate, however we never looked like an attacking threat, the balls we put into the box were hit and hopes with no game plan of who was going to be on the end of them.

We are way off being a cup winning side sadly but hopefully this piss poor world cup will wake the FA, premier league up to put in some action. Talk of B teams etc are bollocks, we need to change the shape of the teams playing in our top leagues and only british quotas will achieve this.

Users who are viewing this thread